[Official]: Changi Mobile

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2001
Messages
8,886
Reaction score
4,897
Would like to ask if anyone knows, how many days minimum I have to stay in CM after porting in and before porting out? Can't seem to find anything relating to this in their FAQ..

I plan to do a M1 > CM > MyRepublic

Was wondering if I can port out like 1-2 days after CM's line successfully ported in from M1

Because I need a network provider with eSim + VoLTE Voice App for overseas use.. And MyRep dont have promos for M1 port-ins lol..
Usually it's in the T&C, not normally in the FAQs.

Going through their T&C, they don't seem to state a minimum.
https://changimobile.com/T&C/
I presume you're doing this because you can't port to MR from M1, but Changi Mobile is also on the M1 network as one of their MVNOs. You might be better off using Zero1 as your interim operator as they also don't have a minimum, and it's Singtel so it's a bit clearer that you're not trying to port from M1. I think the NDP promo is still ongoing now, so you can get $1 off (ie, $5.90 for the first month) too - no SIM card fees, no registration fees! You can choose to collect the SIM card from the post office, so no delivery fees. $5.90 is cheaper than $8. ;)
 

AlvinDj

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2004
Messages
8,800
Reaction score
220
Usually it's in the T&C, not normally in the FAQs.

Going through their T&C, they don't seem to state a minimum.
https://changimobile.com/T&C/
I presume you're doing this because you can't port to MR from M1, but Changi Mobile is also on the M1 network as one of their MVNOs. You might be better off using Zero1 as your interim operator as they also don't have a minimum, and it's Singtel so it's a bit clearer that you're not trying to port from M1. I think the NDP promo is still ongoing now, so you can get $1 off (ie, $5.90 for the first month) too - no SIM card fees, no registration fees! You can choose to collect the SIM card from the post office, so no delivery fees. $5.90 is cheaper than $8. ;)
Reason why I choose ChangiMobile is because, I have a promo code to get the 1st month of the 'Value $8 plan' totally free lol..

Ideally making my hassle of porting FOC..

Hence I choose CM as my interim than any others which requires upfront payment for that very first month..

Even if I choose to terminate or port out within 1 day, I have no lost..

Although CM is under M1's MVNO, it's still doable as I have tried a mock signup just have not yet proceeded with it..

Nevertheless, I have gone through their T&C's and thoroughly checked through their FAQ.. No where states the minimum which makes me wonder...
 
Last edited:

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2001
Messages
8,886
Reaction score
4,897
Reason why I choose ChangiMobile is because, I have a promo code to get the 1st month of the 'Value $8 plan' totally free lol..

Ideally making my hassle of porting FOC..

Hence I choose CM as my interim than any others which requires upfront payment for that very first month..

Even if I choose to terminate or port out within 1 day, I have no lost..

Although CM is under M1's MVNO, it's still doable as I have tried a mock signup just have not yet proceeded with it..

Nevertheless, I have gone through their T&C's and thoroughly checked through their FAQ.. No where states the minimum which makes me wonder...
Your call. If MyRepublic decides that CM is a M1 MVNO, then you just won't be able to port and qualify for promotion either.

These promotions are about gaining market share, so the point is to steal from other telcos, not their own. That's why I recommended using Z1 instead, since that's Singtel and very clearly a different telco.
 

Arandalo

Master Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2014
Messages
4,101
Reaction score
1,249
A point to add, if you check Cellmapper, there are much fewer M1 towers compared to Singtel and StarHub, so this reinforces the thought that the tower signals are boosted. Click around your regular areas and compare with the other telcos on LTE. You'll have a visual map of where the cellular towers are like, and what kind of coverage to expect. I have very poor M1 coverage in the 6-8 areas I frequent compared to ST and SH.

If you think about it, plans can also be cheaper if they invested less in infrastructure hardware and pay less bills overall (because of installing fewer towers/stations). Whereas those telcos that spend more to provide customers better coverage will of course need to charge more. Simply, you pay for what you get.

https://www.cellmapper.net/map
Edit: Just picked a place near where I used to work at, and it's right in town so it's not some obscure place that they can claim "I don't expect many users". This is near the very popular Waterloo Street temple. The screen captures speak for themselves.

StarHub:
View attachment 31851

Singtel:
View attachment 31852

M1:
View attachment 31853
Interesting, first time I see a cellular coverage map down to the street level.
How accurate is CellMapper though? Since it’s crowd sourced but iOS users are excluded which means quite a significant portion of signal data is not taken into account.
 

