Accumulating and Distributing ETFs
We were all noobs once; no need to apologise!
It doesn't make a difference. You won't be leaving the dividends from VWRD in cash; you'll be reinvesting them into more shares of VWRD. The end result will be the same - even if the price of VWRD round-trips back to where it started, you'll have more money than you did before, because of the reinvested dividends.
Hi Shiny,
Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice!
Sorry, still slightly confused. Could you explain how I will have more money than I did before? Apologies as I am still unsure how accumulating ETFs work as my portfolio currently only consists of Singapore blue chips and ES3. For example, I have 5000 shares of ES3 which I bought at $2.60 back in 2016. For the dividend that ES3 pays, I may choose to buy more ES3, buy other blue chips, keep as cash, etc. In other words, this cash flow affords some degree of flexibility.
On the other hand, from what I understand, an accumulating ETF pays no dividend, but uses the income generated by its underlying shares to buy more of said shares. This will result in the ETF's share price/NAV increasing over time. So if ES3 was an accumulating ETF, perhaps I would now have 5000 shares of ES3 worth $5.
So sticking to this example, had ES3 been an accumulating ETF, gone up to $5, and round trips back to $2.60, won't I be back to square one? And thus, wouldn't a dividend paying ETF be better? For example, theoretically, I could have increased my shares of ES3 from 5000 to 7000, bought other shares, etc.
Unless I am mistaken and an accumulating ETF works like REITs and their scrip dividend scheme where the amount of ETF shares increases over time (in lieu of dividends). But I doubt this is the case based on what I have read online.
Grateful much and huge thanks in advance, again!