[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

Rusty89

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2012
Messages
2,327
Reaction score
92
Guys. My 2015 MBA just die on me. It shows the flashing folder with a question mark in it. When I start it in recovery mode, I can only see the Base System and not the Macintosh HD. So it doesn’t allow me to repair or reinstall the OS X. Anyone knows how I would solve this? :((
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,482
Reaction score
3,160
Guys. My 2015 MBA just die on me. It shows the flashing folder with a question mark in it. When I start it in recovery mode, I can only see the Base System and not the Macintosh HD. So it doesn’t allow me to repair or reinstall the OS X. Anyone knows how I would solve this? :((

sounds like storage failure
 

Rusty89

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2012
Messages
2,327
Reaction score
92

Thanks man. Have seen this earlier and I would think my problem belongs to the last section:

“If you're unable to erase your startup disk or reinstall macOS, your Mac might need repair. Make an appointment with an Apple Genius or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for more help”

Guess I really have to bring down to the service center for help. Is orchard the only store that can help to repair?
 

arphamdb89

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2003
Messages
6,482
Reaction score
137
I would suggest you to arrange an appointment by calling Apple and make a trip down to Orchard Apple store. Go to the right staircase and head up and talk to any of the Apple staff that you have an appointment. Try to reach punctual cos they go by appointment timing.

For Alab and etc are authorised service center, I didn’t go there before as I have heard many bad stories from those.

So far, I have replaced EarPods and phone at Orchard. Hope that helps! Good luck and don’t vex too much over your Air!

Thanks man. Have seen this earlier and I would think my problem belongs to the last section:

“If you're unable to erase your startup disk or reinstall macOS, your Mac might need repair. Make an appointment with an Apple Genius or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for more help”

Guess I really have to bring down to the service center for help. Is orchard the only store that can help to repair?
 

Rusty89

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2012
Messages
2,327
Reaction score
92
I would suggest you to arrange an appointment by calling Apple and make a trip down to Orchard Apple store. Go to the right staircase and head up and talk to any of the Apple staff that you have an appointment. Try to reach punctual cos they go by appointment timing.

For Alab and etc are authorised service center, I didn’t go there before as I have heard many bad stories from those.

So far, I have replaced EarPods and phone at Orchard. Hope that helps! Good luck and don’t vex too much over your Air!

Hey thanks man! Really appreciate it. I guess coz I’m a laptop person and I use it for a lot of things so felt abit lost when it just die on me and I didn’t back up. Guess my photos will be gone. The Air is going 6 years so I guess it’s about time also and I should’ve backed it up.

I went down to the Apple store today and they were really helpful! But I guess mine is a lost cause and I need to get a new laptop. Will be going down again to try to salvage my data if possible
 

arphamdb89

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2003
Messages
6,482
Reaction score
137
Welcome! I had a Air “15 too, understood how you feel totally. Would recommend you to backup your files in iCloud (it’s quite cheap for the 50GB/200GB plan). Store your important documents in the iCloud Drive. They are accessible on your Apple devices. Alternatively, you can also backup with an external drive. Cheers.
 

jwillbe

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2004
Messages
1,152
Reaction score
1
Hi gurus, I am planning to a RAM and SSD upgrade for my iMac 2017 4K 21.5inch. I am still deciding between DIY or sending to a shop to do it for me.

Any reputable shop to recommend? If I were to DIY, any specific brands/models to recommend?
 

Greent

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2010
Messages
981
Reaction score
78
Hi gurus, I am planning to a RAM and SSD upgrade for my iMac 2017 4K 21.5inch. I am still deciding between DIY or sending to a shop to do it for me.

Any reputable shop to recommend? If I were to DIY, any specific brands/models to recommend?

For me, i will go for Patrick @ https://simplymac.sg/

Very friendly and experience person.
 

ychwzone

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but what would be the most value for money beginner macbook(i.e. air, pro, etc.) to get under S$2k? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
 

boliao45

Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
388
Reaction score
7
Apple is anything but price efficient. Want V4$ go with Windows laptop.

With a less than 2k budget, you'll only get entry level specs. So ultimately will have to depend on what your want to achieve with the MacBook.

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but what would be the most value for money beginner macbook(i.e. air, pro, etc.) to get under S$2k? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,482
Reaction score
3,160
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but what would be the most value for money beginner macbook(i.e. air, pro, etc.) to get under S$2k? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

e new retina MBA has refurb units available now. after adding  Care will be around $2.1k. 8GB ram with 256GB storage. decent specs.
 

arphamdb89

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2003
Messages
6,482
Reaction score
137
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but what would be the most value for money beginner macbook(i.e. air, pro, etc.) to get under S$2k? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, firstly welcome to the macOS! I would recommend a MacBook Air as a start. i5/8gb/256gb

There is a gold one refurbished in the store at $1768 now.
 

swiftest

Junior Member
Joined
May 31, 2015
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Repair of Apple Mac Pro PSU

Any know of Amy shop or technician who can fix Power supply for Mac Pro in sim lim towers , sim lim sq I tried can't do !! Thank you
 

swgj86

Master Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
3,995
Reaction score
127
Hi, firstly welcome to the macOS! I would recommend a MacBook Air as a start. i5/8gb/256gb

There is a gold one refurbished in the store at $1768 now.
i hoot the mba 2018 model refurbished 16gb ram/512gb storage.

upgrading from early 2014 MBA model.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top