[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

asriznet

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
Hi my 2011 MacBook Pro died on me so I decided to buy one new one but which one is more suitable for me?mainly I used it to watch movies online and download movies.
So which retina MacBook Pro 13 inch high end or MacBook Pro 15 inch low end is suitable for me?

Just movie download? the specs don't matter IMO. I would go with 15-inch: 2.0GHz
with Retina display just because of a bigger display. :)


Haha Okay, Maybe this satursday I going Plaza Sing Service centre. Will they change for me ? Mine still under warranty.

Yeah, they will. i hope there are no signs of accidental damage on your Mac as they will reject service if found any even if you have AppleCare Protection Plan.
 

asriznet

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
Is iMac good?since mobility is not a concern I am planning to use it just on my bed only

on your bed? I'm assuming you don't literally meant on the bed mattress? hehe

If you already have a display or big screen TV ready, you can choose to get a Mac Mini instead.

But if u have that extra cash, get an iMac - it's worth it.
 

runningman123

Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2013
Messages
193
Reaction score
0
on your bed? I'm assuming you don't literally meant on the bed mattress? hehe

If you already have a display or big screen TV ready, you can choose to get a Mac Mini instead.

But if u have that extra cash, get an iMac - it's worth it.

Ya I mean on bed mattress,is it possible?
 

Kooosh

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
706
Reaction score
0
Place the imac on your mattress? Am I the only one who thinks you're attempting an impossible? Lol.

Like what asriznet said, if you have a huge screen to use as the monitor then get the mac mini. Then use wireless keyboard and mouse.

Otherwise get the imac and use it on a damn table lol you can't balance it on the bed. Of course if you don't mind it being "far" from you, you can still place it on a desk in front of your bed and use it wireless with the wireless keyboard and mouse.

Your questions a bit tough to answer uh..
 

Kooosh

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
706
Reaction score
0
And is refurbished Mac on apple store good?or new one is better

Personally I never trusted any refurbished goods. But they come with warranty so if you're on a tight budget I wouldn't worry much either. Like the saying goes, beggars can't be choosers. Got enough money then get the brand new one. Nothing feels better than to know it's fresh out the factory. So to speak..
 

Kooosh

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
706
Reaction score
0
You went from considering imac to mbp 13".........

Good enough for who? Definitely good enough for me. I'm using it for work and sch. No issue watching videos.

You're actually asking people if it is good enough for you? Who would know sia? Lol if someone knows you gotta be careful..

But yeah surf net and movies it's "good enough", subjectively.
 

asriznet

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
Ya I mean on bed mattress,is it possible?

ooooh man, have you seen an imac before? its not like a portable computer, it's a desktop. and since it's an all in one desktop(with display) i'm not sure how you gonna use it on your bed mattress.

Unless at the end of your bed, there's a flat solid surface for you to place the imac on.

And is refurbished Mac on apple store good?or new one is better

If the savings is very significant, go for refurbished. as mentioned it comes with 1 year limited warranty and you can get the 3 years AppleCare Protection Plan if you want to. Actually if you are getting a refurbished mac, I would strongly recommend to get the APP for it.
 

asriznet

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
You went from considering imac to mbp 13".........

Good enough for who? Definitely good enough for me. I'm using it for work and sch. No issue watching videos.

You're actually asking people if it is good enough for you? Who would know sia? Lol if someone knows you gotta be careful..

But yeah surf net and movies it's "good enough", subjectively.

hahaha if you read on the earlier post, he had thoughts of getting the MBP retina then switch to imac then back to MBP retina.

Okay so I get MacBook Pro 13 inch retina is good enough right?for watching movies and surfing internet

I think you should drop by one of those Apple Retailers like nubox, epicenter, challenger or istudio and test the products. based on your usage, even the lowest specs macbook air is good enough but for design/weight/environment preference, you gotta test them out physically to find out.
 

Kooosh

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
706
Reaction score
0
hahaha if you read on the earlier post, he had thoughts of getting the MBP retina then switch to imac then back to MBP retina.

It still doesn't make sense having the considerations on almost both ends of the spectrum. One is like a Merc and the other a Lexus perhaps? Hahah

Maybe it's just me. Sometimes things and people don't need to make sense.
 

VodkaPear

Master Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2012
Messages
2,708
Reaction score
125
Hi guys,

jus sold my iMac mid 2011 n upgraded to mbp pro retina 13".

I aso bought moshi keyboard cover which is 0.1mm and dust cover to cover the ports.
Reason being is, cuz i hate my devices to be dirty n full of dust.

but is it recommend?
like with keyboard cover and dust cover, the heat is harder to come out therefore make the mbp hotter.
or the keyboard cover scratch the screen.

but can i understand how the heat is dissipate in mbp retina?

aso, do you guys buy screen protector for the screen?

thanks a lot.
 

Geforce3

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2000
Messages
66,438
Reaction score
2
Hmm I hope u research it properly before you plonk money for it.

No don't need a sp etc go stock
 

Kooosh

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
706
Reaction score
0
Hi guys,

jus sold my iMac mid 2011 n upgraded to mbp pro retina 13".

I aso bought moshi keyboard cover which is 0.1mm and dust cover to cover the ports.
Reason being is, cuz i hate my devices to be dirty n full of dust.

but is it recommend?
like with keyboard cover and dust cover, the heat is harder to come out therefore make the mbp hotter.
or the keyboard cover scratch the screen.

but can i understand how the heat is dissipate in mbp retina?

aso, do you guys buy screen protector for the screen?

thanks a lot.

I got my moshi keyboard dust cover and speck case for free when I bought from nubox :p

No heat problems for regular usage. If it's heavy usage then it'll get hot regardless of what cover you use. Lol. When mbpr heats up, it's really hot. The exhaust is only in the edge of the hinge as far as I've observed.

Only annoying thing is the keyboard cover actually very-slightly muffles the audio.

And no don't do that to the beautiful retina, no sp pls haha
 

SkimMilk

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,594
Reaction score
2
Personally I never trusted any refurbished goods. But they come with warranty so if you're on a tight budget I wouldn't worry much either. Like the saying goes, beggars can't be choosers. Got enough money then get the brand new one. Nothing feels better than to know it's fresh out the factory. So to speak..

I actually won a refurb iPad 3 some time ago in a lucky draw.
The iPad is still going strong, and physically, it's exactly the same as the other 2 iPad 3 that I have. No defects etc. The only difference is the box that it came with (states refurb'ed on it). :D

Apple refurb products can be trusted, since they back it up with their 1 year warranty. I personally won't have any issues with them.
But do get direct from Apple and not some 3rd parties! ;)
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top