Mid range Android Mobile Phone and Chipset

elvintay07

Suspended
Joined
Jan 4, 2022
Messages
12,367
Reaction score
4,441
depends on your mum's usage requirements

if not heavy user, poco m5 is good enough, less than $200 during promo sales
If use Netflix, YouTube, some photo and surf internet, will m5 be laggy? The screen only 90hz compared to F4 120hz.
 

caterham7

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2004
Messages
6,124
Reaction score
1,899
If use Netflix, YouTube, some photo and surf internet, will m5 be laggy? The screen only 90hz compared to F4 120hz.
should be ok, suggest to watch reviews of poco m5 online

re: 90hz vs 120hz, one is $150 phone, the other is $300 phone, quite different in price range

also do note that phones don't run 120hz all the time
 

elvintay07

Suspended
Joined
Jan 4, 2022
Messages
12,367
Reaction score
4,441
should be ok, suggest to watch reviews of poco m5 online

re: 90hz vs 120hz, one is $150 phone, the other is $300 phone, quite different in price range

also do note that phones don't run 120hz all the time
Price super competitive
(1) M5 6/128gb = $189
(2) M4 5G 6/128gb = $229
(3) F4 6/128gb = $309
(4) X5 5G 6/128gb = $349

Lol! Looks like M5 is a bargain. I saw the review. Looks quite ok
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,374
Reaction score
12,314
Price super competitive
(1) M5 6/128gb = $189
(2) M4 5G 6/128gb = $229
(3) F4 6/128gb = $309
(4) X5 5G 6/128gb = $349

Lol! Looks like M5 is a bargain. I saw the review. Looks quite ok

Among the four, Poco F4 have the best specification and it is the best among the 4 as well.

The first two low end phones are very similar. The Helio G99 CPU used in Poco M5 is basically the Dimensity 700 CPU used in Poco M4 5G minus the 5G function. The Camera in the M4 5G is also a bit better. So it comes down whether you want to pay S$40 for the two differences.
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,374
Reaction score
12,314
Update in Sept 2023. Please refer to first page for more up-to-date version.

Common Qualcomm and Mediatek mobile phone chips sets, based on the above video

1) Qualcomm mid-range
Snapdragon 7 Gen 2

Snapdragon 7 Gen 1 (not as good)
Snapdragon 782G (overclock version of 778G, not so popular)
Snapdgran 778G (popular)
Snapdragon 780G (not popular)
Snapdragon 6 Gen 1

2) Qualocom mid-low range
Snapdragon 695 (towards low end now)
Snapdragon4 Gen 2 (lower performance than 4 Gen 1)
Snapdragon4 Gen 1 (lower clock version of 695)

3) Qualcomm low-end
Snapdragon 680 (4G)
Snapdragon 662 (4G)

4) Mediatek mid-range
Dimensity 8200
Dimensity 8100
Dimensity 1200 aka Diemnsity 8050

5) Mediatek mid-low range
Dimensity 1080 (higher clock version of Dimensity 920)
Dimensity 920
Dimensity 820

6) Mediatek Low-end
Dimensity 810 (aka Dimensity 6080)
Dimensity 800U
Dimensity 700 (aka Dimensity 6020)
Helio G99 (4G only, roughly Dimensity 700 minus 5G)
Helio G85 (4G only)
 
Last edited:

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,374
Reaction score
12,314
Best Mid-range phones in mid-2023 from Tech Spurt

Google Pixel 7a
OnePlus Nord 2T
OnePlus Nord CE 3 Lite 5G
Samsung Galaxy A54 5G
Nothing Phone 1
Nothing Phone 2
Motorola Edge 30 Neo
Nokia X30 5G
Honor 90
Poco F4 GT
Poco F5 & F5 Pro
Poco X5 Pro
Xiaomi Redmi Note 12 Pro Plus 5G
Xiaomi 12 Lite
Realme GT Master Edition
Realme 10 Pro Plus

 

progene

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2005
Messages
5,789
Reaction score
777
Common Qualcomm and Mediatek mobile phone chips sets, based on the above video

1) Qualcomm mid-range
Snapdragon 7 Gen 2

Snapdragon 7 Gen 1 (not as good)
Snapdragon 782G (overclock version of 778G, not so popular)
Snapdgran 778G (popular)
Snapdragon 780G (not popular)
Snapdragon 6 Gen 1

