MyRepublic Mobile discussion thread

hereiam7788

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2015
Messages
5,261
Reaction score
1,005
The Circles CIS promo now is only valid for 3 months, not the inital 12 months.

Also, MyRepublic $38 promo is only valid if you have MR Fibre. Since he don't have fixed broadband at all, that promo is basically useless.

I can't guarantee this, but I do expect for the MR Unlimited Plan, the throttle is probably capped at 1.2Mbps, not 384kbps. Afterall, MR CSOs say that the throttled speeds range between 384kbps and 1.2Mbps, but the MR Lite is confirmed to be 384kbps. So the 1.2Mbps is likely to be the Unlimited Plan one.

At that price ($48/mth), actually you're better off using Circles 100GB + Unlimited ($38/mth), and use the $10/mth to sign up for TPG 50GB, maybe as redundancy or load balancing. More data overall too, just lesser talk and text bundles.



The MR Lite plan does not work when it is on managed speeds or full speed? If use VPN, will it help?

Video streaming on managed speeds... 360p seems to be quite bad leh. I mean it is still watchable but details not that sharp. Haha

I dun think VPN will help since the bandwidth is capped even VPN can go at faster speed since the size of the pipeline is already limited.

Yeah 360p seriously is not ‘watchable’, my minimum standard is 720p so I dun expect to do video streaming on 384kbps MR lite.

The $10 MR lite is only suitable for on the go and on mobile phone usage. Cannot really use to replace home WiFi. This one I acknowledged that given its price.

This is also a reason why I would rather TP comes with the same monthly like what they offer for trial. 2GB/day and 1Mbps speed unlimited data after that. The 1Mbps speed is reasonable for 720p Video streaming and even for
 

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2013
Messages
8,082
Reaction score
463
I dun think VPN will help since the bandwidth is capped even VPN can go at faster speed since the size of the pipeline is already limited.

Yeah 360p seriously is not ‘watchable’, my minimum standard is 720p so I dun expect to do video streaming on 384kbps MR lite.

The $10 MR lite is only suitable for on the go and on mobile phone usage. Cannot really use to replace home WiFi. This one I acknowledged that given its price.

This is also a reason why I would rather TP comes with the same monthly like what they offer for trial. 2GB/day and 1Mbps speed unlimited data after that. The 1Mbps speed is reasonable for 720p Video streaming and even for

I mean, if using VPN, does it bypass the Mega download issue that you're facing? Not saying about speed and latency, it'll be quite so as expected. :s13:

I think for your case then maybe the Circles unlimited alr. 1Mbps unlimited too I think beyond the 100GB, it's not as cheap but it should be more "usable".
 

hereiam7788

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2015
Messages
5,261
Reaction score
1,005
I mean, if using VPN, does it bypass the Mega download issue that you're facing? Not saying about speed and latency, it'll be quite so as expected. :s13:

I think for your case then maybe the Circles unlimited alr. 1Mbps unlimited too I think beyond the 100GB, it's not as cheap but it should be more "usable".

Oh oh. Paiseh.

Never try VPN. Do you use Mega app also? It is weird that it only has issue on MR.
 

24thchromosome

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Messages
837
Reaction score
38
Guys,

1) When overseas, is incoming sms free as well? for example when receiving sms otp from banks, credit card, apps.

2) Someone mentioned needs around 20 days for sim delivery which means start date will be 2nd week of June. If I need the service to start on 1st June, can I sign up online and then choose to self collect at MR shop on 1st June?

Thanks!!
 

hereiam7788

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2015
Messages
5,261
Reaction score
1,005
Guys,

1) When overseas, is incoming sms free as well? for example when receiving sms otp from banks, credit card, apps.

2) Someone mentioned needs around 20 days for sim delivery which means start date will be 2nd week of June. If I need the service to start on 1st June, can I sign up online and then choose to self collect at MR shop on 1st June?

Thanks!!

1) yes. incoming roaming sms are always free no matter which telcos.

2) if you sign up online, you cannot self-collect the SIM card at MR office store. (actually it is just more of a counter than store, now only official 'store' are opened during the circuit breaker period, dealers etc. are closed)

You should just sign up at their 'store' straightaway, it only takes about 10mins to 15mins to do so and you get the SIM card to use immediately.
 

24thchromosome

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Messages
837
Reaction score
38
1) yes. incoming roaming sms are always free no matter which telcos.

2) if you sign up online, you cannot self-collect the SIM card at MR office store. (actually it is just more of a counter than store, now only official 'store' are opened during the circuit breaker period, dealers etc. are closed)

You should just sign up at their 'store' straightaway, it only takes about 10mins to 15mins to do so and you get the SIM card to use immediately.

