[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

clause

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Messages
1,753
Reaction score
0
haha ok will try it out.. is there any good web tat intro apps for mbp ?? Like intro wat does the apps work for etc.. other then apple apps store ?

I'm not too sure whether there is such web, usually what I do is that I google the application that I need.
 
Last edited:

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2005
Messages
7,766
Reaction score
11
Intro some of the interesting apps I use :)

- Crossover
- VMware fusion
- OnyX
- VLC
- Pwnagetool
- iStat Menu
- Little Snitch
- iDefrag
- Weather HD
- SOG

And last but not least, Terminal :)
 

clause

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Messages
1,753
Reaction score
0
Intro some of the interesting apps I use :)

- Crossover
- VMware fusion
- OnyX
- VLC
- Pwnagetool
- iStat Menu
- Little Snitch
- iDefrag
- Weather HD
- SOG

And last but not least, Terminal :)


negativezero, have you tried parallel 6 before? If yes, which one do you prefer? VMWare or Parallel?

And does mac need defragmentation ? I though there is not a need for it ?


@mvp , Ahhh I see. hahaha. Well just take a look around or google top 10 apps i should have in my MBP? hahaha. :s13:
 

mvp1985

Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
411
Reaction score
0
negativezero, have you tried parallel 6 before? If yes, which one do you prefer? VMWare or Parallel?

And does mac need defragmentation ? I though there is not a need for it ?


@mvp , Ahhh I see. hahaha. Well just take a look around or google top 10 apps i should have in my MBP? hahaha. :s13:

haha ya lo I google...

I think mac dun need defragmentation bah ?? Even for window I oso dun do and it still in very good condition
 

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2005
Messages
7,766
Reaction score
11
negativezero, have you tried parallel 6 before? If yes, which one do you prefer? VMWare or Parallel?

And does mac need defragmentation ? I though there is not a need for it ?


@mvp , Ahhh I see. hahaha. Well just take a look around or google top 10 apps i should have in my MBP? hahaha. :s13:
Never tried parallels before. Got one license at home but haven't use yet :s13:

Its true MBP don't need to defrag, because it is self maintaining. But problem is the system only maintains certain files to keep the hard drive optimised. So once in a while, you need to defrag to really unleash the full speed of your OSX.
The only time you don't need to defrag is when you are using SSD.
 

clause

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Messages
1,753
Reaction score
0
Never tried parallels before. Got one license at home but haven't use yet :s13:

Its true MBP don't need to defrag, because it is self maintaining. But problem is the system only maintains certain files to keep the hard drive optimised. So once in a while, you need to defrag to really unleash the full speed of your OSX.
The only time you don't need to defrag is when you are using SSD.

I see I see. Kay, I will take that into consideration. Thanks! :D.


btw, wanted to change to SSD but the price too high up there for me. =/ Cause I will definitely go for the 256GB at least and that cost like 670 isnt. =(

I'm talking about the OWC mercury extreme Pro 6G 240GB. :s22::s22:
 

chlennis

Member
Joined
May 19, 2008
Messages
127
Reaction score
0
Can I just enquire, coz i am deciding to buy a MBP. it doesn't matter if i buy now or wait till lion os is released then buy rite?
 

iamvinci

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2009
Messages
1,673
Reaction score
0
Can I just enquire, coz i am deciding to buy a MBP. it doesn't matter if i buy now or wait till lion os is released then buy rite?

Don't see a diff for MBP as it got updated recently.
The only diff is u get lion os loaded when u purchase when lion is release.
Else I think if u get it now the os is still snow leopard n when lion is release u get to have it for free (don't know how it's done)
 

PsYkOoOoO

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2009
Messages
706
Reaction score
0
Can I just enquire, coz i am deciding to buy a MBP. it doesn't matter if i buy now or wait till lion os is released then buy rite?

If you buy now, you will be able to get a free upgrade to Lion when it is released. Like the poster below said, we are not really sure how they are going to make that happen, but at least that is what has been promised. Or you can wait about a week or two longer, since Lion is going to be released in the next week or two.
 

shawn_sboi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2005
Messages
11,254
Reaction score
4
THanks neg0 bro.

to get the free update to lion..

i think we will have to contact apple ourselves :) for those who buy from retailer like nubox/epicenter will have to go their store and upgrade.

That's was previously when snow leopard release they used this method.
 

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2005
Messages
7,766
Reaction score
11
I see I see. Kay, I will take that into consideration. Thanks! :D.


btw, wanted to change to SSD but the price too high up there for me. =/ Cause I will definitely go for the 256GB at least and that cost like 670 isnt. =(

I'm talking about the OWC mercury extreme Pro 6G 240GB. :s22::s22:

That price for the 240gb is very cheap alr, if you compare to other brands that don't perform as well, like OCZ or Intel, they are still cheaper. Don't think twice, just buy first. When you see photoshop boot up in less than 2 seconds, you know it is well worth it ;)
 

clause

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Messages
1,753
Reaction score
0
That price for the 240gb is very cheap alr, if you compare to other brands that don't perform as well, like OCZ or Intel, they are still cheaper. Don't think twice, just buy first. When you see photoshop boot up in less than 2 seconds, you know it is well worth it ;)

Hahaha. Tight on my budget. As I am still a student too (no income). Hope to buy in the coming 1 to 2 months. Need to save up first. :s22::s22::s22:

I bet you are really happy using the SSD ya. I can see from your sig, its OWC 240GB SSD.
 

clause

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Messages
1,753
Reaction score
0
Guys, do you all buy the Apple Care when nearing the 1 year warranty time or do you guys bought it straight away?

Anw, if I bought now and later, is there any time difference on when the warranty will expire? I'm thinking of buying from the forum. The link below. It looks like a good deal and trustable too.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2820816&page=32


Another question is that. Should I get the warranty and is it worth it ? Thanks. :D
 

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2005
Messages
7,766
Reaction score
11
Guys, do you all buy the Apple Care when nearing the 1 year warranty time or do you guys bought it straight away?

Anw, if I bought now and later, is there any time difference on when the warranty will expire? I'm thinking of buying from the forum. The link below. It looks like a good deal and trustable too.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2820816&page=32


Another question is that. Should I get the warranty and is it worth it ? Thanks. :D

Beware of people selling AppleCare without box.
 

clause

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Messages
1,753
Reaction score
0
Beware of people selling AppleCare without box.

However he can provided the box at 20% of his stated price isnt it? and Do you know any other seller that have better price ?

It seems 548 are kind of steep. =S

Yea I'm kind of a cheapo. haha.
 

shawn_sboi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2005
Messages
11,254
Reaction score
4
just tested crossover.

Amazing application!! similar to wineHQ but it's much simplier to use.
 

mikeeeey

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2002
Messages
16,056
Reaction score
861
hi.

from you experts opinions, should i wait for the newer batch of MBP which will come pre-installed with Lion OSX or there is no additional benefits. just buy now and update to Lion later when it becomes avail?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top