jogging and motivation thread

sph777

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2019
Messages
1,787
Reaction score
1,794
I think Stan chart also decent if you at the front of the pack.
Only got 2023 experience. Was at Pen C doing HM. I found it ok,was in the middle of the pen.

Unless the start is like income run or starting got some narrow path or turns,then it will become an issue I guess
as @Ender mentioned, many slower runners choosing the faster pens. First 2 km really have to overtake but still try to stick to gameplan on pace.
 

Tudo88

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
1,211
Reaction score
1,097
as @Ender mentioned, many slower runners choosing the faster pens. First 2 km really have to overtake but still try to stick to gameplan on pace.
Hmm then have to start at front of pen haha. When pen open, have to chiong there Liao.

Normally, I just follow those people that like to squeeze to the front when we arrived late to pen. I don’t fancy waiting 30 mins at the pen area doing nothing lol
 

Tudo88

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
1,211
Reaction score
1,097
if u buy 2 items on nike, 15% off, can get vf4 at 177
How’s VF4? I just realised that I did not get any Nike shoes this year. Last Nike shoe was VF3.

Was eyeing the Vomero lineup but the price a bit hard for me to want to buy it
 

sph777

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2019
Messages
1,787
Reaction score
1,794
How’s VF4? I just realised that I did not get any Nike shoes this year. Last Nike shoe was VF3.

Was eyeing the Vomero lineup but the price a bit hard for me to want to buy it
I didn't buy but only looking at the offers. @Kuudere can give you a good review on it though.
 

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
18,343
Reaction score
7,973
How’s VF4? I just realised that I did not get any Nike shoes this year. Last Nike shoe was VF3.

Was eyeing the Vomero lineup but the price a bit hard for me to want to buy it
Very different from VF3. VF3 was a departure from VF2, it lost the agressive rocker and adds more stability. It didn't feels like the racing shoes that make VF2 popular.

VF4 is now closer to VF2. The aggressive geometry is back. Less stable than VF3. Lesser stack height than before, so more still more stable than VF2. No longer market as a Full marathon but for HM and below. But I still think the stack height is good enough for a full marathon.
 

Tudo88

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
1,211
Reaction score
1,097
Very different from VF3. VF3 was a departure from VF2, it lost the agressive rocker and adds more stability. It didn't feels like the racing shoes that make VF2 popular.

VF4 is now closer to VF2. The aggressive geometry is back. Less stable than VF3. Lesser stack height than before, so more still more stable than VF2. No longer market as a Full marathon but for HM and below. But I still think the stack height is good enough for a full marathon.
I enjoyed the VF2 though but I have no room for another racing shoe at the moment haha.

Shall wait till next year when I start marathon training. Mileage need to increase to justify buying more shoes
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,270
Reaction score
11,571
Any idea how to solve shin splint ?

As Ender has shared, tib raises with the back against the wall and dorsiflexing the toes is the most basic basic / first line method to try solve it.....hopefully it'd work as a band-aid. (tib raises not the best exercise for anterior tibs strengthening but it's the easiest / most accessible and it'd probably still work in majority of cases).
Then when more or less fixed, dont jump in distance in a single session by a lot. Need to rest till the inflammation/pain has tamed down a fair bit before starting.....

^^^^^^^^^^^ Found it




If still cannot and the damn thing seems recurring, you need to regress your running mileage back to say 1-2km and start all over again adding 5-10% weekly. Then perhaps we need to suspect that something about your biomechanics is rare/special......ie same as some instances in cycling. We not PT/sports specialist so wouldnt know w/o an (expensive) in-depth assessment. And strengthen the calves and quads as well. Actually hamstrings also, and glute medius and TFL/psoas . ie everything. Mix of compound and isolation exercises via machines or bands is great.
 
Last edited:

Kuudere

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2016
Messages
25,948
Reaction score
17,186
Bro better take care of the hydration.......dont take any risks even if it doesnt seem to present any issues. We dont want any risk of the blood getting too thick / little viscosity leading to cardiac events.

