[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

ilovewhales

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
1,462
Reaction score
0
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but any way to upgrade my storage for an early mBP retina ? Or any specifically any place in sg does it?
 

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
39,711
Reaction score
4
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but any way to upgrade my storage for an early mBP retina ? Or any specifically any place in sg does it?
For 2012 (First-gen) rMBPs, SimplyMac SG — MacBookPro Retina. It's out of stock though, so you're better off going to OWC directly and shipping in your upgrade kits.

Note that it will void your warranty. You will also need specialised tools to open the case.

For the latest rMBPs, they use PCIe modules. I'm not sure if they are available in the market yet, and if they are, what the price is.

It's usually best to upgrade at CTO, at time of purchase.

/Dan
 

Proximus

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 21, 2001
Messages
7,004
Reaction score
93
1 of the screws at the bottom of my late 2013 Macbook pro is kinds of loose. Can I bring it to any Epicentre, Nubox..etc to have it tighten? Or I need go to the service center to do so?
 

Epish`

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2008
Messages
11,377
Reaction score
0
Bought a Late 2013 RMBP. All i can say - Loving it.
Great product asthetics, fantastic screen. Made the choice after deciding i'm old enough to stop playing anymore games and instead, concentrate more on productivity. :D
 

MoDiE

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2000
Messages
8,399
Reaction score
36
anyone using macmini and connect to HDTV via HDMI? Hows the audio and video quality for playing back movies using say, VLC
 

bunnypangsai

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 13, 2012
Messages
9,939
Reaction score
39
I bought the digitizer :D Gonna DIY. So far I've removed the bezel and the cable connecting it. Waiting for the 3M adhesives to arrive before i replace it. Spent ~200 plus sgd?


Also, should I get the ipad mini 2 now or wait for the new version? Super tempted to get one. Argh.
 

barrysummers

Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2000
Messages
174
Reaction score
0
Hello. i am trying to reinstall windows 7 on my friends macbook pro.
one partition osx one partition bootcamp with win7
managed to get lion running again by going to disk utility - (option command r) and reinstalling it.
now, how do i reformat and reinstall windows 7 on it. (i only have windows 7 installation disk, nothing else)
 

asriznet

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
Also, should I get the ipad mini 2 now or wait for the new version? Super tempted to get one. Argh.

Doubt a new version of ipad mini will be out so soon as they only recently released ipad mini retina but if you wanna wait, a new product would probably launch around september/october.


Hello. i am trying to reinstall windows 7 on my friends macbook pro.
one partition osx one partition bootcamp with win7
managed to get lion running again by going to disk utility - (option command r) and reinstalling it.
now, how do i reformat and reinstall windows 7 on it. (i only have windows 7 installation disk, nothing else)

You can set it up using Bootcamp Assistant. It's located in the Applications/Utilities folder.

Guides can be found @ http://support.apple.com/manuals/#macoscomponents
 

donetus

Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2012
Messages
374
Reaction score
26
MBP (mid-2012) reverted back to Mountain Lion

I was using Mavericks previously and when my MBP (mid-2012) started acting up, I decided to reload the OS. I've done this several times and I would normally format the HDD before installing the OS.

For the reloading part, I would connect to the internet and let my MBP download all the necessary files. I was surprised as to why it reverted back to Mountain Lion. When I was using Mavericks (official) and I had to reload the OS, I did the same steps and I would immediately get Mavericks (by downloading it on the recovery part). Installation would only take around 40 mins.

Now that the recovery went back to Mountain Lion, the installation takes more than an hour and even more. Honestly,I can't even get it to finish installing the OS.

any ideas what the problem is? At LaptopGeneral Hospital, they said that it's a software issue.

I've also noticed that it takes awhile for it to gather the disk information under Disk Utility. If I select the harddrive and go to Partition, it's taking a long time as well for it to read it.
 
Last edited:

asriznet

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
I was using Mavericks previously and when my MBP (mid-2012) started acting up, I decided to reload the OS. I've done this several times and I would normally format the HDD before installing the OS.

For the reloading part, I would connect to the internet and let my MBP download all the necessary files. I was surprised as to why it reverted back to Mountain Lion. When I was using Mavericks (official) and I had to reload the OS, I did the same steps and I would immediately get Mavericks (by downloading it on the recovery part). Installation would only take around 40 mins.

Now that the recovery went back to Mountain Lion, the installation takes more than an hour and even more. Honestly,I can't even get it to finish installing the OS.

any ideas what the problem is? At LaptopGeneral Hospital, they said that it's a software issue.

I've also noticed that it takes awhile for it to gather the disk information under Disk Utility. If I select the harddrive and go to Partition, it's taking a long time as well for it to read it.

The reason it installed OS X Mountain Lion is because "internet recovery" only download the OS X version that was shipped with your mac computer.

What you can do to overcome this is by not booting into "Internet Recovery"(Command + Option + R) when doing a reinstallation.

Instead, boot to the "local" recovery system which is the recovery partition that OS X Mavericks created and then perform the reinstallation.

My preferred method is by booting to the Startup Manager(hold down Option key on startup) then select "Recovery 10.9.x"

- Another method is holding down Command + R on startup.

- After that, open up disk utility, select the main partition(usually Macintosh HD) click on the Erase tab followed by the erase button - format: Mac OS Extended(Journaled)
- Once the main partition is erased, run the installation which this time will install OS X Mavericks instead of OS X Mountain Lion or whatever version of OS X that was shipped out with your mac computer.

