[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

davi502

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2005
Messages
4,610
Reaction score
57
I have the same problem as you. Wrote to Apple support and they said my MacBook is not eligible as it is too old.

But you can give it a try.

Have you tried contacting the previous owner? If the macbook originally came with an OS older than OS X Lion, you can install the iLife apps from the installation dvds that came with the macbook.
 

spiky0180

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2009
Messages
539
Reaction score
0
Have you tried contacting the previous owner? If the macbook originally came with an OS older than OS X Lion, you can install the iLife apps from the installation dvds that came with the macbook.

Previous owner said that the DVD is lost unfortunately.
 

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
6,607
Reaction score
854
Previous owner said that the DVD is lost unfortunately.

aiyo, if that is the case just go download the stock DVD image or get another DVD lor. The DVD is not specific to any machine.

you can also request to buy the DVD from Apple or 2nd hand from other users.

but if you go this route, you have to be prepared to downgrade your OS to match the DVD's, install the package then upgrade the OS again.
 

spiky0180

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2009
Messages
539
Reaction score
0
aiyo, if that is the case just go download the stock DVD image or get another DVD lor. The DVD is not specific to any machine.

you can also request to buy the DVD from Apple or 2nd hand from other users.

but if you go this route, you have to be prepared to downgrade your OS to match the DVD's, install the package then upgrade the OS again.

I made a boot drive with el Capitan in it. Because I upgraded the HDD to ssd. Will the el capitan boot drive have iLife?
 

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
6,607
Reaction score
854
I made a boot drive with el Capitan in it. Because I upgraded the HDD to ssd. Will the el capitan boot drive have iLife?

eh..depends did you load it into the bootdrive in the first place?

for mac when they still gave the physical media, the OS and iLife was 2 separate discs.

anyway, if you are going to do fresh install, then should have plenty of ways to get the SW into the system. Now, whether you will be able to bind a copy to AppleID, that i'm not sure.
 

spiky0180

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2009
Messages
539
Reaction score
0
Yeah I fresh installed the OS.

I created the boot drive with some 3rd party programme. The OS was downloaded from App store. Don't think iLife was in it.
 

davi502

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2005
Messages
4,610
Reaction score
57
Yeah I fresh installed the OS.

I created the boot drive with some 3rd party programme. The OS was downloaded from App store. Don't think iLife was in it.

Which is your model? Came originally with Snow Leopard?
 

BraveCloudy

Banned
Joined
Mar 12, 2016
Messages
2,991
Reaction score
0
How come my MacBook Pro (Mid 2010) the wireless sometimes can drop de?
means sometimes cannot connect sometimes can.

My MacBook Pro with Retina Display don't have this issue.
 

what88

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2007
Messages
6,562
Reaction score
21
I am having some problem with my MacBook display and it is only 4 months old; there are some rainbow lines on it and my screen only showing ~75% of the display panel.

FYI, there is no crack on the screen and my MacBook got AppleCare warranty.

Any experts/gurus out there know what is the problem? graphic card problem or something else ? Pleas help and thanks in advance.
 

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
6,607
Reaction score
854
I am having some problem with my MacBook display and it is only 4 months old; there are some rainbow lines on it and my screen only showing ~75% of the display panel.

FYI, there is no crack on the screen and my MacBook got AppleCare warranty.

Any experts/gurus out there know what is the problem? graphic card problem or something else ? Pleas help and thanks in advance.

macbook only have integrated graphics. chould be motherboard issue or screenpanel issue. just send in for apple care.
 

what88

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2007
Messages
6,562
Reaction score
21
macbook only have integrated graphics. chould be motherboard issue or screenpanel issue. just send in for apple care.

Sent to service centre yesterday and they mentioned there was an internal crack eventhough the screen panel showed nothing.

This is not covered and the cost for repair is 1k+.....:eek::eek::s22::s22:

May need to call Apple CSO hotline.
 

rayban

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2011
Messages
8,092
Reaction score
348
Send to Alab yesterday, Mine is a retina 15inch 2012 which fall under the graphic card replacement progamme.

Issue auto restart or shutdown at time, video streaming show distorted or square pixel... Which is certain emitted the problem on the recall progamme. Alab now change policy ask to pay upfront for diagnostic and say it pass all the test etc... Call up apple they say they have replace once for the logic board and thus it will not fall under the progamme again.Which the website did not state it only a one time replacement if the problem come back again they are not liable for it. So now have dispute with apple side as they dont honor their recall progamme
 

victorp

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2004
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
Send to Alab yesterday, Mine is a retina 15inch 2012 which fall under the graphic card replacement progamme.

Issue auto restart or shutdown at time, video streaming show distorted or square pixel... Which is certain emitted the problem on the recall progamme. Alab now change policy ask to pay upfront for diagnostic and say it pass all the test etc... Call up apple they say they have replace once for the logic board and thus it will not fall under the progamme again.Which the website did not state it only a one time replacement if the problem come back again they are not liable for it. So now have dispute with apple side as they dont honor their recall progamme
Apple Service Centre has a low-level diagnostic software that will test the GPU on your MacBook Pro for that particular issue in the Replacement Program. If that diagnostic passes, then it is most probably not related to that issue. You can try asking them nicely if they can stress-test your machine and run the GPU diagnostic again to see if it is heat-related. Only a failure in this particular GPU diagnostic will your machine then qualify for the logic board replacement.

My MBP 17-inch 2011 GPU failed on 13 November 2016 and the logic board was then replaced FOC. On 22 November 2016, my MBP screen went dark but I was unsure if it was the GPU. However, A-Lab replaced the logic board again FOC as I still have 90-day warranty from the first repair.
 

looka

Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2002
Messages
234
Reaction score
0
My iMac (mid2007) 20" still running fine. Can I have the HDD upgraded from 320GB to 4TB? I though of using the WD 3.5" SSHD 4TB Blue.
 

mochi8

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2012
Messages
1,278
Reaction score
74
I need some urgent help. All of a sudden, my mbp can't load YouTube videos anymore. The video is black screen & won't load no matter I refresh.
When I play fb game, it won't load also. It will only load when I click the stop loading icon.
I have tried to clear cache, reset safari but still the same. What should I do now?

Sent from Sony C6833 using GAGT
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top