[Official] Playstation 5

Xethos

Reaction score
No it's not exaggerated. What a joke. Go back and watch the road to PS5 and you'll understand why 7,000MB/s is needed for the internal NVMe.

As for the DF video, it's almost as if there was a bottleneck of some sort when transferring to/from the external drives. You know, like a USB port.

How does this help evaluate running PS5 games direct from the SSD?

This may help you understand ...

My bad, I didn't follow the development news for the PS5 that closely. I just made my comment based on that video.
Now I learnt that PS5 games designed for such speed will have much faster speeds.

Eh no, I have 2 x gaming PCs with 5500 mbps ssd. Honestly the ps5 loading time and performance is very impressive compared to my setups.

Setup 1: rtx 3070 + ryzen 5600x + gigabyte Aorus ssd + dell s2721DGF monitor and LG 27GL850 monitor

Setup 2; rtx 3070 + Intel 10600k + gigabyte Aorus ssd + LG 27GL850 monitor

PS5 setup: LG 65 CX OLED + pst disc. My tv supports 4K 120hz and is g sync compatible.

honestly if you think about price of the digital ps5, 599 sgd minus cost of controller, 500 sgd for ryzen 8 core processor, rtx 2080 super equivalent card, 825gb 5500mbps ssd, this is a crazy price which is why ps5 is hard to get.
I'm lucky to have a PS5 now, it's is really great value for the specs it has.

You misinterpreted their words. Those old games are designed for at most, someone upgrading the PS4 to a SATA SSD. Thus the games sometimes favoring SSD and thus, getting you faster speeds. That is why ideally, just keep your old PS4 games on an external SSD drive.

But ACTUAL PS5 games that will really take advantage of the NVMe will be way more impressive. To the point where it can even beat PC game loading times as well. I have NVMe SSDs all over my PC. So I know. Anyway, once Microsoft brings DirectStorage API from the XBOX to Windows, then finally, PC should in theory be able to match the loading speed of the PS5 games.

The upcoming Rachet and Clank PS5 game will be the best example of the PS5 game loading capability on that very speedy NVMe SSD.

PS. Currently on Windows, some games actually load faster too when you are using a SATA SSD vs NVMe SSD. And again, it boils down to the coding done for these games to take advantage of SATA SSDs and were not designed for NVMe.
Thus the need for Microsoft to include the DirectStorage API.
So as you can very well see, the PC is suffering from the same problem that the PS5 is facing as well. And it all boils down to the games having to specifically be able to take advantage of the way faster speeds of these NVMe SSDs.
The video to prove this is on Linus Tech Tips in regards to comparing the different SSDs.

And with Rachet and Clank technical analysis out, the verdict is clear at how fast and almost instantaneous the loading is from the PS5 SSD.

From my own experience, games are probably as fast as they are designed to be. If you tried PS4 game Crash Team Racing on PS5, which don't seem that resource intensive, somehow the loading are slow on PS5 as well. PS5 games like Astro's Playroom that looks so sharp and with better graphics loads fast as hell.

Agree that PS5 games coded to take advantage of the fast NVME SSD will then fully utilised the fast speed of PS5 SSD. Thanks all for the clarification.

charleslin

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is quite a good explainer. Also one thing to note is so far no one, atleast accurately has measured how much of the data is being rendered from visual standpoint of view which is where i believe the internal SSD will shine ever more besides the loading times. As in, when you're just swinging around in spiderman, how much of the city can you see, how fast is everything loading dynamically and maybe help with lag times as well.

The bigger question for me is whether the super fast SSD, the one's that are going to be compatible with PS5 is worth or not? The jump from HDD to SSD was definitely needed, but reducing the load times from 25sec to 15sec, is it worth almost double the price? I would rather have a 2TB slower SSD rather a 1TB 30% faster SSD even at the same price because i think storage is more annoying of a bottleneck now rather than faster SSD.
However this might change in the future. What do you guys think?
The SSD prices will slowly come down as production yields increase and more R&D into cost reduction for production and scale.

Current SSD used to be very expensive too, before SSD there was high speed HDD like Western Digital Raptors that were very expensive per GB compared to normal HDD also.

GotBetrayed

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Something’s abit fishy. Post came up today and stated that preorder takes 1-2 months. Yet, there’s already people leaving reviews?
Maybe is previous batch. However, there are 2 possibilities, seller need to pay deposit to certain shops etc.

the other possibility would be like a pyramid scheme, where the first few people who dealt with him got it, then use this method to bait many deposits and run road

orangbulu

Reaction score
Paiseh newbie question, I bought the disc version of PS5 for my son & I don’t understand why he said the soon not enough disc space liao ?

I thought I bought the more expensive disc version, the game is to play from disc, why still need to hard disk ? Is it the system copy from the disc to harddisk so that it’s faster when you play ?

If that’s true, then the more different games he play, soon the memory space in the hard disk will be gone leh

what is the solution to this ? How to buy harddisk ? I mean what type of harddisk and where to buy ? Only proprietary Sony harddisk ?

thanks

Regardless of whether you buy the disc or digital version, all games use the same amount of drive space. Since PS3 era, all the games are run off the hard drive as the disc speeds are not fast enough. Main diff between Disc and Digital, is on the installation method and DRM management.

I wont be surprised that your son has a full hard disk depending on the games he play. There is only 667GB available for game installation, and depending on the games he play that is probably 8-10 games or so.

If he needs more space, either delete some games or buy an external HDD/ SSD. Do note that you can only play PS4 games on external HDD/SSD. For PS5 games, you can store them on external drive, but if you want to play it you have to transfer it back to the internal SSD

Adam80

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
your son talking nonsense

my ps4 play so many games on disc also never run out of space

unless he using the console for other reasons :s8:
Could be his son save the game capture to the ps5 drive, it will take up alot space fast. (1080p capture)

ryan_khoo

Master Member
Reaction score
Regardless of whether you buy the disc or digital version, all games use the same amount of drive space. Since PS3 era, all the games are run off the hard drive as the disc speeds are not fast enough. Main diff between Disc and Digital, is on the installation method and DRM management.

I wont be surprised that your son has a full hard disk depending on the games he play. There is only 667GB available for game installation, and depending on the games he play that is probably 8-10 games or so.

If he needs more space, either delete some games or buy an external HDD/ SSD. Do note that you can only play PS4 games on external HDD/SSD. For PS5 games, you can store them on external drive, but if you want to play it you have to transfer it back to the internal SSD
Can we buy just any external HDD or must buy from Sony ?

Thanks.

Op_Valkyrie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone chiong physical games now?
building my game library now for my two PS5 but think disk space also running low fast…. :(

A792-A451-689-B-447-E-9307-4-ACAC7-E6-B0-CF.jpg

B14-D2992-7-D66-4818-A1-AE-4056-C64-AF696.jpg

Reaction score
Paiseh newbie question, I bought the disc version of PS5 for my son & I don’t understand why he said the soon not enough disc space liao ?

I thought I bought the more expensive disc version, the game is to play from disc, why still need to hard disk ? Is it the system copy from the disc to harddisk so that it’s faster when you play ?

If that’s true, then the more different games he play, soon the memory space in the hard disk will be gone leh

what is the solution to this ? How to buy harddisk ? I mean what type of harddisk and where to buy ? Only proprietary Sony harddisk ?

thanks

If your still interested in a hard disk go for a Seagate or Western Digital one

I personally use a Seagate backup plus slim 2tb

if you need more help pm me

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.