You can also get the steps from - OS X: How to erase and install
 

stay8899

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2009
Messages
738
Reaction score
0
anyone using macmini and connect to HDTV via HDMI? Hows the audio and video quality for playing back movies using say, VLC

Picture quality is good, cant say much for audio over hdmi as i connect my mini directly to my amp. If you are going down this route, suggest you use Plex or xbmi instead - nice UI for navigation and playback control via remote or your smartphone.
 

stay8899

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2009
Messages
738
Reaction score
0
How much is it to replace a cracked screen for my MBA 13inch 2012 (A1466)?

You can bring it down to any Apple authorised center to get a quotation. My guess is probably about 50% (or more) of a new MBA. Alternatively, buy the replacement part off ebay and DIY.
 

donetus

Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2012
Messages
374
Reaction score
26
my recovery only shows 10.8.x. By rights, when I upgraded to Mavericks and if i want to reinstall the OS, it should show Recovery 10.9.x right? It's not giving me that option. It went back to 10.8.x.

Installation of Mountain Lion took forever. I started 12AM and by 6AM, it was still installing the OS. Clearly something's wrong. It is possible for the Recovery to get corrupted or the files downloaded via internet got corrupted?

The reason it installed OS X Mountain Lion is because "internet recovery" only download the OS X version that was shipped with your mac computer.

What you can do to overcome this is by not booting into "Internet Recovery"(Command + Option + R) when doing a reinstallation.

Instead, boot to the "local" recovery system which is the recovery partition that OS X Mavericks created and then perform the reinstallation.

My preferred method is by booting to the Startup Manager(hold down Option key on startup) then select "Recovery 10.9.x"

- Another method is holding down Command + R on startup.

- After that, open up disk utility, select the main partition(usually Macintosh HD) click on the Erase tab followed by the erase button - format: Mac OS Extended(Journaled)
- Once the main partition is erased, run the installation which this time will install OS X Mavericks instead of OS X Mountain Lion or whatever version of OS X that was shipped out with your mac computer.

You can also get the steps from - OS X: How to erase and install
 
Last edited:

asriznet

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
my recovery only shows 10.8.x. By rights, when I upgraded to Mavericks and if i want to reinstall the OS, it should show Recovery 10.9.x right? It's not giving me that option. It went back to 10.8.x.

Installation of Mountain Lion took forever. I started 12AM and by 6AM, it was still installing the OS. Clearly something's wrong. It is possible for the Recovery to get corrupted or the files downloaded via internet got corrupted?

OS X installation may take hours depending on your internet connection(internet recovery or local recovery partition). Reason: every time you do an installation, it will download the OS from apple server which is about 5gb in size.

For your case, I would recommend repartitioning your hard drive since the local recovery system didn't get upgraded to OS X Mavericks.

You need a thumbdrive at least 8GB size.

1 - create an OS X Mavericks bootable installer drive - How to make a bootable Mavericks install drive | Macworld
2 - boot up to that recovery system by going to startup manager(hold down option on startup)
3 - go to disk utility
4 - select the main HDD, NOT Macintosh HD but one above it.(e.g 500.11GBST.....)
5 - select the partition tab
6 - click the drop down menu and change from "current" to "1 partition"
7 - rename the partition to "Macintosh HD"
8 - format is "MAC OS Extended(Journaled)
9 - click on options and make sure GUID partition table is selected
10 - click ok and partition, this will repartition your HDD and remove the existing OS X 10.8.x recovery partition that currently resides in it.

After doing so, just run the OS X Mavericks installation again and it should create the OS X 10.9.x recovery partition for you.
 

donetus

Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2012
Messages
374
Reaction score
26
thanks. i'll try this later :)

OS X installation may take hours depending on your internet connection(internet recovery or local recovery partition). Reason: every time you do an installation, it will download the OS from apple server which is about 5gb in size.

For your case, I would recommend repartitioning your hard drive since the local recovery system didn't get upgraded to OS X Mavericks.

You need a thumbdrive at least 8GB size.

1 - create an OS X Mavericks bootable installer drive - How to make a bootable Mavericks install drive | Macworld
2 - boot up to that recovery system by going to startup manager(hold down option on startup)
3 - go to disk utility
4 - select the main HDD, NOT Macintosh HD but one above it.(e.g 500.11GBST.....)
5 - select the partition tab
6 - click the drop down menu and change from "current" to "1 partition"
7 - rename the partition to "Macintosh HD"
8 - format is "MAC OS Extended(Journaled)
9 - click on options and make sure GUID partition table is selected
10 - click ok and partition, this will repartition your HDD and remove the existing OS X 10.8.x recovery partition that currently resides in it.

After doing so, just run the OS X Mavericks installation again and it should create the OS X 10.9.x recovery partition for you.
 

bunnypangsai

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 13, 2012
Messages
9,939
Reaction score
39
You can bring it down to any Apple authorised center to get a quotation. My guess is probably about 50% (or more) of a new MBA. Alternatively, buy the replacement part off ebay and DIY.

They quoted me 917 😾 so I rather DIY instead. My 3M adhesives arrived last night, so I will replace the screen either tonight or tmr night. I'll update once I'm done. 😙
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top