dev_stg_prd
Supremacy Member
- Joined
- Sep 1, 2024
- Messages
- 6,801
- Reaction score
- 3,037

Looks like i am not the only one. Those interested, can really give it a try if you plateued for long or your training program just could not work one way or the other.
Literally the mirror image of me, age.....distances, nature of training between run : bike ratio, timing also same :
And then there are folks who run so much mileage and train so much more....but unfortunately cant hit goals due to various reasons. Sometimes maybe it also depends on the individual responses on the stimulus or something, or end up injuriing themselves and need to back track, and then train again, then backtrack, then train, then...... vicious cycle
@rachaeljelliott
1 month ago
I know I’m not anywhere as quick as you, but I used to run 17s and 18s for 5k in 2008-9, and had to give up due to plantar fasciitis and switched to cycling.
I’m now blind and have got on the world class programme for Great Britain for paratriathlon. I now run between 25-30km a week only, but I’m now running 18 minute 5ks again - despite being 47 and only doing little mileage - but LOTS on the bike. Like Alex Bell, there’s a real place for the bike in improving your training and allowing you to train a lot more time with minimal impact. Thanks again for the videos. I make videos of my guided parkruns each week but they’re not a patch on yours!!
Is not jogging Motivation thread.
Is Jogging And Motivation thread.
Also, it's good cross training anyway. Even runners like Ben from Ben is Running channel and Ben Bridges from The Messi Happi decided to cross train recently (cycling specifically) and got pretty good results, helped with their injury.
Volume might be king in quite a number of cases, but there are instances in which it isn't, or you just cant afford to put that much solely into 1 basket.
)Just curious, how much cycling training are you doing? I just started cycling as well and I figured that I can cycle more than I can run. I run slightly less, 5KM 4 times a week and one of them is a parkrun which I would treat as a higher intensity or even max effort run.

I agree cross training can help. Decades ago, I was stuck at around 9:50~10:00m for 2.4km no matter what. Started playing squash for a few months and didn't do much running training during the period and didn't even bother to time myself when I did. On the next IPPT, I went down below 9:20 ( can't remember the exact timing, too long ago)
70k/week is like 6 hours of running for me. On top of that, still got to do plyometrics/stretching/gym strengthening (core, etc.)For average singaporeans with committments and want a social life, I think around 60-80km mileage is quite good enough to get you a decent timing with high placings in most races if you are training properly.
USA record liao.
Great....40cm is actually the height of our usual chairs as well. So srsly can do "wherever you want to".
I think after a few more times and conditioned liao, you would not even feel anything in your hips. For maintenance after a month or two, if there is improvement, see if it can be maintained with even 2 sets of 20, even more time efficient this way, but remember, the quality/speed/explosiveness must be there.
From a few weeks ago, i also started explosive training for my concentric motion in strength training, seems to have benefits in that action alone. It's also how some workouts in calisthenics are done, got benefits. Eccentric you can control and slow.
That is why i dont even warm up for the plyo, also coz im mixing it up with my band strength work.
Maybe is outlier eg, but still....... 11% for 5k in 8 weeks is MASSIVE
2nd video, can do it as short as 6 mins with that specific protocol. And yes, same 2X a week, same as what i have been accustomed to, dont over do it esp for the middle aged folks. (same for strength training, per muscle grp)
But i missed out what the second vid mentioned, which might be quite applicable for the others here if not doing strength. There needs to be basic level of strength first. Or just really slowly progressive load it up (lower reps per set).
For you is good, not even soreness (other than hips) after first session, even with no progressive loading. That means your circuit training etc has some strength benefits as well....or maybe you have also been doing strength as well.
I wish i had known such things sooner when in 2022/2023 i was doing much higher running volume. Might have been able to reach even faster PBs.
Wah lan, that time i really used so much time to improve so little, making excuses that old liao etc.
Or maybe not
Me. Still running. It's a real PITA.I have plantar fasciitis, now need to temp stop running for maybe 3 to 6 months and monitor the healing. Anyone have this issue? Sian.
I also ran 5km, but after that my heels will hurt even more, hence I decided to stop for the time being. Very sad.Me. Still running. It's a real PITA.
I tried measuring my bed and it's 58cm with the stand. I could jump on my bed and jump downwards. Jump height would be higher, only issue is that I need to land on my exercise mat to prevent foot injury from landing on the floor. Thankfully, I have an exercise mat. But for the time being, I will just stick to stadium.
There's ways to make it tougher > 1. more sets 2. faster repetitions 3. higher jump height 4. do with weights (dumbbell) 5. shorter recovery time
But for the time being, I will stick to the current workout since I can still feel the ache.
The video shows variations of drop jumps, my approach is similar to the guy at 11-12sec mark, but I do a full squat when I land after dropping instead. I do this 10 times, then I alternate with 10 box jumps.
I have plantar fasciitis, now need to temp stop running for maybe 3 to 6 months and monitor the healing. Anyone have this issue? Sian.
I also ran 5km, but after that my heels will hurt even more, hence I decided to stop for the time being. Very sad.
Me. Still running. It's a real PITA.
Can follow Wuss's suggestions.I also ran 5km, but after that my heels will hurt even more, hence I decided to stop for the time being. Very sad.
I suspect is triple whammy.How come you also have PF, you super consistent fella if i am not wrong.
Can follow Wuss's suggestions.
I'm mostly running only 100m/200m strides or sprints now. Stop once pain level goes to 7/10.
Did tried longer distance but first 5k is PITA. After that, pain subsides and can run more normally but I don't dare run too much.
Some experienced runners who had plantar suggested stretching and foam rolling the calves. Not working for me but I still continue doing anyway.
Also using ketoprofen tape and gel which seems to keep the problem manageable.
Previous injuries taught me it's better to continue working out instead of stopping totally. But need to reduce intensity la.
Managed to search for this vid. I remember this vid (RIP Bob), i guess is not as common. Plantar Fasciosis. It happens when you dont treat PF properly and it comes and goes and then leads to this condition.
The fascia then thickens and dont know what........leading to thickened and screwed up circulation, and then more pain.
Yes, active recovery and continuing activity is key in recovery, but it is a fine line between that and iron teeth "just run" mentality.
In that case, really need to go see podiatrist and spend the $$$.
Managed to search for this vid. I remember this vid (RIP Bob), i guess is not as common. Plantar Fasciosis. It happens when you dont treat PF properly and it comes and goes and then leads to this condition.
The fascia then thickens and dont know what........leading to thickened and screwed up circulation, and then more pain.
Yes, active recovery and continuing activity is key in recovery, but it is a fine line between that and iron teeth "just run" mentality.
In that case, really need to go see podiatrist and spend the $$$.
