[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

NPAmbassador

Banned
Joined
Mar 7, 2011
Messages
426
Reaction score
0
Thinking of getting an iMac - 27 inch, i do not really have a budget but i would like to get something more value for money for my own usage. The usage for gaming / video editing is very little, have some queries on certain options and would like to seek some opinions from fellow mac users.
Those in red are confirmed decisions, i have some queries regarding HDD and graphic card.

Specs for iMac

3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor
vs
3.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor
vs
4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - two 4GB
vs
16GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - two 8GB
vs
32GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - four 8GB
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
vs
1TB Fusion Drive
vs
2TB Fusion Drive (+$280 SGD from 1tb fusion drive)
vs
3TB Fusion Drive

From what i read, 1TB fusion drive only contains 24GB flash!! compared to 2TB fusion(128GB flash), it seems more worth to get a 2TB fusion drive instead of 1TB, what do you all think ?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD Radeon R9 M395 with 2GB video memory
vs
AMD Radeon R9 M390 with 2GB video memory
vs
AMD Radeon R9 M380 with 2GB video memory

i am not sure on which of the 3 graphic cards should i get, the graphic cards on AMD is 9 series 395 vs 390 vs 380, and not the m380,m390,m395, they're all only 2GB memory
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



based on current mac website - http://www.apple.com/sg/shop/buy-mac/imac
i'm leaning between

for S$3,548.00

or

for S$3,668.00

for paying additional $120 i'll get an upgrade from m390 to m395 and and 0.1ghz i5 core. not sure if it is worth it for me to get

in fact I surprise the 21.5 retina iMac using slower HDD than the mid 2011 , which using at least 7200RPM Hdd Whereas 21.5 retina iMac using 54 RPM HDD

lo , I brought it than realise it anywhere I just use for simple work , surf net for information and email. Indeed lag man , as default it already come with Siri OSX.

I don't mind as mention I just need another one for work


if you into photo edition than have to get SSD.
 
Joined
Nov 3, 2011
Messages
150,482
Reaction score
11
:s11:
hey guys I just noticed this minor bug

I noticed after install the latest OSX

I open the safari browser I noticed there like not fully display

you will noticed below of the page , got the desktop image

Hard to explain .....if u know what I mean here.

I even check on another Mac also noticed the same problem

so I can be sure is not hardware flaws is due to OSX bugs
 

zitseng

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
775
Reaction score
2
:s11:
hey guys I just noticed this minor bug

I noticed after install the latest OSX

I open the safari browser I noticed there like not fully display

you will noticed below of the page , got the desktop image

Hard to explain .....if u know what I mean here.

I even check on another Mac also noticed the same problem

so I can be sure is not hardware flaws is due to OSX bugs

Do you mean Safari browser in fullscreen mode doesn't occupy the full screen, and that part of your desktop is still showing? Doesn't seem to be the case for me. Safari really occupied the entire screen when in fullscreen mode.
 
Joined
Nov 3, 2011
Messages
150,482
Reaction score
11
Do you mean Safari browser in fullscreen mode doesn't occupy the full screen, and that part of your desktop is still showing? Doesn't seem to be the case for me. Safari really occupied the entire screen when in fullscreen mode.

yes full screen you cannot see the desktop lower part

but if not full screen , drag to occupy the space but the top task bar , like clock display

u will noticed below
 

zitseng

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
775
Reaction score
2
yes full screen you cannot see the desktop lower part

but if not full screen , drag to occupy the space but the top task bar , like clock display

u will noticed below

You mean the manually resized window doesn't cover the menu bar at the top? That's how it has been?
 

lchkelvin

Junior Member
Joined
May 4, 2013
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
I intend to buy a SSD to replace my HDD for my iMac mid-2011. Any recommendation for a reliable and reasonably priced shop to assist with the hard drive replacement?

So far I found macplus but they do not accept the use of my own SSD. Another shop I found is simplymac.sg but couldn't find reviews on them.
 
Joined
Nov 3, 2011
Messages
150,482
Reaction score
11
You mean the manually resized window doesn't cover the menu bar at the top? That's how it has been?

Full screen max you will not see that bit of desk top image below.


but if you drag to cover the screen left the top menu bar display there you will see it.

I don't know how to explain lor.

I got two Mac side by side both install Seirria latest OSX.