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
16,840
Reaction score
1,782
Interesting, first time I see a cellular coverage map down to the street level.
How accurate is CellMapper though? Since it’s crowd sourced but iOS users are excluded which means quite a significant portion of signal data is not taken into account.
using your logic apple users can physically access more places which android users cant so its not accurate?
 

sullycoin

Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2021
Messages
359
Reaction score
186
Would like to ask if anyone knows, how many days minimum I have to stay in CM after porting in and before porting out? Can't seem to find anything relating to this in their FAQ..
No minimum. You can port out the next day if you wish. The minimum billing cycle is 1 month.

Your call. If MyRepublic decides that CM is a M1 MVNO, then you just won't be able to port and qualify for promotion either.

These promotions are about gaining market share, so the point is to steal from other telcos, not their own. That's why I recommended using Z1 instead, since that's Singtel and very clearly a different telco.
The MVNOs are not related to each other. MyRepublic doesn't care if the customer comes from Singtel, Zero1, or Changi Mobile. They are all new customers. I'm sure they would be happy to steal customers from M1 too but I suspect as part of their contract with M1 for purchase of bandwidth, the telcos would have restricted the ability of the MVNOs to apply promotions & signup bonuses to the telco's existing customer.
 

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2001
Messages
8,886
Reaction score
4,897
The MVNOs are not related to each other. MyRepublic doesn't care if the customer comes from Singtel, Zero1, or Changi Mobile. They are all new customers. I'm sure they would be happy to steal customers from M1 too but I suspect as part of their contract with M1 for purchase of bandwidth, the telcos would have restricted the ability of the MVNOs to apply promotions & signup bonuses to the telco's existing customer.
While you're right that they have no relation with each other, I seem to recall some months back, when I was in the porting game, that there were MVNOs that excluded other MVNOs under the same parent for porting promotions.

If you view it from a market share perspective, it is more understandable than merely trying to grab customers. The global business news tends to track by parent telco rather than by MVNO, so it's more significant if the jump is across operator,
https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...rhub-Singtel-and-TPG---ResearchAndMarkets.com
 

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2013
Messages
8,082
Reaction score
463
The MVNOs are not related to each other. MyRepublic doesn't care if the customer comes from Singtel, Zero1, or Changi Mobile. They are all new customers. I'm sure they would be happy to steal customers from M1 too but I suspect as part of their contract with M1 for purchase of bandwidth, the telcos would have restricted the ability of the MVNOs to apply promotions & signup bonuses to the telco's existing customer.
thats assuming they're split.

For example, for some CL/CM promos, it was stated that M1 customers are excluded.

However, assuming you're MR-M1 customer.
When you port in, you can't submit as MR, since it's MR-SH.
You have to port in through M1.
This means that the promos is invalid because you set it as M1, not MR.
 

sullycoin

Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2021
Messages
359
Reaction score
186
While you're right that they have no relation with each other, I seem to recall some months back, when I was in the porting game, that there were MVNOs that excluded other MVNOs under the same parent for porting promotions.
That was Singtel & the MVNOs using their infrastructure. & they were explicit in stating that (including listing out the MVNOs).

iirc the Changi Mobile T&Cs just listed 'M1'.

If you view it from a market share perspective, it is more understandable than merely trying to grab customers. The global business news tends to track by parent telco rather than by MVNO, so it's more significant if the jump is across operator,
Fair enough. Except none of them care particularly about that. Main KPIs are ARPU & revenue. For telcos, smaller market share but higher ARPU is not necessarily a bad thing.

thats assuming they're split.

For example, for some CL/CM promos, it was stated that M1 customers are excluded.

However, assuming you're MR-M1 customer.
When you port in, you can't submit as MR, since it's MR-SH.
You have to port in through M1.
This means that the promos is invalid because you set it as M1, not MR.
Actually, when I ported my MyR line to CL a few months back, it failed when I put the donor telco as M1. It successfully ported over when I changed it to MyR.

But it's a fair point. Some of the MVNOs are not listed explicitly & would be caught in this situation.
 

Arandalo

Master Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2014
Messages
4,101
Reaction score
1,249
using your logic apple users can physically access more places which android users cant so its not accurate?
I did not imply that so not sure where you even came to such a conclusion. In any crowd sourced data, the higher the number of users the more accurate the data will likely be. It’s pretty much basic.

Take for example the traffic congestion when you see on Google maps or Apple maps, if a large portion of users opted out or are not tracked, the traffic congestion data becomes unreliable.

Also in Singapore the number of iPhone users is quite high compared to other countries. Coupled with the fact that if more iPhone users are using a particular telco, that data available for the cellular coverage map for that telco will be underreported. In some commercial or residential areas with only a handful of people that frequent are all iPhone users, this can cause the data to show no available coverage.
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
I ported in from Vivifi in March :s13:
Yeah will be porting out soon when I find a suitable one.
well tbh nowadays there is no prefect solutions for everything and everything is systemetic....so if the system detect and to change some things probably they are unable to do it on their ends and have to push to higher up to make decision on doing so. (well im just guessing....)
 

