[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

asriznet

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
:s11:
guys who using 2011 iMac or 2012 ?

I noticed ....everytime will see the famous colour spinning wheel...

is it due to aging that why?

actually I use before this app call Oyx ..I feel like no much different...still can once a while see spinning wheel...

Do you have a specific app that will trigger the spinning beachball?
What does activity monitor says during the spinning beachball?
I got a feeling its a running process that's causing it, if it happens persistently, try booting in safe mode to see if it happens there as well.

If you really want to isolate your hardware/software, install a clean copy of OS X on a portable HDD and boot from there to see if it does the same. if it's okay on a clean OS, you might need to do some cleanup or you have a failing HDD.
 
Joined
Nov 3, 2011
Messages
150,482
Reaction score
11
:s11:
actually the built in app what disk unity

I saw got one function call

repair disk permissions side button is repair disk

got help what's that?
 

asriznet

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
:s11:
actually the built in app what disk unity

I saw got one function call

repair disk permissions side button is repair disk

got help what's that?

Repair disk fixes your hard drive file structure while permission repair is fixing files with wrong permission.

It may help to a certain extend - I do it once every few months as a form of maintenance.

I also used CCleaner to clear of unnecessary cache files from the system to make up space.
 
Joined
Nov 3, 2011
Messages
150,482
Reaction score
11
Repair disk fixes your hard drive file structure while permission repair is fixing files with wrong permission.

It may help to a certain extend - I do it once every few months as a form of maintenance.

I also used CCleaner to clear of unnecessary cache files from the system to make up space.

hmm I just tried..

I only see can click permission repair ?

but repair disk that button cannot click?
 

asriznet

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
hmm I just tried..

I only see can click permission repair ?

but repair disk that button cannot click?

While booted in OS X, you can only click verify disk, if it detects errors, the repair disk option will be available.

You can also boot to OS X Recovery and repair disk from there(no need to verify disk).
 
Joined
Nov 3, 2011
Messages
150,482
Reaction score
11
K thanks tried
And repair disk cannot be click
Well I feel perhaps DNS stuff and program I open lag the system.

Well I don't mind actually as long my imac still work
By the way I ask before many ppl also encounter power button intermittence sometime must press a few time than on
Sometimes just only once but rarely for my case
At most 2 , 3 press than can on
 

flashmove

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2012
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Hey guys, i got a booting problem with my Macbook. It always stuck at white/grey screen with flashing question mark folder.

I did research online for the problem, it required recover DVD to fix it. But too bad i have lost my DVD. (i bought my mac many years back).

So now what can i do to fix the problem?

Please helps!:s22:
 

asriznet

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
Hey guys, i got a booting problem with my Macbook. It always stuck at white/grey screen with flashing question mark folder.

I did research online for the problem, it required recover DVD to fix it. But too bad i have lost my DVD. (i bought my mac many years back).

So now what can i do to fix the problem?

Please helps!:s22:

Flashing question mark usually leads to hardware repair.

Do you still have warranty? if yes, bring it in to an AASP to have them fix for you.
I've recently fixed a similar problem for a client, the hard drive cable needs replacement which cost about $55.

If you want to DIY, have a look at iFixit.com

1. Remove the harddrive from the macbook
2. connect it using a SATA to USB adaptor and plug it into your macbook using USB
3. hold down option on startup and see if it detects the HDD there
4. if yes, select the drive and see if it will start up using USB

If the above steps work, you might need to replace the hard drive cable.
 

flashmove

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2012
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Flashing question mark usually leads to hardware repair.

Do you still have warranty? if yes, bring it in to an AASP to have them fix for you.
I've recently fixed a similar problem for a client, the hard drive cable needs replacement which cost about $55.

If you want to DIY, have a look at iFixit.com

1. Remove the harddrive from the macbook
2. connect it using a SATA to USB adaptor and plug it into your macbook using USB
3. hold down option on startup and see if it detects the HDD there
4. if yes, select the drive and see if it will start up using USB

If the above steps work, you might need to replace the hard drive cable.

Thanks for reply.

No more warranty. The DIY seem very difficult for me. i think i prefer to bring it to repair. Any shop can recommend?
 

asriznet

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
Thanks for reply.

No more warranty. The DIY seem very difficult for me. i think i prefer to bring it to repair. Any shop can recommend?

You can try Infinique Services SLS #04-04

I dont have experience with mac repair shops other than this one, bought a macbook pro part from them and I feel it's trustworthy as the price is not too far off from online pricing.

Other shops dont want to sell parts, they just want to do the work themselves and charge for labor fee, 1 even charge $20 more than what Infinique Service just to sell the part.