2) Qualocom mid-low range
Snapdragon 695 (towards low end now)
Snapdragon4 Gen 2 (lower performance than 4 Gen 1)
Snapdragon4 Gen 1 (lower clock version of 695)

3) Qualcomm low-end
Snapdragon 680 (4G)
Snapdragon 662 (4G)

4) Mediatek mid-range
Dimensity 8200
Dimensity 8100
Dimensity 1200 aka Diemnsity 8050

5) Mediatek mid-low range
Dimensity 1080 (higher clock version of Dimensity 920)
Dimensity 920
Dimensity 820

6) Mediatek Low-end
Dimensity 810 (aka Dimensity 6080)
Dimensity 800U
Dimensity 700 (aka Dimensity 6020)
Helio G99 (4G only, roughly Dimensity 700 minus 5G)
Helio G85 (4G only)
Can add it one more.
Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,374
Reaction score
12,314
Can add it one more.
Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1

Hmm, I consider this as high end. This thread only talks about mid-range chipsets.

SD888 (not so good in terms of thermal) and SD870 are kind of mid-end chipset now. But I think SD 8 Gen 1 (not so good in terms of thermal) and 8+ Gen 1 will still be considered as high end chipsets even though SD8 Gen 2 is the current flagship chipset.
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,374
Reaction score
12,314
Just checked Poco official global store in Lazada, there are a few promotions.

1) Poco F4 (SD870, 6GB+128GB) --> S$284. EVen though this is an old model but the performance should still be pretty good

2) Poco F4 GT (SD8 Gen1, 8GB+128GB) --> S$369

3) Poco X5 Pro 5G (SD778G, 8GB+256GB) -> S$369

4) Poco F5 (SD67+ Gen 2, 8GB+256GB) --> S$439 --> this should be a pretty good buy with very good mid-range specification.

Redmi Note 12 and 12 Pro are using the Dimensity 1080 CPU which is not good as my older Poco X4 GT with Dimensity 8100 CPU.

1) Redmi Note 12 5G (Dimensity 1080, 8GB+256GB) --> S$309

2) Redmi Note 12 Pro+ (Dimensity 1080, 8GB+256GB) --> S$459
 
Last edited:

Okenba

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2012
Messages
5,324
Reaction score
996
Wah. Ppl here all like very pro.
I'm looking for a new phone. My current one was a Redmi 9T, 2.5yrs ago, for about $200+.
I don't use my phone much. No high end games to play.
If BG3 someday comes to android, I'll get a better phone. =p

Ideally, phone should be hardy. I'm very careless person and have dropped my 9T several times in the past 2.5yrs. Screen got a long crack on it. =D

I also read about the POCO X4 GT. But I really don't have any high end games I want to play on Android...

Budget is below 300? Maybe I should find a thread on low-end phones.
Budget looks a bit low for mid-range... =p

Any suggestions from the experts?
 
Last edited:

DeepseaG1523

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2023
Messages
1,238
Reaction score
707
Wah. Ppl here all like very pro.
I'm looking for a new phone. My current one was a Redmi 9T, 2.5yrs ago, for about $200+.
I don't use my phone much. No high end games to play.
If BG3 someday comes to android, I'll get a better phone. =p

Ideally, phone should be hardy. I'm very careless person and have dropped my 9T several times in the past 2.5yrs. Screen got a long crack on it. =D

I also read about the POCO X4 GT. But I really don't have any high end games I want to play on Android...

Budget is below 300? Maybe I should find a thread on low-end phones.
Budget looks a bit low for mid-range... =p

Any suggestions from the experts?

OUKITEL FOSSiBOT F102 $309​

 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,374
Reaction score
12,314
Wah. Ppl here all like very pro.
I'm looking for a new phone. My current one was a Redmi 9T, 2.5yrs ago, for about $200+.
I don't use my phone much. No high end games to play.
If BG3 someday comes to android, I'll get a better phone. =p

Ideally, phone should be hardy. I'm very careless person and have dropped my 9T several times in the past 2.5yrs. Screen got a long crack on it. =D

I also read about the POCO X4 GT. But I really don't have any high end games I want to play on Android...

Budget is below 300? Maybe I should find a thread on low-end phones.
Budget looks a bit low for mid-range... =p

Any suggestions from the experts?

