Men Office Wear Thread (2nd Thread)

Paladium

Senior Member
Joined
May 3, 2008
Messages
2,293
Reaction score
9
Has anyone tailor their suit with Dickson Tailors at Bras Basah recently? How's the quality and the fit, and the material? Is it cotton or poly-mixed?

Seems like one of the more affordable tailored suits around?
 
Last edited:

holidayforever

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2012
Messages
19,413
Reaction score
511
Just to share that ButtonNStitch is having 60% warehouse sale from today 19th to 23rd June, 12pm to 8pm at Midview City.

DSC_0668_zps77424f75.jpg

Thanks for sharing, so have you been to the sale?
 

3xistence

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2006
Messages
6,581
Reaction score
10
To guys that have actually used Marcella's services, what do you think about their overall offering in terms of fit and quality?

made 3 shirts few months back. 1st fitting i went, shoulder,sleeve was slightly too long. the next time i went back, shoulder was adjusted for the next 2 shirt but not the sleeve. it was not a major problem so i didnt highlight to them.

there are 2 Filipino guys when i went to tamp one. one of them was friend while another was not. earlier this week the friendly one is now at jem.
 

carlover76

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
7,492
Reaction score
50
I just check out N Tyler in Robinson at JEM but they do not have the double collar or collar with buttons.
 

carlover76

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
7,492
Reaction score
50
Just check out the variety of shirts at ButtonNStitch clearance sale at Midview City, cutting slightly bigger than the G2000 cutting so I get a smaller size shirt and the designs are not what I want so just bought one shirt which is the new arrival :

https://buttonnstitch.com/content/page/DressShirts_ProductDetails/pid/64/

It has 15% discount off the price stated there, I will try out and see how is the quality while checking out other brands like TM Levin, N Tyler or Goldlion, Renoma etc.

I have to wear tie in office so was looking for those shirts with Collar Buttons but was told by the staff from ButtonNStitch that those shirts with collar button are meant for casual wear, is that true?
 

-nzy90

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2007
Messages
6,606
Reaction score
4
Just check out the variety of shirts at ButtonNStitch clearance sale at Midview City, cutting slightly bigger than the G2000 cutting so I get a smaller size shirt and the designs are not what I want so just bought one shirt which is the new arrival :

https://buttonnstitch.com/content/page/DressShirts_ProductDetails/pid/64/

It has 15% discount off the price stated there, I will try out and see how is the quality while checking out other brands like TM Levin, N Tyler or Goldlion, Renoma etc.

I have to wear tie in office so was looking for those shirts with Collar Buttons but was told by the staff from ButtonNStitch that those shirts with collar button are meant for casual wear, is that true?

You mean button down collar? I think its true. Usually those button down collars are softer so should be more casual. Anyway if you are wearing a tie then you won't need button down collars already right? Since the tie will help u hold the collar in place.
 

boysdontcryy

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2013
Messages
841
Reaction score
0
In addition, there's a functional benefit for pleats too. There are many, but off the top of my head, one merit of having pleats is that it gives you more space when you sit down. Far more comfortable than trousers that don't have pleats.

Do people shun pleats for specific reasons?
 

carlover76

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
7,492
Reaction score
50
You mean button down collar? I think its true. Usually those button down collars are softer so should be more casual. Anyway if you are wearing a tie then you won't need button down collars already right? Since the tie will help u hold the collar in place.

I see. Thanks for your info. I am just worried that the corners of both collar will be out of shape like bending upwards so prefer the button down collar to hold it to place.

I do remember those shirt with the suit normally comes with the button down collar as well so quite confused on the actual usage of button down collar shirts.

I will visit TM Lewin tomorrow to check out their variety of shirts as I am still looking for designs with double collar or additional stripes on the shirt cos quite sick of the plain colour shirts.
 

boysdontcryy

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2013
Messages
841
Reaction score
0
Do people still use cufflinks? Or are they considered archaic? Here's my collection. Only started collecting them since some time late last year.

In clock wise direction, beginning from the custom gold acorn cufflinks with blue Lapis Lazuli. Vintage chain cufflinks with family named engraved on it (from England), Bvlgari cufflinks in sterling with Onyx, Vintage Malachite cufflinks from Beijing, Burgundy silk knots from Brooks Brothers (Bought when I was based in the US), Sterling silver knots, and finally, an English enamel cufflinks.

I'm set for the time being, but if I were to add one more to my collection, it'd probably be something with jade.

