[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

iCubes

Master Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
4,768
Reaction score
1,338
Anyone here using AirPort Extreme?

I'm trying to do the following setup but unable to get it
M1 Fibre ONT -> Huawei (m1 default wireless router) -> APE (extend network) -> various devices

1. I cannot find my APE in the AirPort utility app (iOS).
2. Under iPhone5s wifi setting, i saw this AirPort setup. I clicked inside and pick the add to existing network. Next. Then error "an unexpected error occurred. Please try again".

how like that? any tips?

I think you should set to bridge mode. Its under Network>Router Mode.
 

stay8899

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2009
Messages
738
Reaction score
0
Anyone here using AirPort Extreme?

I'm trying to do the following setup but unable to get it
M1 Fibre ONT -> Huawei (m1 default wireless router) -> APE (extend network) -> various devices

1. I cannot find my APE in the AirPort utility app (iOS).
2. Under iPhone5s wifi setting, i saw this AirPort setup. I clicked inside and pick the add to existing network. Next. Then error "an unexpected error occurred. Please try again".

how like that? any tips?
Not sure if you are aware, you can request M1 to remove the Huawei router and use your own instead. I did and my setup is a lot cleaner and faster plus $2 saved per month.
 

stay8899

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2009
Messages
738
Reaction score
0
Anyone here using AirPort Extreme?

I'm trying to do the following setup but unable to get it
M1 Fibre ONT -> Huawei (m1 default wireless router) -> APE (extend network) -> various devices

1. I cannot find my APE in the AirPort utility app (iOS).
2. Under iPhone5s wifi setting, i saw this AirPort setup. I clicked inside and pick the add to existing network. Next. Then error "an unexpected error occurred. Please try again".

how like that? any tips?
Huawei -> AirPort Extreme using network cable or via wireless bridge?

If using network cable, just disable DHCP.
If using wireless bridge, set it up to bridge mode as per chehjin's suggestion. Personally I would suggest against it. Wireless bridge mode will reduce bandwidth significantly.

I tried both and decided to lay a cable and eventually do away with the huawei router.
 

iCubes

Master Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
4,768
Reaction score
1,338
If using wireless bridge, set it up to bridge mode as per chehjin's suggestion. Personally I would suggest against it. Wireless bridge mode will reduce bandwidth significantly.

Hmm, how did you arrive at that conclusion? I'm using bridge mode myself and I get excellent speeds.
 

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
6,607
Reaction score
854
Hmm, how did you arrive at that conclusion? I'm using bridge mode myself and I get excellent speeds.

i think there might be a slight confusion.

i assume wireless bridge suggested is the same as wireless repeating thats why bandwidth will be halved.

iCubes is likely on wired bridging which does not affect bandwidth (it does but negligible)


anyway, to troubleshoot weird's problem, just need to setup 2 SSID on 2 channels to test will do. but from the symptoms, very likely is 2 device have DHCP on and causing the issue.
 

stay8899

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2009
Messages
738
Reaction score
0
Hmm, how did you arrive at that conclusion? I'm using bridge mode myself and I get excellent speeds.
through testing :)

I believe you will still get good speed if your device is connected to the first node (i.e. Huawei router), however, the speed will degrade if your device is connected to the second node (Airport extreme) since node 2 has to communicate with node 1 via the same wireless bandwidth.
 

iCubes

Master Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
4,768
Reaction score
1,338
through testing :)

I believe you will still get good speed if your device is connected to the first node (i.e. Huawei router), however, the speed will degrade if your device is connected to the second node (Airport extreme) since node 2 has to communicate with node 1 via the same wireless bandwidth.

I think you are talking about repeaters or extending the wireless network.

My setup is creating a wireless network by bridging the connection from the modem/router through a lan cable.
 

stay8899

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2009
Messages
738
Reaction score
0
I think you are talking about repeaters or extending the wireless network.

My setup is creating a wireless network by bridging the connection from the modem/router through a lan cable.
yes, pardon my terminology, using lan cable to to connect between 2 routers (1st router DHCP on, 2nd router off).
 

Dynosaur

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2010
Messages
758
Reaction score
0
Hi, does anyone know if its' possible to change the DVD drive on the old 2007 Macbook.
Something is wrong with mine. I can't put any CD/DVD in it. I feel like something is stuck in my DVD drive but when I look inside it, there's nothing. Strangely enough, it is working fine sometimes, I can put CD/DVD in it. Has it happened to anyone here before?

Thanks in advance.
 

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
6,607
Reaction score
854
Hi, does anyone know if its' possible to change the DVD drive on the old 2007 Macbook.
Something is wrong with mine. I can't put any CD/DVD in it. I feel like something is stuck in my DVD drive but when I look inside it, there's nothing. Strangely enough, it is working fine sometimes, I can put CD/DVD in it. Has it happened to anyone here before?

Thanks in advance.

yes, can be changed
 

noobiee

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2005
Messages
44,687
Reaction score
756
Is recovery partition necessary?

i have just upgraded from hdd to crucial m500 240gb ssd. did a fresh installation of mavericks.

then i signed into icloud and realised i can't turn on "find my mac" app because i do not have a recovery partition.

what exactly does this recovery partition do? do i need it even if i have a bootable mavericks installation thumbdrive?
 

noobiee

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2005
Messages
44,687
Reaction score
756
my iphoto came pre installed on my macbook pro 2011, it was snow leopard

now i did a clean install mavericks on SSD, and now i have to purchase iphoto?

not free already?
 

kimsim

Suspended
Joined
Nov 1, 2008
Messages
1,689
Reaction score
1
my iphoto came pre installed on my macbook pro 2011, it was snow leopard

now i did a clean install mavericks on SSD, and now i have to purchase iphoto?

not free already?

iPhoto not list in your id for App purchase?
 

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2005
Messages
7,766
Reaction score
11
my iphoto came pre installed on my macbook pro 2011, it was snow leopard

now i did a clean install mavericks on SSD, and now i have to purchase iphoto?

not free already?

Your iPhoto should be on the DVD that came with the MacBook. Install from there then upgrade it from the Mac AppStore.
 

iCubes

Master Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
4,768
Reaction score
1,338
Is recovery partition necessary?

i have just upgraded from hdd to crucial m500 240gb ssd. did a fresh installation of mavericks.

then i signed into icloud and realised i can't turn on "find my mac" app because i do not have a recovery partition.

what exactly does this recovery partition do? do i need it even if i have a bootable mavericks installation thumbdrive?

Its not necessary. I've always relied on a thumbdrive for reinstallation.
 

noobiee

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2005
Messages
44,687
Reaction score
756
Your iPhoto should be on the DVD that came with the MacBook. Install from there then upgrade it from the Mac AppStore.

yes it is..

guess my mbp was the last series that came with the installation disc

phew


guess i won't be making a recovery partition after all

waste my precious ssd space, i'll live without the find my mac app
 

noobiee

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2005
Messages
44,687
Reaction score
756
1 more question,

just realised my m500 ssd is not trim supported on mac, is it a must to enable trim to prolong the ssd lifespan?

if yes, how do i enable it? thanks
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top