[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

iCubes

Master Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
4,768
Reaction score
1,338
Yes. It show two screens. but the monitor show "no signal".

I'm guessing maybe the resolution output is too high for the monitor? Maybe try changing the laptop resolution before connecting. Just my guess.
 

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
6,607
Reaction score
854
Yes. It show two screens. but the monitor show "no signal".

on your mac, click on the 2nd screen and adjust the resolution. once it is a resolution accepted by your external screen, it will show.
 

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
6,607
Reaction score
854
Can I buy eBooks through iTunes if my account is a Singapore account? If not, what other apps can I use, if I want to read eBooks off my iPad?

i tot iTunes books are free? they don't have a lot of selection

you can either download epubs or use other ebook apps
 

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
6,607
Reaction score
854
There are paid books like new York times best sellers list.

oh, i just checked the US store, you are right they have paid books now. and a large selection of free ones as well

if you have sg account, you can only buy in sg store which is still all free books.

only way is for you to start a US account, using a US credit card or buying iTunes gift cards.
 
Last edited:

Laneige

Honorary Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2009
Messages
115,052
Reaction score
16,755
Just go to the respective user ID store in iTunes and download again. They won't charge you for it as long the ID is used to purchase the app before.

problem is like i.e. notability. how to even backup the apps
the save up to google drive end up a disaster for me. Zzzz sad sia
 

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
6,607
Reaction score
854
problem is like i.e. notability. how to even backup the apps
the save up to google drive end up a disaster for me. Zzzz sad sia

i don't use this app, so can't comment much.

have you explored using iCloud to do your backup?
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,481
Reaction score
3,162
Can I buy eBooks through iTunes if my account is a Singapore account? If not, what other apps can I use, if I want to read eBooks off my iPad?

I'm mostly using kobo books. just buy on e site then e book will be available for download in e app.
 

Laneige

Honorary Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2009
Messages
115,052
Reaction score
16,755
i don't use this app, so can't comment much.

have you explored using iCloud to do your backup?

yea i did but problem is i cannot find the folder in iCloud or no idea how its going to be restored... hmm
 

galliano

Master Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2001
Messages
4,335
Reaction score
121
Help!

I cannot seem to uninstall Tuxera NTFS from my Mac (Mavericks).
- Its not in system preferences
- Tried AppCleaner. Does not detect Tuxera
- Tired installing another ntfs app, but the warning pop-up (trial expired) still appears
- FAQ states: If this fails for some reason, an uninstall script exists at the following location:
/System/Library/Filesystems/fusefs_txantfs.fs/Support/uninstall-package.sh

But how to use the "uninstall-package.sh"? Clicking on it opens up text editor.

Very frustrating.
 

dudepunk

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2008
Messages
87
Reaction score
0
Grey screen

Hi guys I'm facing a problem. I have a 4 years old MacBook Pro which has a broken display screen so I'm using an external monitor for it as a desk stop. Hand itchy so went to download mavericks to update the os and now I'm stuck with the grey screen of death. Read online and tried all the steps nth seems to work. Tried to restore the OS X via insert of the restore disk but I only see the default purple wall paper on my external monitor after holding done C when I restart. Anyone is able to help solve this so I can restore the OS., help pls thanks.
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,481
Reaction score
3,162
Help!

I cannot seem to uninstall Tuxera NTFS from my Mac (Mavericks).
- Its not in system preferences
- Tried AppCleaner. Does not detect Tuxera
- Tired installing another ntfs app, but the warning pop-up (trial expired) still appears
- FAQ states: If this fails for some reason, an uninstall script exists at the following location:
/System/Library/Filesystems/fusefs_txantfs.fs/Support/uninstall-package.sh

But how to use the "uninstall-package.sh"? Clicking on it opens up text editor.

Very frustrating.

the .sh is a shell script. try running it in terminal
 

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
6,607
Reaction score
854
Hi guys I'm facing a problem. I have a 4 years old MacBook Pro which has a broken display screen so I'm using an external monitor for it as a desk stop. Hand itchy so went to download mavericks to update the os and now I'm stuck with the grey screen of death. Read online and tried all the steps nth seems to work. Tried to restore the OS X via insert of the restore disk but I only see the default purple wall paper on my external monitor after holding done C when I restart. Anyone is able to help solve this so I can restore the OS., help pls thanks.


Clam shell mode

"Connect any USB device and close the lid. Disconnecting the device should wake it up and display on the external. Then, open the lid and use the keyboard and mouse to drive. (Or, you might need to have an external mouse and keyboard connected.)"

OR

The reason you don't see a menu bar is because the computer is extending the desktop onto the second monitor since it still thinks the main screen is working.

The key command for switching to video mirroring is Command-F1 (or try Fn-Command-F1). On some older models it's just F7 (or try Fn-F7), in case that doesn't work.
 

weird

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
3,747
Reaction score
0
I have the following:

1. windows 8 (office lappy) outlook
2. iPhone (personal phone)
3. Samsung note 8.0

how do i sync all the 3 calendar and contacts huh?
 

ipwntnoobs

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2008
Messages
5,073
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I enabled some custom gestures on my macbook pro trackpad (specifically, single finger swipe to top left hand corner to return to desktop) a couple of months ago. I suspect that Mavericks has removed the option of customizing gestures, the default gesture is pinch with thumb and 3 fingers now.

The problem is, even if I disable it, swiping top left or even up with any slight to the left will cause me to return to desktop :/ This happens when I use a mouse and move it up-left, please help.

[Edit: Problem solved. Turns out the gesture option was in Screensavers and Desktop -_-]
 
Last edited:

iCubes

Master Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
4,768
Reaction score
1,338
I have the following:

1. windows 8 (office lappy) outlook
2. iPhone (personal phone)
3. Samsung note 8.0

how do i sync all the 3 calendar and contacts huh?

Google Apps Sync for Outlook > ContactSync (Google) for iPhone > Google Contacts (native) for Samsung.
 

weird

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
3,747
Reaction score
0
Google Apps Sync for Outlook > ContactSync (Google) for iPhone > Google Contacts (native) for Samsung.

Thank bro!
This is only for contacts right? or also sync for calendar?
if use gmail, mean I need to clean up my gmail account contact?


btw, possible to sync 2 calendar ie home and work calendar?
 

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
6,607
Reaction score
854
I have the following:

1. windows 8 (office lappy) outlook
2. iPhone (personal phone)
3. Samsung note 8.0

how do i sync all the 3 calendar and contacts huh?

1) do nothing
2) add office outlook exchange account and you will see email, calendar contacts on your phone, ala gmail.

3) i believe should be same as 2 but I have no experience on exchange accounts on android.

do everything via exchange accounts and everything will be synced. do not go through a 3rd party like gmail as you will have to double sync everything.

i'm assuming your office uses exchange for outlook.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top