AlvinDj

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2004
Messages
8,800
Reaction score
220
ChangiMobile's CSO mentioned that in order to receive incoming calls while overseas, I have to purchase their IDD packs?

Without it, incoming calls won't be coming in but only able to receive incoming SMS's whilst overseas.. Is that true?
 

CPTMiller

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2000
Messages
9,616
Reaction score
1,044
ChangiMobile's CSO mentioned that in order to receive incoming calls while overseas, I have to purchase their IDD packs?

Without it, incoming calls won't be coming in but only able to receive incoming SMS's whilst overseas.. Is that true?
What you mean asking " Is that true"
If the Changi Mobile CSO tell you and you dont believe it?
 

Arandalo

Master Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2014
Messages
4,101
Reaction score
1,249
What you mean asking " Is that true"
If the Changi Mobile CSO tell you and you dont believe it?
Haha sometimes there’s trust issues as some customer service officer can be very blur and give wrong information.

Anyway @AlvinDj it should be correct as from what I know roaming is usually only free to receive SMS, and most people only buy data roaming pack which does not include IDD calls (sold separately).
 

AlvinDj

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2004
Messages
8,800
Reaction score
220
What you mean asking " Is that true"
If the Changi Mobile CSO tell you and you dont believe it?
I have been through many different companies / telco / bank CSO that knows jack shiet about their own product..

So am just double confirming it here..
 

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2001
Messages
8,886
Reaction score
4,897
GMSA explains the steps for SMS roaming.
https://www.gsma.com/aboutus/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/smsdataroamingexplained.pdf
SMS Roaming Send.pngSMS Roaming Receive.png
There are some overseas telcos that actually charge to "forward" SMSes while roaming, even though logic tells us we can't control receiving SMSes.

So the question is a valid one. SMS receiving can be disabled while roaming, so we will always need to check with the operators to confirm. We're used to many telcos just allowing SMS roaming to work one-way (receiving), but I've also had more than a few moments when I never received any SMSes from people while overseas because it gets "lost in transition".

Perhaps Changi just wants to ensure that there is a roaming agreement and so requires customers to subscribe to the package to enable receiving of SMSes. That's their call. It means they can validly charge customers for receiving SMSes if the partner telco in the destination country chooses to charge them. It's not really their cost to bear since the customer is the one roaming.
 

Jurong640

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2011
Messages
45,447
Reaction score
18,618
Any reason why M1 number excluded from port in?

https://changimobile.com/plan/pro?id=152&type=0
If don't port in can choose specific number?
It is because Changi Mobile is using M1 backed network. Just like MyRepublic Mobile, they also have promotions for non-m1 port in customers.

Firstly, they want to get more non-m1 customers into M1 network. Hence, this will increase M1 subscribers base. Hence, I think it's one of the reasons, they don't want people porting from MyRepublic to Changi Mobile to M1 and/to or from Circles.life. It's like 1-1=1. You port out of say M1, M1 loses 1 customer, then you port in to Changi Mobile, M1 gained another customer. Net gain =0.
 

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2001
Messages
8,886
Reaction score
4,897
It is because Changi Mobile is using M1 backed network. Just like MyRepublic Mobile, they also have promotions for non-m1 port in customers.

Firstly, they want to get more non-m1 customers into M1 network. Hence, this will increase M1 subscribers base. Hence, I think it's one of the reasons, they don't want people porting from MyRepublic to Changi Mobile to M1 and/to or from Circles.life. It's like 1-1=1. You port out of say M1, M1 loses 1 customer, then you port in to Changi Mobile, M1 gained another customer. Net gain =0.
To add, it's also because market share is not so much determined by the individual MVNOs, but more the overall parent operator. A lot of international metrics and marketing sites count share like that.

That's why it's prudent, if you want to take advantage of promotions, to port out to an operator under a different parent network - then port back. Yes net gain = 0, but they will probably use the statistic of "I took X users from operator A". Marketing and stats - they will manipulate to present the best image.
 
Joined
Mar 18, 2008
Messages
6,937
Reaction score
470
To add, it's also because market share is not so much determined by the individual MVNOs, but more the overall parent operator. A lot of international metrics and marketing sites count share like that.

That's why it's prudent, if you want to take advantage of promotions, to port out to an operator under a different parent network - then port back. Yes net gain = 0, but they will probably use the statistic of "I took X users from operator A". Marketing and stats - they will manipulate to present the best image.
but to port out first then port back in have to spend extra right? Not sure if really can earn from the promo...
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top