[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

SkimMilk

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,594
Reaction score
2
Hi All,

I have a question:

Is it really good to have Norton Anti-Virus installed on a mac ? Or is mac really so good that it's not necessary to install Norton or any other anti-virus software ?

Thanks.

I installed Sophos on both my wife's and my Mac. It's free, with free updates.
Don't need to get Norton. Just Google "anti-virus software for Mac" and you can read them up. ;)
 

Morugana

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2005
Messages
30,608
Reaction score
120
anyone can reco a cheap bluetooth mouse for rmbp13

preferably 20-30 bucks
 

Topaz8

Master Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2013
Messages
3,069
Reaction score
267
Hello
Like some advice on this. There's some Tumblr images can't display on the browser (using Firefox). Is there any solution or extension i need to install for this? Am on Mac OS X.

Anyone knows of any solution?

TIA
 

freeloadx

Master Member
Joined
May 31, 2008
Messages
3,232
Reaction score
1
anyone has a spare original mbp 2011 charger that I can buy from?
or where can i get an affordable one?
 

sparespares

Master Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2010
Messages
4,148
Reaction score
415
Hi,
I'd like to upgrade the SSD inside my 2013 MBP Retina Display from 128GB. Can anyone help provide some direction on how to do this?

Where to buy the SSD module? Which brand to go for etc?
 

dickster

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2002
Messages
955
Reaction score
1
i want to backup the contents of 2 z 2TB external HDs to one 4TB HD. I also need the ability for incremental backups. Encryption is not important. Any recommendations?
 

ricohttjj

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2011
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
External display issue

Hi,

Im using a Macbook Pro 13" late 2011 and external display (DELL S2340L Display). I use a mini display port HDMI adaptor and it was working perfectly for a long time when out of the blue, I could only get 720p resolution on my display. I have tried switching to other resolutions but the only other working resolution is 1080i and there is a slight flickering. I have also tried connecting to my TV and i am able to switch up to higher resolutions. I have found similar problems in forums and have tried to reset the SMC and PRAM, but to no avail...

If anyone could provide me with a solution, i would be very grateful.

Thank You.
 

ahsiao80

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2010
Messages
6,754
Reaction score
45
any reviews on the Airport Extreme? Was thinking of buying it to extend the wireless coverage in my house but not sure whether to go for this or Asus :/
 

Nykeeeee

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2012
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi guys I need help, so recently I'd just zero out data my mb pro, as I'm having problem deleting the partition. So after zero out data, I can't install back my os. I tried using the disk, cmd+r but nothing works. When I use the disk after just 2 to 3 mins the installation stops and says error, some files cannot be copied, and using the cmd+r an error 6002f came out. So how do I install back my os? Now when I on my mb a flashing folder with an question mark in it came out.
 

aamaterasu

Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
409
Reaction score
41
Normally when u update app like keynote/pages/ OSX or app in general, does it take up extra storage? This helps to save storage if i don't find the update useful
 

JLseah

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2010
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
I cant start up my Macbook Pro, it always turn to a grey page.

I cant start up my Macbook Pro, it always turn to a grey page.

1) Appreciate if someone can tell me what is root cause of the problem
2) The solution to it.
3) What would be the estimated cost to fix it.

It is out of warranty.

Thank you
 

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
17,512
Reaction score
19
I cant start up my Macbook Pro, it always turn to a grey page.

1) Appreciate if someone can tell me what is root cause of the problem
2) The solution to it.
3) What would be the estimated cost to fix it.

It is out of warranty.

Thank you

did you see a question mark folder icon flashing?

like this:

bade4172a6d6d61
 

FreshMaker

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2004
Messages
11,471
Reaction score
1
hi guys, previously when i close the cover/screen of my macbook air, or just leave it alone, it will go to sleep..

but since last nite, it will auto shut down instead... what is wrong..? has my mac got a virus? how to scan for virus, how to format...?

thanks...
 

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
6,607
Reaction score
854
hi guys, previously when i close the cover/screen of my macbook air, or just leave it alone, it will go to sleep..

but since last nite, it will auto shut down instead... what is wrong..? has my mac got a virus? how to scan for virus, how to format...?

thanks...

connected to power source? did it shut down due to flat battery? there are some cases where closing the lid doesn't put the mb to sleep.

why don't you check console and see if there are any hints to what is happening?

lastly, go to energy saver in settings and check schedules on the bottom right, did you set auto shutoff there?
 

FreshMaker

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2004
Messages
11,471
Reaction score
1
connected to power source? did it shut down due to flat battery? there are some cases where closing the lid doesn't put the mb to sleep.

why don't you check console and see if there are any hints to what is happening?

lastly, go to energy saver in settings and check schedules on the bottom right, did you set auto shutoff there?

definitely not battery... it says ur computer restarted because of a problem... dunno issit visit prawn site then kana virus... should i re-format...? how do i re-format...?
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,482
Reaction score
3,168
hi guys, previously when i close the cover/screen of my macbook air, or just leave it alone, it will go to sleep..

but since last nite, it will auto shut down instead... what is wrong..? has my mac got a virus? how to scan for virus, how to format...?

thanks...

Nope. it just turn to a blank page.

boot to safe mode, system will run some diagnostics that might fix yr issues...
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top