S$300 is now okay for lower tier of the mid-range 5G phones.

For example, Poco X5 5G 6+128GB (Snapdragon SD695) is at S$249 from Poco Lazada official global store. Get a strong case to protect. Also buy new screen protector if the stock one is not as good.

Poco F4 6GB+128GB (Snapdragon SD870) is even better at S$289 from the same store. It is actually still at the higher tier or at least mid-tier of the mid-range phone.
 
Last edited:

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
16,837
Reaction score
1,781
Wah. Ppl here all like very pro.
I'm looking for a new phone. My current one was a Redmi 9T, 2.5yrs ago, for about $200+.
I don't use my phone much. No high end games to play.
If BG3 someday comes to android, I'll get a better phone. =p

Ideally, phone should be hardy. I'm very careless person and have dropped my 9T several times in the past 2.5yrs. Screen got a long crack on it. =D

I also read about the POCO X4 GT. But I really don't have any high end games I want to play on Android...

Budget is below 300? Maybe I should find a thread on low-end phones.
Budget looks a bit low for mid-range... =p

Any suggestions from the experts?
use screen protector. if drop it will crack instead of your phone screen. also thicc armor case are like $5. cheaper than buying a screen replacement
 
Last edited:

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,374
Reaction score
12,314
GSMArena Best midrange all-rounders 2023 - buyer’s guide, updated 6 Nov 2023
https://www.gsmarena.com/best_midrange_allrounders_buyers_guide-review-2032.php

(skipping brands like Motorola which is not selling in Singapore)
Pricing in Singapore is lower than UK in general, especially with promotion.

Around 200 pounds
1) Xiaomi Redmi Note 12 (5G), Qualcomm SD4 Gen 1
2) Xiaomi Poco M5s (4G), MTK Helio G95
3) Samsung Galaxy A24 (4G), MTK Helio G99

Around 300 pounds (all 5G phones)
1) Xiaomi 12 Lite, Qualcomm SD778G
2) Xiaomi Redmi 12 Note Pro, MTK Dimensity 1080
3) Samsung Galaxy A34, MTK Dimensity 1080
4) Xiaomi Poco X5 Pro, Qualcomm SD778
5) Xiaomi Poco X4 GT, MTK Dimensity 8100


Around 400 pounds (all 5G phones)
1) Xiaomi Poco F5, Qualcomm SD7+ Gen 2
2) Xiaomi Redmi Note 12 Pro+, MTK Dimensity 1080
3) Sony Xperia 10V, Qualcomm SD695
4) Nothing Phone 1, Qualcomm SD 778G+
5) Samsung Galaxy A54, Samsung Exynos 1380
6) Honor 90, Qualcomm SD7 Gen 1 Accelerated Edition
7) Realme 11 Pro, MTK Dimensity 7050
8) Oppo Reno 10, MTK Dimensity 7050
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,374
Reaction score
12,314
New mid-range Android phones coming out from Poco and Redmi

Poco F5 Pro --> SD 8+ Gen 1
Poco F5 --> SD7+ Gen 2
Poco X6 Pro --> Dimensity 8300 Ultra

Poco X6 --> SD 7s Gen 2
Redmi Note 13 Pro+ --> Dimensity 7200 Ultra
Redmi Note 13 Pro --> SD 7s Gen 2
Redmi Note 13 5G -> Dimensity 6080
Redmi Note 13 4G --> SD685
 
Last edited:

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,374
Reaction score
12,314
Upcoming mid-range from Samsung/Oppo/Realme/Vivo/etc

1) Upcoming from Samsung (upgrade from the good A34/A54)
Galaxy A35
Galaxy A55


2) Upcoming from Oppo (international version, not China version), upgrade from Current Reno 10 and Reno 10 Pro.
Oppo Reno 11 --> Dimensity 7050
Oppo Reno 11 Pro --> Dimensity 8200

3) Upcoming from Realme (international version, not China version), upgrade from Realme 11 Pro and 11 Pro+.
Realme 12 Pro -->Snapdragon 6 Gen 1 processor
Realme 12 Pro+ -->Snapdragon 7s Gen 2 CPU inside

4) Upcoming from OnePlus (international version, not China version).


5) Upcoming from Vivo (international version, not China version), upgrade from Vivo V29 and V29 Pro.


6) Upcoming from Honor (international version, not China version)
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top