Mid range Android Mobile Phone and Chipset

8-lane

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
35,310
Reaction score
7,846
I totally agree. In my family, my wife will only use iPhone (6S+ 128GB, 7+ 256GB, X 256GB and now iPhone 14 512GB). Other than the 6SP+, the 7+ and X are still alive. I used iPhone 6S 128GB (after Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE+) as my main phone for three years (switched to Huawei P20) and it is still alive but not used. So I can say the quality and software update are top-notch. We also use iPad 2018/2019 and Mac Mini M1 at home. Apple ecosystem is for sure good.

That being said, I figured out that I could save money and still enjoyed the mobile phone after switching from iPhone 6S to Huawei P20. After three years of using P20, I further downgraded my budget for Android phones to below S$500 as they are still good enough. I am using the S$399 Realme X50 5G now. To me there is no point buying high end Android phones as I am not that particular about camera and not into gaming.

Similarly I have downgraded the phone spec/budget for my parents-in-law --> one from Oppo R11S to Realme 7 5G; the othe from Huawei Nova 5T to Poco M4 Pro 5G.
Ya... as time goes by... phone tech will improve and phones will get cheaper so a phone that costs u $200 now will be just as capable as a phone that costs u $150 in maybe 3 or 4 yrs time?
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,312
Reaction score
12,298
I have mentioned my usual option, but I made some exception for my latets purchase on 10.10 .

There was an offer from Poco Shopee official shop for the Poco M4 Pro 5G version (MTK Dimensity 810), 6GB+128GB at S$259 (S$349 - S$79 Poco voucher - S$20 Shopee voucher). The user interface seems to be quite okay and my father-in-law likes it so far. His previous Huawei Nova 5T was a good phone but the speaker suddenly got no sound.

1) No Samsung

Looks like I have to include Xiaomi,Redmi and Poco. With Realme out of the picture, it is hard to beat Poco in terms of price performance ratio.

2) 8GB RAM, 128GB Flash storage or 256GB storage

For my own use I will stick to the above. For my parents-in-law, 6GB/128GB is acceptable.

3) 5G ready chipset (Snapdragon 6/7 series or MediaTek Dimensity series), no MTK Helio, no SD680

4) S$300 to S$500
5) Dual SIM (usually a given for Android)
6) NFC is nice to have
7) Local set with warranty

I need to pass my Realme X50 5G to a family member, so I just got the Poco X4 GT 8GB/256GB at S$385 (12/12 promotion).
 

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2000
Messages
19,447
Reaction score
6,797
IMHO.
My daily phone, I only bought 2, Samsung Note 2 and Samsung Note 10. 🤣
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,312
Reaction score
12,298
I need to pass my Realme X50 5G to a family member, so I just got the Poco X4 GT 8GB/256GB at S$385 (12/12 promotion).

Initially I got a problem that Ookla Speedtest does not work. Other than that it is pretty good at this price.

After the latest FW update, Ookla Speedtest is working.

At 1m close range to my Asus RT-AX86U router.

8998674380.png


It is also working for Singtel 5G connection (most likely NSA as I still use the older 4G SIM card).

8998703700.png
 

elvintay07

Suspended
Joined
Jan 4, 2022
Messages
12,367
Reaction score
4,441
My mum is using mi max 3. So sad they not releasing giant phone anymore. Just wondering whether there are any recommendations for a replacement? I presume now we need min 6/128gb? Will poco be good?
 

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2001
Messages
17,586
Reaction score
1,689
My mum is using mi max 3. So sad they not releasing giant phone anymore. Just wondering whether there are any recommendations for a replacement? I presume now we need min 6/128gb? Will poco be good?
You specifically need a 6.9 inch display ?
Any other requirements ? Budget ?

S22 Ultra :D
 
Last edited:

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,312
Reaction score
12,298
Thanks. What about Poco F4? Sometimes it cost $300

Poco F4 will be much better than Redmi 10C. I would not consider SD680 in Redmi 10C as mid-end chipset in 2023 but rather low-end. SD870 in Poco F4 is still a good mid-end chipset in 2023. It was a mid-high end chipset last year.

I got my Poco X4 GT 8GB/256GB at S$385 last December from official Poco Lazada shop with 12.12 offer. It is pretty okay with the MediaTek Dimensity 8100 chipset and 8GB/256GB is a nice combination for mid-end phones.

I see that listed price of Poco F4 6GB/128GB at S$309 but the 8GB/256GB is sold-out. Personally I will prefer 8GB/256GB version in 2023.
 

elvintay07

Suspended
Joined
Jan 4, 2022
Messages
12,367
Reaction score
4,441
Poco F4 will be much better than Redmi 10C. I would not consider SD680 in Redmi 10C as mid-end chipset in 2023 but rather low-end. SD870 in Poco F4 is still a good mid-end chipset in 2023. It was a mid-high end chipset last year.

I got my Poco X4 GT 8GB/256GB at S$385 last December from official Poco Lazada shop with 12.12 offer. It is pretty okay with the MediaTek Dimensity 8100 chipset and 8GB/256GB is a nice combination for mid-end phones.

I see that listed price of Poco F4 6GB/128GB at S$309 but the 8GB/256GB is sold-out. Personally I will prefer 8GB/256GB version in 2023.
Thanks Xiaofan. Is there another value for money option? Like Oppo, Samsung, Xiaomi etc? Poco x5 5g looks interesting also
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,312
Reaction score
12,298
Thanks Xiaofan. Is there another value for money option? Like Oppo, Samsung, Xiaomi etc? Poco x5 5g looks interesting also

I have done my research last year and I can see Poco is of the best valude in terms of specification even though I was trying to avoid Xiaomi stuff (previous bad experience with Xiaomi Mi Max 1 which was dead after 1 year plus with swollen battery and I threw it away).

Personally I would not go with Samsung either since the local models are of higher cost compared to other brand. The higher price performance models are not offered here. Personally I also had bad experiences with Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE and Galaxy S4 LTE+ last time so I tend to avoid Samsung stuff (and long ago bad experiences with two Samsung washing machines).

Realme used to be my choice but they have kind of withdrawn from Singapore market with very little offerings now.

But if you have higher budget, I would think Oppo phones are of better HW quality than Xiaomi/Redmi/Poco.

I bought a Redmi Watch 2 Lite from Xiaomi Lazada at S$75 on 1 Jan 2023 and the battery is already dead now. I switched back to Huawei Band 7 (I was using Huawei Band 4 previously which lasts for about three years).

Luckily the two Poco phones at home are both fine now -- Poco X4 GT 8GB/256GB (bought at S$385) and Poco M4 Pro 5G 6GB/128GB (bought at S$259).
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top