[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

davi502

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2005
Messages
4,610
Reaction score
57
You can set in System Preferences> Keyboard> Keyboard Shortcuts> Add a Finder menu item.
 

starsandstripes

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
856
Reaction score
0
Hey guys, my iMac booted up with a cricket-like sound, kind of like rattling. Does it mean a failing hdd? I had it replaced with a Seagate Barracuda HDD replacement program last july iirc.
 

blimey

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2008
Messages
2,239
Reaction score
10
Since it's a Mac 101 thread...
I check out the refurbished deals on apple singapore website quite often. One fine day, they only have a Mac Pro and Mac mini left. But a couple of days before that, i saw a whole lot of machines ranging from Macbook airs to Macbook pros and imacs. Can't be all sold within a day or so right?

And it has been a few days but the refurbished page still has the Mac Pro and Mini....no new additions
Anyone here monitors that page as well?
 

davi502

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2005
Messages
4,610
Reaction score
57
Hey guys, my iMac booted up with a cricket-like sound, kind of like rattling. Does it mean a failing hdd? I had it replaced with a Seagate Barracuda HDD replacement program last july iirc.

Run apple hardware test to check. Insert your Mac OS disc and reboot. During startup, press and hold "D".
 

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
39,711
Reaction score
4
hi all, i know the shortcut for moving to trash is Cmd+Del.

I would like to assign another set of hotkeys to delete, so that i only use my left hand, and my right hand can remain on the mouse/trackpad.

any idea how i can do it ?

I have already added the "Delete" button in my finder.. prefer to use keyboard shortcuts instead.. any help ? Thanks !

Use the right Cmd key?

/Dan
 

annen11

Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2011
Messages
230
Reaction score
0
You can set in System Preferences> Keyboard> Keyboard Shortcuts> Add a Finder menu item.

Hi davi502, thanks but it does not work. i set control+1 but it does not work..

Use the right Cmd key?

/Dan

Hey dan, using the right cmd key requires me to move my hand to the left side of the keyboard, which is not very efficient when im deleting large amount of files selectively.

therefore, would like the shortcut to be using my left hand, on the keys accessible on the right side of the key board..

any more ideas ? thanks for the suggestions anyways
 

IamWIA

Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
417
Reaction score
0
any tips on working with dual monitors on a mbp?
i tot the 2 monitor's desktop functions separately, but when i switch the desktop in one of the monitor, the other switches too.
would be great if they function as 2 separate entities.
or is there any software/settings that allows this?

thanks
 

annen11

Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2011
Messages
230
Reaction score
0
http://lifehacker.com/343328/create-a-keyboard-shortcut-for-any-menu-action-in-any-program

Were those the steps you tried? I've tried mapping "Shut Down" to cmd 0 and it works fine.

Edit: I tried and managed to remap cmd+1 to delete a file/folder.

bro, thanks.. tried cmd+1 and it works, but it does not work when i tried opt+1 and Control+1..

anyway, its remapping the Cmd+del to Cmd+1.. just curious, any way to have both sets working to move to trash ? curious, but cmd+1 works great for me now.. cheers bro davi
 

psyko

Master Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2000
Messages
2,612
Reaction score
0
This is happening recently.

I usually don't shutdown my MacBook Air, I just close the lid to let it go into sleep mode.

This morning as I take it out of my bag, it feels warm. And when I open the lid, everything's slow and sluggish. The system is using up all 4 CPUs.

I closed all the programs and did a restart and everything went back to normal.

Any idea what's wrong?
 

PsYkOoOoO

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2009
Messages
706
Reaction score
0
This is happening recently.

I usually don't shutdown my MacBook Air, I just close the lid to let it go into sleep mode.

This morning as I take it out of my bag, it feels warm. And when I open the lid, everything's slow and sluggish. The system is using up all 4 CPUs.

I closed all the programs and did a restart and everything went back to normal.

Any idea what's wrong?

Every time you put your Mac to sleep, your Mac will automatically create an "image" of your Mac before it went to sleep, so that it will wake up faster than, say, when you are booting up. This "image" takes up a lot of space in your Mac over time, and it is only deleted once you restart or shutdown. If you have an app that helps you look into what is taking up your hard drive space, you will notice a big chunk of it is dedicated to this sleep image. Naturally, since you are always putting it to sleep, it was taking up a lot of space and caused the computer to be slow and sluggish. Restarting it caused your Mac to delete that image automatically, and that's why everything went back to normal.
 

psyko

Master Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2000
Messages
2,612
Reaction score
0
Every time you put your Mac to sleep, your Mac will automatically create an "image" of your Mac before it went to sleep, so that it will wake up faster than, say, when you are booting up. This "image" takes up a lot of space in your Mac over time, and it is only deleted once you restart or shutdown. If you have an app that helps you look into what is taking up your hard drive space, you will notice a big chunk of it is dedicated to this sleep image. Naturally, since you are always putting it to sleep, it was taking up a lot of space and caused the computer to be slow and sluggish. Restarting it caused your Mac to delete that image automatically, and that's why everything went back to normal.

I came across a tweak to prevent that image from being created and applied it because I didn't want to do a lot of IO operations on the SSD. Right now it should save to ram.
 

PsYkOoOoO

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2009
Messages
706
Reaction score
0
I came across a tweak to prevent that image from being created and applied it because I didn't want to do a lot of IO operations on the SSD. Right now it should save to ram.

Seriously, though, you are running a SSD on the MBA. Shutting it down every once in awhile is not going to make much of a difference. Waiting a few more seconds is not going to kill you.
 

psyko

Master Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2000
Messages
2,612
Reaction score
0
Seriously, though, you are running a SSD on the MBA. Shutting it down every once in awhile is not going to make much of a difference. Waiting a few more seconds is not going to kill you.

What's wrong with not shutting it down?
 

Kijori

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,613
Reaction score
0
is there a utility app that can list out all keyboard shortcut key combo that are used by other apps?

i need to find out which app uses the combo 'Shift'+'O'. i can't get an uppercase 'O' with that combo. i have no problems with other alphabets.
 

dannychia

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2011
Messages
98
Reaction score
0
lol. think there's nth wrong, but you should reboot your system once in awhile cos all the memory'll be used up and it gets really laggy if you dont. not sure about the specific details, but i know that rebooting will do the job.

i think what PsYkOoOoO meant was just that you're using an ssd, booting really takes not a lot of time.
:)

It's just something you should be doing once a month or so, if you do not intend to put it to sleep. That's just what I think, anyway.

What's wrong with not shutting it down?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top