I can do it for you if you want, PM me and I can drop by with my tools and help you out.
 

JinYuan

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2006
Messages
1,094
Reaction score
0
how do i ensure that after deleting some application, all the pref files etc are also deleted as well?
 

eedwinn

Master Member
Joined
May 24, 2008
Messages
3,145
Reaction score
4
New to Mac!

Just wondering, what the difference between downloading app from the app store and software from the websites?
 

SkimMilk

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,594
Reaction score
2
New to Mac!

Just wondering, what the difference between downloading app from the app store and software from the websites?

App Store: software tied to your AppleID. Software subject to AppStore rules (more on this later). No registration required after you purchase.

SW from Web: Separate download and install. Most probably require a serial number to activate the software. Most probably will get prompts from OSX that SW might not be safe etc.

Most of the time there shouldn't be much difference. I only noticed the difference during the recent Yosemite upgrade.

So here's what happened:
I've got Voila software on both my wife's and my rMBP. On hers, its the web version, while on mine, it's the AppStore version. Both are running version 3.8

After Yosemite upgrade, Voila stopped working on my rMBP while it continued working on my wife's.

Ultimately, after about 4 weeks, Voila on AppStore got updated to v3.8.1 and I'm a happy user again.
Note: my wife is still running v3.8 of the web version. It's not updated, no updates available, but still working.

So, from this, I got to know that there are differences between the 2 software sources.
 

asriznet

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
App Store: software tied to your AppleID. Software subject to AppStore rules (more on this later). No registration required after you purchase.

SW from Web: Separate download and install. Most probably require a serial number to activate the software. Most probably will get prompts from OSX that SW might not be safe etc.

Most of the time there shouldn't be much difference. I only noticed the difference during the recent Yosemite upgrade.

So here's what happened:
I've got Voila software on both my wife's and my rMBP. On hers, its the web version, while on mine, it's the AppStore version. Both are running version 3.8

After Yosemite upgrade, Voila stopped working on my rMBP while it continued working on my wife's.

Ultimately, after about 4 weeks, Voila on AppStore got updated to v3.8.1 and I'm a happy user again.
Note: my wife is still running v3.8 of the web version. It's not updated, no updates available, but still working.

So, from this, I got to know that there are differences between the 2 software sources.

difference on developer end is that the app store version needs to be filtered by Apple first so I think when voila developer submit the software update to the app store, it took a bit of time before it gets updated at the mac app store.

While the web version, any developer can just upload it on their website for user to download.
 

i-Movies

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2009
Messages
1,614
Reaction score
43
web version and appstore version could have different features as Apple disallow certain usages, developers will need to remove them in order to sell on appstore.
 

SkimMilk

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,594
Reaction score
2
difference on developer end is that the app store version needs to be filtered by Apple first so I think when voila developer submit the software update to the app store, it took a bit of time before it gets updated at the mac app store.

While the web version, any developer can just upload it on their website for user to download.

lol... I'm not saying the time it needs to get the software up for anyone to download. If you read til the end, you will find that the web version did not need to be updated at all to keep functioning in Yosemite.

I'm saying there are differences in the software coding.
Like i-Movies pointed out, AppStore has got their own ruleset. So developers will have to comply to those rules before the apps are published in the AppStore.
 

asriznet

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
lol... I'm not saying the time it needs to get the software up for anyone to download. If you read til the end, you will find that the web version did not need to be updated at all to keep functioning in Yosemite.

I'm saying there are differences in the software coding.
Like i-Movies pointed out, AppStore has got their own ruleset. So developers will have to comply to those rules before the apps are published in the AppStore.

Sorry, my post was answer to the question by the one who asked. sorry if i use the "quote" function improperly.
 

aamaterasu

Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
409
Reaction score
41
Hi guys

sorry for the noob questions but is there any easy way you guys can switch between tabs of the same application (e.g. many word docs opened). I have been using command ` but i found it extremely unmanageable if I have many documents opened.

In windows we can press alt tab and hold it there while we click the doc we want to open. But for mac I have to keep pressing cmd ` until it reaches the doc I want.

Is there any easy way to do this? Thanks!
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,482
Reaction score
3,168
Hi guys

sorry for the noob questions but is there any easy way you guys can switch between tabs of the same application (e.g. many word docs opened). I have been using command ` but i found it extremely unmanageable if I have many documents opened.

In windows we can press alt tab and hold it there while we click the doc we want to open. But for mac I have to keep pressing cmd ` until it reaches the doc I want.

Is there any easy way to do this? Thanks!

mission control. four finger swipe down. or u can config hot corners to activate it
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top