[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

soeyism

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2009
Messages
847
Reaction score
0
i am doing a pc to mac transition

i got portable harddisk and external harddisk, seagate and wd respectively
so i am gg to do a bootcamp soon

i am sure pc can read and write both harddisk
how about mac?

if lets say if i am gg to use for mac, i need to format both to fat32 or something? can enlighten me :o

tia
 

crumpler

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2006
Messages
675
Reaction score
0
i am doing a pc to mac transition

i got portable harddisk and external harddisk, seagate and wd respectively
so i am gg to do a bootcamp soon

i am sure pc can read and write both harddisk
how about mac?

if lets say if i am gg to use for mac, i need to format both to fat32 or something? can enlighten me :o

tia

No worries about the NTFS formatted hard disks. Just download this program called "paragon", allows seamless file transfer between NTFS and Fat32 systems.

It's a real life-saver!
 

skipper

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
11,198
Reaction score
0
ok! really a life saver man
hahaha

then next time buy harddisk also no need specify for mac use only

3q3q

all hardisk are the same,Mac Specific disk sold off the shelf are just pre formatted to Mac OS Extended(HFS Plus) that is all.
 
Last edited:

psyko

Master Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2000
Messages
2,612
Reaction score
0
lol. think there's nth wrong, but you should reboot your system once in awhile cos all the memory'll be used up and it gets really laggy if you dont. not sure about the specific details, but i know that rebooting will do the job.

i think what PsYkOoOoO meant was just that you're using an ssd, booting really takes not a lot of time.
:)

We've gone off the track.

For 4 months after I bought my MBA, I've always left it in sleep mode after doing my work. Nothing weird happened.

It's only recently that it gets warm on it's own during sleep mode that I suspect there might be a problem in the recent firmware updates.

So I posted here to see if anyone else noticed the same thing, if so, I could try and file a problem with Apple and see if they could get it fixed.

Silly of me to expect any constructive response, lol
 

faruk55

Master Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2001
Messages
3,864
Reaction score
0
hi guys..
just bought an iMac..

coming into the world of mac is interesting...
but since I gotten this new set.. how am I supposed to do a restore dvd or a backup OS just in case I need to re-install the OS?
 

crumpler

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2006
Messages
675
Reaction score
0
hi guys..
just bought an iMac..

coming into the world of mac is interesting...
but since I gotten this new set.. how am I supposed to do a restore dvd or a backup OS just in case I need to re-install the OS?

I'm assuming it's a 2011 iMac with Lion pre-installed? If so, just hold down Command+R and Lion will restore itself.

Read more here.
 

faruk55

Master Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2001
Messages
3,864
Reaction score
0
ah.. i c.. thanks..
yup.. 2011 with mac os x Lion
so in the event of HDD failure.. so have to go through internet recovery?
 

davi502

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2005
Messages
4,610
Reaction score
57
Think apple is working on it...but the ones that came bundled with Macs selling in stores should be just the normal ones.
 

BlueBull

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,353
Reaction score
135
Can. Just connect both computers to your router and share a folder.

Hi

I tried this thinking it is as easy as that and while my MBP with Lion can see my Asus Win7, it can never connect.

Both are connected to my wireless WIFI router.

File sharing turned on, specific folder to be shared on Asus Win7 selected.

Read and followed steps from forums on how to enable sharing, still my Mac Lion cannot access the Asus Win7.

Anyone can advise?
 

davi502

Master Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2005
Messages
4,610
Reaction score
57
Have you tried going to Finder > Go > Connect to Server ?
Key in smb://x.x.x.x. Replace x.x.x.x with the ip address of your Asus machine.
 

BlueBull

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,353
Reaction score
135
Have you tried going to Finder > Go > Connect to Server ?
Key in smb://x.x.x.x. Replace x.x.x.x with the ip address of your Asus machine.

tried that, it opens an error that says:
There was a problem connecting to the server “ASUS-PC”.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top