NOKIA LUMIA 1020

sG_KYo

Master Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2004
Messages
3,340
Reaction score
0
Finally I can replace my pureview 808. How are you guys buying it so early? ATT model? Doesn't that not work on our local 3g/4g bands?

seriously, who cares about the stupid LTE network here in SG. LOL
 

kopi22

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2000
Messages
33,257
Reaction score
763
Cool! Someone paid attention in science classes! :)





I'm hoping that some people may buy it for the camera irregardless of the OS. :)

Initially I wasn't very excited but now that Nokia has shown what apps can be enhanced with this camera + the Live zoomable video recording, I'm starting to warm up to the idea, since 1) it looks like a Lumia 920 (I'm getting white) 2) it's lighter 3) my contract should be due by the time it launches.

Hey I have one question regarding the Nokia camera apps if you don't mind. I seen how powerful the Camera Pro app is during the launch event. But in order to do burst shots, object removal, etc we will need to use the Smart camera app right? Does the Smart camera app supports the 41MP photos? Was hoping burst mode built right in the default Camera pro though....

:o
 

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Joined
Sep 24, 2011
Messages
3,415
Reaction score
0
seriously, who cares about the stupid LTE network here in SG. LOL

yes haha! My grandfather 12GB plan at 39 dollars.
One month, I suck at least 6-10 out of it on my Lumia 920 and iPad.

Who cares about 4G if I can't use much...
 
Last edited:

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Joined
Sep 24, 2011
Messages
3,415
Reaction score
0
Dude, that's EXACTLY what the Nokia oversampling is supposed to solve!

By combining 3 adjacent pixel to form 1 "super-pixel" you reduce the quantum interference by a huge margin. By using Bicubic interpolation, you also smooth out adjacent super-pixels a bit so the resultant picture is smoother (further noise reduction).

As for the Quantum wave interference, photons can interfere with itself & each other when there's an opaque media in its path. In this case, it's the border of the pixels that appear as a black grid under a microscope. This is where the wiring runs.

This interference causes the photon to appear to land in more than 1 place & is completely random. Micro-lenses help by amplifying "direct" waves & deflect incidental waves, IIRC.

More info available here.

The secret lives of photons revealed | physics4me

ohh!! I heard of the over sampling so many times yet not knowing how its actually done. Thanks.
 

sianz

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2000
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
0
So the ATT set can use our 3g network? No need to unlock?

yes haha! My grandfather 12GB plan at 39 dollars.
One month, I suck at least 6-10 out of it on my Lumia 920 and iPad.

Who cares about 4G if I can't use much...
 

sG_KYo

Master Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2004
Messages
3,340
Reaction score
0
So the ATT set can use our 3g network? No need to unlock?

it is unlocked from AT&T ...

:)

@LastBattle ... how come u gotch info when shipping? I paying more for shipping also no sound no news.
 

E_T

Master Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2000
Messages
3,097
Reaction score
0
Hey I have one question regarding the Nokia camera apps if you don't mind. I seen how powerful the Camera Pro app is during the launch event. But in order to do burst shots, object removal, etc we will need to use the Smart camera app right? Does the Smart camera app supports the 41MP photos? Was hoping burst mode built right in the default Camera pro though....

:o

Nokia Smart Camera takes 10 shots of 5MP each.

I'm sure someone will ask maybe Nokia can release a software update to enable it. Well, not gonna happen... :evil:

Here why:

Assuming each pixel is 24-bits, 3 bytes, a 38mpix RAW file will be 119,537,664 (120MB). Burst mode is 10 fps so it becomes 1,195,376,640bytes (1.2GB).

According to some estimates, S4 (or maybe S800) memory bandwidth is 8Gbps which falls way short of the bandwidth needed to push 1.2GB/s to process 38Mpix in burst mode. With memory bottleneck & inadequate CPU power, I think the S4 can only do up to 6-7 fps of 38mpix without converting to 5mpix pictures. If any processing is done, I think it'll drop to 2fps.