Thank you so much, very good advice!
 

hereiam7788

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2015
Messages
5,261
Reaction score
1,005
I tried to request to merge the SIM card that is yet to deliver to my current SIM account. The CSO said that I must wait till the SIM card delivered and activated only I can do so.
 

itzdamnhot

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2019
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
MyRepublic Lite Plan experience with throttled speed:

Usual throttled speed: 384kbps

Youtube: 360p frequently lag if wanna watch video instantly, 240p is the best with this speed (though still can lag if video is of high size).

Instagram: Videos will load really slow. Instastory with videos will take 40s-1.5mins to load. The most laggiest social media among other.

Facebook: Actually loads pretty well. Videos just wait 15-20sec to load.

Twitter: On par with Facebook. Twitter videos took longer to load compared to Facebook (for me).

Bus arrival apps (SG BusLeh): Loads instantly

Whatsapp: send and receive almost instantly

Overall, still usable internet. Just have to be a bit more patient if you are watching video etc.
 

Jurong640

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2011
Messages
45,472
Reaction score
18,628
MyRepublic Lite Plan experience with throttled speed:

Usual throttled speed: 384kbps

Youtube: 360p frequently lag if wanna watch video instantly, 240p is the best with this speed (though still can lag if video is of high size).

Instagram: Videos will load really slow. Instastory with videos will take 40s-1.5mins to load. The most laggiest social media among other.

Facebook: Actually loads pretty well. Videos just wait 15-20sec to load.

Twitter: On par with Facebook. Twitter videos took longer to load compared to Facebook (for me).

Bus arrival apps (SG BusLeh): Loads instantly

Whatsapp: send and receive almost instantly

Overall, still usable internet. Just have to be a bit more patient if you are watching video etc.
same experience, not talking about photos and videos, facebook and Twitter feeds load pretty well. Whatsapp is pretty fine. But would still hope they increase the speed to at least 512kbps. I've feedback many times, might need everyone help to feedback to them. Make it possible:D
 

elanwy

Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
114
Reaction score
4
I signed up for port-in line on 30 April, until now still haven't confirmed the order. CSO says will check. They badly affected by Covid?
 

Jurong640

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2011
Messages
45,472
Reaction score
18,628
I signed up for port-in line on 30 April, until now still haven't confirmed the order. CSO says will check. They badly affected by Covid?

don't think so. This normally does not happen. Most got the email of confirmed order minutes after signing up. Did you check your spam email box?
 

hereiam7788

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2015
Messages
5,261
Reaction score
1,005
same experience, not talking about photos and videos, facebook and Twitter feeds load pretty well. Whatsapp is pretty fine. But would still hope they increase the speed to at least 512kbps. I've feedback many times, might need everyone help to feedback to them. Make it possible:D

Make it 1Mbps hahaha.
 

Yihaoong

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2019
Messages
812
Reaction score
50
Make it 1Mbps hahaha.

zero1 did that for their old plan. ($19 for 3gb to unlimited)
after the 3gb throttle at 1mbps all the way.

Currently, zero1 data plans throttle at 0.5mbps or lesser.

I think TPG will come out with better plans down the road, might have the XL plan (2-4gb per day to unlimited at 1mbps) when the launch fully. From the way it looks like is double the 50gb plan at $20/30days
 

elanwy

Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
114
Reaction score
4
don't think so. This normally does not happen. Most got the email of confirmed order minutes after signing up. Did you check your spam email box?
Asked them twice already. Said order still processing.

And suddenly approved liao.
 
Last edited:

hereiam7788

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2015
Messages
5,261
Reaction score
1,005
zero1 did that for their old plan. ($19 for 3gb to unlimited)
after the 3gb throttle at 1mbps all the way.

Currently, zero1 data plans throttle at 0.5mbps or lesser.

I think TPG will come out with better plans down the road, might have the XL plan (2-4gb per day to unlimited at 1mbps) when the launch fully. From the way it looks like is double the 50gb plan at $20/30days

i see. if zero1 is throttled at 512kbps then to me it is no difference than myrepublic lite plan at 384kbps as both are not suitable for youtube afterall. might as well stick to myrepublic for the overall better package.

i doubt TPG will do that. by rite, they should just continue the trial offer with the price of $10. i dun know why they come out a separate plan. 1Mbps to me is totally usable.
 

Himalaya

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2019
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Guys,

1) When overseas, is incoming sms free as well? for example when receiving sms otp from banks, credit card, apps.

2) Someone mentioned needs around 20 days for sim delivery which means start date will be 2nd week of June. If I need the service to start on 1st June, can I sign up online and then choose to self collect at MR shop on 1st June?

Thanks!!

I was told by MR support cannot sign online and collect at MR shop.
 

Mannnnnn

Member
Joined
May 19, 2020
Messages
162
Reaction score
0
Hi Bros. Just wanna ask if it is better to get the myrepublic lite plan or the tpg plan? Just for secondary number. Thanks!
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top