At first I thought huh ...why like that

than I check on another mac , same issues...

thus is not hardware problem , is kinda like bugs

anyway this is not so serious ...

this what I noticed. just hope next update from Apple will be good

even their iOS not good this time.
 

SkimMilk

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,594
Reaction score
2
I intend to buy a SSD to replace my HDD for my iMac mid-2011. Any recommendation for a reliable and reasonably priced shop to assist with the hard drive replacement?

So far I found macplus but they do not accept the use of my own SSD. Another shop I found is simplymac.sg but couldn't find reviews on them.
I doubt anyone will replace for you if you do not buy the ssd from them.

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT
 

desperado

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
645
Reaction score
3
Not sure this is the right place to ask. Thinking of buying a iMac, should I buy now or wait for next version? Any advice is appreciated.
 

iCubes

Master Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
4,770
Reaction score
1,338
Not sure this is the right place to ask. Thinking of buying a iMac, should I buy now or wait for next version? Any advice is appreciated.

If you can wait...it hasnt been updated for a while. Its due for a refresh anytime soon....possibly in the first quarter of 2017.
 

davi502

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2005
Messages
4,610
Reaction score
57
I intend to buy a SSD to replace my HDD for my iMac mid-2011. Any recommendation for a reliable and reasonably priced shop to assist with the hard drive replacement?

So far I found macplus but they do not accept the use of my own SSD. Another shop I found is simplymac.sg but couldn't find reviews on them.

How about Budget Macbook Upgrades?

https://m.facebook.com/bmu.sg/?tsid=0.02787536708638072&source=typeahead&feed_ufi=comments#!http://www.facebook.com/bmu.sg

Reviews seemed to be good but haven't tried them too. I'm sure using your own ssd is a common request since ssds are cheaper if you were to source it yourself.
 

uncle88

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2012
Messages
53
Reaction score
5
I just bought a pre owned MacBook Pro 13 mid 2014 model, 8G ram and 256 SSD. I being using window system only. The box which come with the macbook say it come pre install with iMovie, Garage, Notes etc. When I boot it up, it the apps is not there. I tried to download from Apps store but it say I had to pay for it.

I tried to do a factory reset but the out come is the same. Only the iOS is install with the common apps but not those install apps. Basically at the moment I being using the macbook to surf net and watch movie but can't do anything else.

Basically my intention of getting the macbook it to edit some movie from tour and do some write up from the tour. I still has my 7 years old window laptop but it too old to edit 1080 movie.

Can the Situ from here point to me where can I get the original installed free ?
 

SkimMilk

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,594
Reaction score
2
I just bought a pre owned MacBook Pro 13 mid 2014 model, 8G ram and 256 SSD. I being using window system only. The box which come with the macbook say it come pre install with iMovie, Garage, Notes etc. When I boot it up, it the apps is not there. I tried to download from Apps store but it say I had to pay for it.

I tried to do a factory reset but the out come is the same. Only the iOS is install with the common apps but not those install apps. Basically at the moment I being using the macbook to surf net and watch movie but can't do anything else.

Basically my intention of getting the macbook it to edit some movie from tour and do some write up from the tour. I still has my 7 years old window laptop but it too old to edit 1080 movie.

Can the Situ from here point to me where can I get the original installed free ?
Don't think you will be able to get those software free. They come free with every new Mac, but since it's is a 2nd hand set, the freebie was already claimed by the previous owner.

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT
 

uncle88

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2012
Messages
53
Reaction score
5
If you are buying apps, then you won't be limited to iMovie. Can search around for something that suits your needs best. :)

Most of the movie editing software is pretty expensive. As I only it for simple cut and inputing some sub titles, iMovie should meet my need.
 

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
6,607
Reaction score
854
i did a quick search and it seems the proper way is to contact Apple support and inform them that you have brought over this machine and you can't download the apps, they are able to transfer the ownership from the previous appleID to you,

Not 100% sure if they will do it for you or how troublesome it will be but they have a official policy regarding permanent transfer of ownership.
 

spiky0180

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2009
Messages
539
Reaction score
0
Most of the movie editing software is pretty expensive. As I only it for simple cut and inputing some sub titles, iMovie should meet my need.

I have the same problem as you. Wrote to Apple support and they said my MacBook is not eligible as it is too old.

But you can give it a try.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top