New EC at Sumang Walk

NiShiZhu

Banned
Reaction score
1356sqft at $1,350,400 = $995 psf

usually the bigger the unit, the lower the psf.. I didn't include in the penthouse units, I think may be lower than this $995psf if I do..

Gut feel after looking at the price, this project can move. Just gut feel.

Last edited:

watchlist88

Reaction score
Interesting thread here on all the various views. Let me share mine. Me and wife went balloting and were unsuccessful for 100 Palms. We stay currently in a HDB unit near to MRT, 1 short bus stop away totally sheltered even if it rains and going to buy groceries very convenient also at nearby shopping mall. So no need a car too.

We decided not to buy EC anymore cause the way the developers are bidding up the land prices and passing it on to buyers are ridiculous. Remember that at the price you pay, your hard earned money is going into the govt coffers due to land price and other taxes, developer profit margins and the bank due to interest.

We prefer to live a more carefree life not worried about finances and able to go family holidays freely and save more cash for retirement, perhaps enjoy semi retirement even earlier without such a heavy financial commitment on an expensive EC.

Also remember that buy EC is for own stay not for investment because you can only own 1 property. If 5 or 10 years later, you can sell high but you still got to buy high to find replacement unit to stay unless you downgrade back to stay HDB unit. If you own 2 or more properties then it is really for investment but not for 1 property.

We also ultimately prefer more space in our house over amenities in an EC. Bottomline, if we want space, stay in HDB. If we want to enjoy the facilities and environment of an EC, sacrifice space in the house.

I think everyone has their own preferences and to each his own. But you must clearly know why you are buying and weigh the risk - reward ratio and decide for yourself is this really what you want after considering all that is important to you and family.

Best of luck to those who have decided to ballot and for those who decide not to ballot or fail to get your desired unit during ballot , it is not the end of the world.... hahaha ... life goes on !

Path-Finder

Reaction score
Wah bro, ur post strucked me as i m in exact same dilemma...currently staying near mrt n shopping centre, sheltered walkway all the way to mrt, hdb loan finishing up. Not sure shd we move. Wife prefer to stay put as she treasures the convenience greatly.

Interesting thread here on all the various views. Let me share mine. Me and wife went balloting and were unsuccessful for 100 Palms. We stay currently in a HDB unit near to MRT, 1 short bus stop away totally sheltered even if it rains and going to buy groceries very convenient also at nearby shopping mall. So no need a car too.

We decided not to buy EC anymore cause the way the developers are bidding up the land prices and passing it on to buyers are ridiculous. Remember that at the price you pay, your hard earned money is going into the govt coffers due to land price and other taxes, developer profit margins and the bank due to interest.

We prefer to live a more carefree life not worried about finances and able to go family holidays freely and save more cash for retirement, perhaps enjoy semi retirement even earlier without such a heavy financial commitment on an expensive EC.

Also remember that buy EC is for own stay not for investment because you can only own 1 property. If 5 or 10 years later, you can sell high but you still got to buy high to find replacement unit to stay unless you downgrade back to stay HDB unit. If you own 2 or more properties then it is really for investment but not for 1 property.

We also ultimately prefer more space in our house over amenities in an EC. Bottomline, if we want space, stay in HDB. If we want to enjoy the facilities and environment of an EC, sacrifice space in the house.

I think everyone has their own preferences and to each his own. But you must clearly know why you are buying and weigh the risk - reward ratio and decide for yourself is this really what you want after considering all that is important to you and family.

Best of luck to those who have decided to ballot and for those who decide not to ballot or fail to get your desired unit during ballot , it is not the end of the world.... hahaha ... life goes on !

Passerboy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

True, but on highsight if you had succeeded in the hundred palms ballot, you would have a huge paper gain now (given the uptick in prices and cross island line in time to come), where the profits can aid towards even earlier retirement if u downgrade later.

Braun8

Master Member
Reaction score

Good post.

After seeing the prices for this EC, it makes staying in HDB and be debt-free look so much better.

Merg91

Master Member
Reaction score
Good debt is different from bad debt. :o

Many generations found that buying private properties early get to stay free + capital gain.

After seeing the prices for this EC, it makes staying in HDB and be debt-free look so much better.

fotoudavid

Reaction score
Don't know why some believe staying in HDB can be debt free.. Even you paid fully don't mean debt free.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.