NOKIA LUMIA 1020

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Joined
Sep 24, 2011
Messages
3,415
Reaction score
0

xtrememanix

Master Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2009
Messages
4,429
Reaction score
6
a great (& lengthy) review . she cant stop saying WOW, STUNNING when it comes to the camera . and lots of picture preview and one video preview !

im totally poisoned .

 

brianadam888

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2002
Messages
501
Reaction score
0

bedlamite

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Messages
1,977
Reaction score
51
Interesting piece of info.

If the Lumia 1020 has built-in amp I'm ready to jump camp :D

Similar to the 8x's amp? I haven't used a 8x so I really don't know how good that's supposed to be, but I think Nokia's software EQ more than makes up for the omission of a h/w amp. In any case, my 920 has no issues powering my audio equipment
 

xtrememanix

Master Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2009
Messages
4,429
Reaction score
6
Similar to the 8x's amp? I haven't used a 8x so I really don't know how good that's supposed to be, but I think Nokia's software EQ more than makes up for the omission of a h/w amp. In any case, my 920 has no issues powering my audio equipment

the 8x dedicated amp is really useful . tried it and its really powerful .

if only nokia can have it in their phones also . haha cos i listen to music on my device alot too

but i take photos more so the 1020 for me definitely . :D
 

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2001
Messages
17,586
Reaction score
1,689
btw..


can't wait!



This is seen all over Nokia related post.. so annoying, yet proving one point.
Nokia's hardware is top notch and superior.

Fee would dispute Nokia phone has good built quality. IMHO should have both win8 and android phones.

A double-edge sword... :s13:

An Android powered Lumia 1020 would probably bring Nokia back into black but it would also probably kill MS's best chance of breaking into the iOS-Android market share.
 

xtrememanix

Master Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2009
Messages
4,429
Reaction score
6
A double-edge sword... :s13:

An Android powered Lumia 1020 would probably bring Nokia back into black but it would also probably kill MS's best chance of breaking into the iOS-Android market share.

actually its really better to stick to windows phone .

cos i dont see why would google help nokia and even give them money to innovate hardware and software wise ! .

microsoft is giving them loads !
 

E_T

Master Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2000
Messages
3,097
Reaction score
0
Interesting piece of info.

If the Lumia 1020 has built-in amp I'm ready to jump camp :D
All I can say to this is, the best you can do is use the EQ but don't bother with Dolby Mobile. See further comments below.

Similar to the 8x's amp? I haven't used a 8x so I really don't know how good that's supposed to be, but I think Nokia's software EQ more than makes up for the omission of a h/w amp. In any case, my 920 has no issues powering my audio equipment

bedlamite, I haven't heard 8X but I've heard Trophy 7, which scored high in terms of SNR, Harmonic Distortions etc. Lumia 800/920 really no fight. HTC put a dedicated amp will require extra shielding & PCB real-estate which almost 100% confirm better SNR, Harmonic distortions & stereo separation.

EQ only change the tonality of the sound. It does little to combat distortions. In fact, it can make some distortion worse.

Very simple test. Just take any rock music with guitar, encode with high-bitrate & play on a Lumia 920 vs iPhone 5/Galaxy S3/8X to the Monster Purity headphone. You can easily tell the difference. Classical music will also highlight Lumia's lower SNR.

Yes you can adjust EQ to make it sound better but clarity & fidelity is not there. Of course, for day-to-day listening, you may not notice lah... =:p
 

bedlamite

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Messages
1,977
Reaction score
51
bedlamite, I haven't heard 8X but I've heard Trophy 7, which scored high in terms of SNR, Harmonic Distortions etc. Lumia 800/920 really no fight. HTC put a dedicated amp will require extra shielding & PCB real-estate which almost 100% confirm better SNR, Harmonic distortions & stereo separation.

EQ only change the tonality of the sound. It does little to combat distortions. In fact, it can make some distortion worse.

Very simple test. Just take any rock music with guitar, encode with high-bitrate & play on a Lumia 920 vs iPhone 5/Galaxy S3/8X to the Monster Purity headphone. You can easily tell the difference. Classical music will also highlight Lumia's lower SNR.

Yes you can adjust EQ to make it sound better but clarity & fidelity is not there. Of course, for day-to-day listening, you may not notice lah... =:p
When htc first announced the 8x I was this close to picking it over the 920, music listening accounts for a huge part of my phone usage and I'd obviously want the best possible hardware for that purpose, without getting into portable amps, etc. I eventually chose a 920 over the 8x due to Nokia's software support, and it's pretty clear it's been worth the sacrifice. I'd like the hardware amp, sure, but nobody can touch what Nokia is doing on the software side

I did mention the s/w EQ, but I never touch it lol. Making the smallest adjustment ruins the fidelity of the music. Dolby Mobile, Beats all the same also. all koyak one
 

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2001
Messages
17,586
Reaction score
1,689
actually its really better to stick to windows phone .

cos i dont see why would google help nokia and even give them money to innovate hardware and software wise ! .

microsoft is giving them loads !

To a certain extent, Nokia and even HTC can produce innovation in hardware.

Software on the other hand...until MS relax their WP policy, there won't be any discernible difference between the various WP phones.
 

xtrememanix

Master Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2009
Messages
4,429
Reaction score
6
Software wise I think its clearly better for Microsoft to keep it closed . This will ensure that windows phone work smoothly on all OEM devices and on low end devices. I'm sure low end devices wouldn't work like they do now if Microsoft were to open up their OS . But still there's alot of diff software side . Nokia has a huge collection of apps and software integration which makes it distinctive from other OEM . So you can't say that all windows phone is the same .
To a certain extent, Nokia and even HTC can produce innovation in hardware.

Software on the other hand...until MS relax their WP policy, there won't be any discernible difference between the various WP phones.
 

sianz

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2000
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
0
Can we please stop this Android on Nokia crap. I used Android way longer than I used wp8 or iOS, but after using wp8 there is no way I want to use Android again. Even iOS provides a better experience, but nothing beats the integration and intuitiveness of wp8
 

sG_KYo

Master Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2004
Messages
3,340
Reaction score
0
Just like those closeted married bi-sexuals who cringe at the thought of homosexual tendencies, those who scream for Android on Nokia phones have latent WP8 tendencies ...

They are in true fact, the biggest fanboys of Nokia who sad-to-say, just wanna be seen as "trendy" and using the most common brand but in fact they are dying to be different.

Make sense?

OK, crap aside, Where's Lim Peh's Matt Yellow Nokia Lumia 1020?

I need to quickly ask SGPools for a top prize this weekend liao ... maybe go and spray my car Matt Yellow to match the phone.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top