[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

PetPet

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
95,223
Reaction score
311
Hi guys, im using 2011 mbp 13

planning to hoot SSD today at pc show.

if im going to use it as primary HD. How do it? I backup my old files already using a different HD.

I read about downloading sierra and install it as startup disc in the new SSD, is it correct?

Hello,

1. Consider getting the SSD drives online. You may find cheaper deals. (Such as amazon etc.)

2. What I'll recommend is to get a HD enclosure, preferably USB 3.0. So this way you'll be able to transfer your files from your old HD to your new SSD

3. Yes that is correct :)
You may want to use a USB drive to install the macOS onto your SSD.

There's a utility called Diskmaker X that can help you achieve that.
http://diskmakerx.com
 

Eidekos

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2013
Messages
1,013
Reaction score
1
Thanks for your quick reply.

so basically create a bootdisk using USB flashdrive and install SSD in mbp then boot usung the USB to install. correct?



Hello,

1. Consider getting the SSD drives online. You may find cheaper deals. (Such as amazon etc.)

2. What I'll recommend is to get a HD enclosure, preferably USB 3.0. So this way you'll be able to transfer your files from your old HD to your new SSD

3. Yes that is correct :)
You may want to use a USB drive to install the macOS onto your SSD.

There's a utility called Diskmaker X that can help you achieve that.
http://diskmakerx.com
 

nivlac9

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2003
Messages
1,209
Reaction score
10
Hi I have a MBA - if I need to connect to hdmi/vga for presentations- is buying the connectors via apple shops the only viable option? Seems pricy to spend $100+ to get 2 connectors.
 

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
17,512
Reaction score
19
There are 3rd parties equivalent for u to choose from. You just need to pick the brands that is commonly seen in APRs so that you are assured of the quality..

Alternatively, u can try to borrow around I guess..

Hi I have a MBA - if I need to connect to hdmi/vga for presentations- is buying the connectors via apple shops the only viable option? Seems pricy to spend $100+ to get 2 connectors.
 

nivlac9

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2003
Messages
1,209
Reaction score
10
Haha okie. Will pop over to APRs later. Thx 👍🏻

There are 3rd parties equivalent for u to choose from. You just need to pick the brands that is commonly seen in APRs so that you are assured of the quality..

Alternatively, u can try to borrow around I guess..
 

yodajedi01

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,291
Reaction score
14
Is it worth to upgrade from Fusion Drive to SSD?

I'm thinking of getting the New iMac 27" Base model.
The S$2,588.00 Fusion Drive.

I had my MacMin Late 2012 with a 256Gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (Not n Fusion Drive)

I'm wondering, is it worth it to upgrade from 1Tb Fusion Drive to 256Gb SSD.
If the speed different is marginal?:
 

Sonic76

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2005
Messages
643
Reaction score
0
Hope to get some help ...
*If i upgrade to macOS Sierra, will my iMac become slow after that ?
*Does anyone have their mid 2011 iMac upgraded to macOS Sierra, how was the performace after the upgrade?

Here's my iMac specs:
macOS: Mavericks
Storage space available: 585gb SSD

iMac Description by Christopher Yeo

Thanks very much.
 
Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
17,512
Reaction score
19
I think it's worth a try..

Hope to get some help ...
*If i upgrade to macOS Sierra, will my iMac become slow after that ?
*Does anyone have their mid 2011 iMac upgraded to macOS Sierra, how was the performace after the upgrade?

Here's my iMac specs:
macOS: Mavericks
Storage space available: 585 GB



Thanks very much.
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,869
Reaction score
3,141
Hope to get some help ...
*If i upgrade to macOS Sierra, will my iMac become slow after that ?
*Does anyone have their mid 2011 iMac upgraded to macOS Sierra, how was the performace after the upgrade?

Here's my iMac specs:
macOS: Mavericks
Storage space available: 585 GB



Thanks very much.

I actually thought the bottle neck is the hard disk. If you upgrade your HDD to a SSD, it will perform faster.