For cycling, it can also lead to impaired decision making on the road and coordination issues.

Also why im not really keen on things like heat training.
I have to start doing hydration training, maybe 10km in, try drinking a gulp of water. Need to start experimenting so I can get used to it on race day.
good pace!!
Thanks, I like to do progressive long runs, helps me to focus and not become too bored along the way.
I didn't buy but only looking at the offers. @Kuudere can give you a good review on it though.
Same as what Ender describe. It just feels unstable, harder to manoeuvre around. But a lot of burst, since it’s lightweight. Very fulfilling to run at high speed.
Very different from VF3. VF3 was a departure from VF2, it lost the agressive rocker and adds more stability. It didn't feels like the racing shoes that make VF2 popular.

VF4 is now closer to VF2. The aggressive geometry is back. Less stable than VF3. Lesser stack height than before, so more still more stable than VF2. No longer market as a Full marathon but for HM and below. But I still think the stack height is good enough for a full marathon.
Yeah I wouldn’t recommend trying that shoe for marathon. Marathon probably needs a more stable and heavier shoe like Alphafly.

I think running economy matters a lot more for longer distances, so I will prioritise comfort over explosiveness. Most important is to end the race without getting injuries so it’s easier to train for the next race. The cushioning don’t seem to be sufficient.

Easier turnover and pop off. That’s what I felt when I ran with them.
 

GlassDoor

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2021
Messages
702
Reaction score
1,233
Any idea how to solve shin splint ?

from gemini and I must say very good advice

To improve running form and prevent shin splints, take shorter strides with a higher cadence, maintain an upright posture by leaning forward from the ankles, and land closer to your midfoot, with your feet underneath your body. Relax your lower legs and avoid overstriding, which can put extra stress on the shins.

Improve your stride and landing
  • Shorten your stride and increase cadence: Aim for shorter, quicker steps instead of long ones. A higher step rate (around 170–180 steps per minute is often recommended) helps reduce impact.
  • Land mid-foot: Avoid landing heavily on your heel or toes, which can increase stress on your shin bone. Aim to land on the middle of your foot directly underneath your body.
  • Lean from the ankles: To maintain good form, lean your whole body forward from your ankles, not your waist. This encourages you to land in the right place and uses gravity for propulsion.
  • Relax your lower legs: Keep your knees slightly bent and your shins relaxed to allow for a softer landing. Avoid "dorsiflexing," which is pointing your toes up forcefully as you land.

Maintain proper posture and core strength
  • Run tall: Keep your head, shoulders, and hips aligned. Slouching can shift your weight and put more stress on your lower legs.
  • Engage your core and hips: Use your core and hip muscles to move forward, which saves your lower leg muscles from taking on too much strain.

Additional tips for prevention and recovery
  • Check your footwear: Make sure your running shoes are right for your foot type, as the correct shoes can help correct imbalances.
  • Incorporate cross-training: If you have to reduce running, cross-training can help maintain cardiovascular fitness while your shins heal.
  • Consider stride width: Some runners may benefit from slightly increasing their stride width to reduce the stress on their lower legs.
  • Listen to your body: If you feel pain, reduce activity. It's better to rest or cross-train than to push through pain and risk a more severe injury.
 

basic___

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
6,866
Reaction score
657
Last weekend I was doing trial on my performance gel, those high carb and high kcal gels. One of them is the sis beta fuel with nootropics. I.e. it contain 200mg of caffeine and other stuff to keep you alert. Even for a daily coffee drinker , I couldn't sleep for that night. Kept awake till next day 9am. Alertness from the nootropic is too much for me, also gave me diarrhea 4 hours later after the run.
I will give the sis nootropics one more trial, maybe break it into two doses, before I want to decide to include it for the race.
That's why I dont buy caffeine gels. Especially if I take it for my evening long runs or workouts, think at night will insomia
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top