 
Last edited:

carlover76

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
7,492
Reaction score
50
Do people still use cufflinks? Or are they considered archaic? Here's my collection. Only started collecting them since some time late last year.


I guess they still wear those formal shirts with cufflinks, I do see a lot of the property agents etc wearing those shirts with cufflinks.

Do you wear the shirts with cufflinks most of the time?
 

boysdontcryy

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2013
Messages
841
Reaction score
0
I don't wear shirts with cufflinks all the time. I wear them once in a while when I feel like jazzing up the outfit.

I think that one should invest in at least one set of good cufflinks. You know, a man (in Singapore) only has limited means of expressing one's taste and individuality ...
 

carlover76

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
7,492
Reaction score
50
I don't wear shirts with cufflinks all the time. I wear them once in a while when I feel like jazzing up the outfit.

I think that one should invest in at least one set of good cufflinks. You know, a man (in Singapore) only has limited means of expressing one's taste and individuality ...

Agree with you on investing a set of cufflink. I have one or two shirts which requires the cufflink, do you have any recommendation on getting cufflink?

I know that TM Lewin also have ties and cufflinks, you bought shirts from TM Lewin before? Any comments?
 

boysdontcryy

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2013
Messages
841
Reaction score
0
I have only one shirt from TM Lewin, which was a gift from my girlfriend. The shirts tend to be pricier in S'pore (TM Lewin shirts are sold for steep discounts in London).

Given the price (and my size), I prefer having my shirts bespoken for. Fits better too, methinks.

See here -- http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/fashion-grooming-235/what-you-wearing-today-4266281.html

I think TM Lewin's ties are not too bad, and I'd wear a couple of striped ones.

As for cufflinks, you could always try silk knots for starters. They tend to be relatively inexpensive, and you can match them with your shoes, or other coloured accessories (I prefer the colours on my outfit to be harmonious).

Derail:

Here's the close-up of my custom cufflinks (Proudly made in Singapore)



Agree with you on investing a set of cufflink. I have one or two shirts which requires the cufflink, do you have any recommendation on getting cufflink?

I know that TM Lewin also have ties and cufflinks, you bought shirts from TM Lewin before? Any comments?
 
Last edited:

carlover76

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
7,492
Reaction score
50
I have only one shirt from TM Lewin, which was a gift from my girlfriend. The shirts tend to be pricier in S'pore (TM Lewin shirts are sold for steep discounts in London).

Given the price (and my size), I prefer having my shirts bespoken for. Fits better too, methinks.

See here -- What Are You Wearing Today - www.hardwarezone.com.sg

I think TM Lewin's ties are not too bad, and I'd wear a couple of striped ones.

As for cufflinks, you could always try silk knots for starters. They tend to be relatively inexpensive, and you can match them with your shoes, or other coloured accessories (I prefer the colours on my outfit to be harmonious).

Derail:

Here's the close-up of my custom cufflinks (Proudly made in Singapore)


So how much is this pair of cufflink and where you bought it?

Hear the quality of the shirts from TM Lewin are quite good so I will be checking out tomorrow to see any shirts I like before buying.
 

carlover76

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
7,492
Reaction score
50
Just curious whether anyone bought shirts from Hugo Boss? How is the price range and quality of their shirts?
 

theRenaissance

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2007
Messages
1,752
Reaction score
0
made 3 shirts few months back. 1st fitting i went, shoulder,sleeve was slightly too long. the next time i went back, shoulder was adjusted for the next 2 shirt but not the sleeve. it was not a major problem so i didnt highlight to them.

there are 2 Filipino guys when i went to tamp one. one of them was friend while another was not. earlier this week the friendly one is now at jem.

My previous experience with the factory that produces for Marcella were less than ideal, especially with regards to stitching. But given the price point, I think they are a good start for entry-level MTM shirts.


You mean button down collar? I think its true. Usually those button down collars are softer so should be more casual. Anyway if you are wearing a tie then you won't need button down collars already right? Since the tie will help u hold the collar in place.

Yes, theoretically button downs are deemed as the casual alternatives to their non-BD cousins. But I believe most office culture/environment are more flexible nowadays, so a nice OCBD (Oxford Cloth Button Down), appropriately cut with a nice collar roll will be an ideal companion for Thursday/Fridays. I have four in various colors, from bumping around town to a weekend's getaway, its pretty much a mainstay in my wardrobe =:p
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top