My previous iMac 2011 21" comes with 480GB SSD and 12GB RAM. Was running pretty fast before I sold it.
 

Sonic76

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2005
Messages
643
Reaction score
0
I actually thought the bottle neck is the hard disk. If you upgrade your HDD to a SSD, it will perform faster.

My previous iMac 2011 21" comes with 480GB SSD and 12GB RAM. Was running pretty fast before I sold it.

Thanks for the reply :)

Will be upgrading to macOS Sierra on my iMac with 1TB SSD
 
Last edited:

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,869
Reaction score
3,141
Thanks for the reply :)

Will be upgrading to macOS Sierra on my iMac with 1TB SSD

I believe the 2011 iMac is running on SATA 3 right?

Not sure if you will notice any speed, but my new iMac 2017 is running blazingly fast compared to 2011 iMac. . =:p
 
Last edited:

Sonic76

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2005
Messages
643
Reaction score
0
I believe the 2011 iMac is running on SATA 3 right?

Not sure if you will notice any speed, but my new iMac 2017 is running blazingly fast compared to 2011 iMac. . =:p

Yes is running on SATA 3 but i have installed SSD Drive* to it and have it setup as the startup disk.
*Cloned all the files from SATA to SSD

I hope it will not lag if i upgrade to macOS Sierra.

iMac Storage by Christopher Yeo
 
Last edited:

mrtanbg

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2017
Messages
1,245
Reaction score
0
Dear all,

I would appreciate your kind advice and expertise.

MBA 2011

Problem with RAM, Beep 3 times, pause, beep 3 times, this is repeated.

Brought the MBA to a Apple Repair shop at Plaza Singapura.

1. 1st time, they change 1 row of RAM, problem returned, mentioned that it was difficult or not routine to change all 16 RAM chips

2. 2nd time, they changed 2nd row of RAM, problem returned again

3. 3rd time, changed both rows of RAM, problem returned again, as they have tried changing the individual rows of 8 RAM chips

4. 4th time, changed 1 particular RAM chip as tech mentioned that they got hold of a software that can detect which RAM chip is defective.

5. Problem returned again!!! Provided full refund, they say cannot help me anymore. Perhaps have to change motherboard.

My questions are
1. Is what they have done routine? To change 1 row of 8 RAM chips each time?

2. What are my options? Do I try another APPLE repair shop? Please suggest or recommend , PM if not convenient.

Thank you.
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,478
Reaction score
3,162
Dear all,

I would appreciate your kind advice and expertise.

MBA 2011

Problem with RAM, Beep 3 times, pause, beep 3 times, this is repeated.

Brought the MBA to a Apple Repair shop at Plaza Singapura.

1. 1st time, they change 1 row of RAM, problem returned, mentioned that it was difficult or not routine to change all 16 RAM chips

2. 2nd time, they changed 2nd row of RAM, problem returned again

3. 3rd time, changed both rows of RAM, problem returned again, as they have tried changing the individual rows of 8 RAM chips

4. 4th time, changed 1 particular RAM chip as tech mentioned that they got hold of a software that can detect which RAM chip is defective.

5. Problem returned again!!! Provided full refund, they say cannot help me anymore. Perhaps have to change motherboard.

My questions are
1. Is what they have done routine? To change 1 row of 8 RAM chips each time?

2. What are my options? Do I try another APPLE repair shop? Please suggest or recommend , PM if not convenient.

Thank you.

Apple has an official store at Orchard, y not go there? just make a Genius bar appt...
 

mrtanbg

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2017
Messages
1,245
Reaction score
0
Apple has an official store at Orchard, y not go there? just make a Genius bar appt...
unfortunately no longer under warranty.

I had checked. 130 for diagnostic test.

At least 500 to 600 for the change of memory.
 

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
17,512
Reaction score
19
unfortunately no longer under warranty.

I had checked. 130 for diagnostic test.

At least 500 to 600 for the change of memory.

Hamas, out of warranty machine should not go to Apple Store unless you are rich... :D
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top