UNLESS, Nokia somehow manages to use the Adreno 225 GPU to handle the image processing which is the direction ARM is heading, like OPENCL but I doubt it.
 

E_T

Master Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2000
Messages
3,097
Reaction score
0
Yah, especially since Nokia announcing something "BIG" in 17 hours.
 

sG_KYo

Master Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2004
Messages
3,340
Reaction score
0
Yah, especially since Nokia announcing something "BIG" in 17 hours.

again, like i said to my fellow Phone Fanatics ... wake me up when it is a Flagship phone ...

1005998_632042093486177_2128881212_n.png


Anything below PV tech is a joke for me ... unless it cost below S$200 ... that is for funsies.
 

kopi22

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2000
Messages
33,257
Reaction score
763
again, like i said to my fellow Phone Fanatics ... wake me up when it is a Flagship phone ...

1005998_632042093486177_2128881212_n.png


Anything below PV tech is a joke for me ... unless it cost below S$200 ... that is for funsies.

Yah.... Is attack of the clones.... :o
 

bedlamite

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Messages
1,977
Reaction score
51
Nokia's already got the techies covered with the 920/925/1020, this 625 is going for the same market as the 620/520.

The 520 is already selling in huge numbers in India, a sizable emerging market, and it's also starting to ramp up sales in the US (AT&T is putting it out for US$99). What the 625 brings is a nice big screen, something the 620/520 don't have.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the 625/520 combo is going to move far more units than Nokia's flagships. Techies might dismiss it as a joke phone, but Nokia's range of cheap WP8 phones may just end up bringing them more success (read:market share) than their flagships.
 

sG_KYo

Master Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2004
Messages
3,340
Reaction score
0
Nokia's already got the techies covered with the 920/925/1020, this 625 is going for the same market as the 620/520.

The 520 is already selling in huge numbers in India, a sizable emerging market, and it's also starting to ramp up sales in the US (AT&T is putting it out for US$99). What the 625 brings is a nice big screen, something the 620/520 don't have.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the 625/520 combo is going to move far more units than Nokia's flagships. Techies might dismiss it as a joke phone, but Nokia's range of cheap WP8 phones may just end up bringing them more success (read:market share) than their flagships.

in terms of selling in numbers, yes this range of devices will help to position Nokia in the next billions of phones that they can sell.

I myself also bought the 520 for funsies sake and i never looked back as it is a fun phone to use as a travelling SIM/Data/Internet Sharing device.

End of the day, i will still be traveling with my flagship camera phones that tethers from my entry level and does the job fine phone - which means preferably it should be a smaller sized phone - 4.7" is a little too big for me to carry around since whenever i am out on a trip, i have like a bazillion gadgets to carry.

The L625 is definitely gonna capture those ppl who wants a bigger screen phone but refuse (note I said, refused and not cannot) to pay flagship prices. I myself can already see the potential for ppl who loves to watch serials on-the-go. :)
 

E_T

Master Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2000
Messages
3,097
Reaction score
0
That's how market share is bought mah... I've been saying for years already. Android main bulk of market share is in cheapo phones. Last time made in China, now also made in India. At that price, people don't care about specs, resolution, OS, limitations, etc.

It's a cheapo phone & as long as can work, they don't care how. WP8 on 2 year old Snapdragon S4 1+ Ghz is almost as powerful as Mediatek quad-core (IIRC). Plus WP8 is so efficient & smooth, people should have little issues with buying it.

To be brutally honest, Lumia 1020 is not going save a sinking ship. So I'm hoping that WP8 will be a bottom-up effort & people spread the word on how solid WP8 phones are.
 

E_T

Master Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2000
Messages
3,097
Reaction score
0
THIS is what excites me about the Lumia 1020.

By THIS, I mean the Smart Cam & Pro Cam apps. Start around 3:00

 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top