[Official] SingTel SIM Only Plans

maumu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2000
Messages
11,845
Reaction score
2,778
Also double-check your settings if your phone has the "allow data switching" feature. Not sure if that also works while roaming, but better safe than sorry.
I don't have this "allow data switching" feature on my Android (Honor)... but I have this "Call forwarding between SIMs" (When a SIM is unvailable, forward incoming calls to the other SIM.)

So let's say my main SIM is SingTel SIM-only and my second SIM is eight/SIMBA with free voice roaming, will I get charged by SingTel if someone call my SingTel number and it is forwarded to my eight/SIMBA number while I am overseas?
 

tohchr

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2004
Messages
13,839
Reaction score
2,285
I don't have this "allow data switching" feature on my Android (Honor)... but I have this "Call forwarding between SIMs" (When a SIM is unvailable, forward incoming calls to the other SIM.)

So let's say my main SIM is SingTel SIM-only and my second SIM is eight/SIMBA with free voice roaming, will I get charged by SingTel if someone call my SingTel number and it is forwarded to my eight/SIMBA number while I am overseas?
This is what I usually do, no additional charges, tested by me.
Before plane took off, forward all my Singtel calls to Simba. Go to settings and TURN OFF Singtel line. Leave only SIMBA line active. Come back SG, then I turn ON my Singtel line and cancel the call forwarding.

Do not turn on Singtel line while in Overseas, because the line might detect you are Overseas and the forwarding become IDD forwarding.
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,557
Reaction score
12,384
This is what I usually do, no additional charges, tested by me.
Before plane took off, forward all my Singtel calls to Simba. Go to settings and TURN OFF Singtel line. Leave only SIMBA line active. Come back SG, then I turn ON my Singtel line and cancel the call forwarding.

Do not turn on Singtel line while in Overseas, because the line might detect you are Overseas and the forwarding become IDD forwarding.

The problem with this way is that you will not get the free roaming incoming SMS.

Apple iOS may have SMS/iMessage forwarding option, but not for Android.

In the end, I just do the following and no issues so far.

1) enable the default Auto Subscription to ReadyRoam

2) disable data roaming on the phone

3) ignore voice calls.

4) use another line for roaming data.

I have used the following for roaming data last time.
a) local SIM Card
b) StarHub prepaid roaming data
c) eight/SIMBA/CUniq and giga data eSIM for recent trip to China.
d) SingTel Mobile roaming for business trips when I got the company phone last time. From there I knew how expensive it was to have a call on the phone either using roaming data or roaming voice calls.
 
Last edited:

skazzz

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2011
Messages
1,393
Reaction score
192
I don't have this "allow data switching" feature on my Android (Honor)... but I have this "Call forwarding between SIMs" (When a SIM is unvailable, forward incoming calls to the other SIM.)

So let's say my main SIM is SingTel SIM-only and my second SIM is eight/SIMBA with free voice roaming, will I get charged by SingTel if someone call my SingTel number and it is forwarded to my eight/SIMBA number while I am overseas?

No charged

This information was provided in the below link.

For Singapore-to-Singapore call forwarding, both the forwarded call from number A to B and the received call are treated as local calls.
Since with free incoming calls during roaming, this approach works 100%.

Regarding your question in the previous thread: if voice roaming is unavailable but there is network coverage, SMS will function normally. The issue with IDD forwarding will not affect you since voice roaming is not enabled in the first place.


https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...-singtel-mvno.6647818/page-544#post-158230897
 
Last edited:

skazzz

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2011
Messages
1,393
Reaction score
192
Do not turn on Singtel line while in Overseas, because the line might detect you are Overseas and the forwarding become IDD forwarding.

I checked with AI on this matter — it’s a valid point to raise, but too risky to attempt.
 

tohchr

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2004
Messages
13,839
Reaction score
2,285
The problem with this way is that you will not get the free roaming incoming SMS.

Apple iOS may have SMS/iMessage forwarding option, but not for Android.

In the end, I just do the following and no issues so far.

1) enable the default Auto Subscription to ReadyRoam

2) disable data roaming on the phone

3) ignore voice calls.

4) use another line for roaming data.

I have used the following for roaming data last time.
a) local SIM Card
b) StarHub prepaid roaming data
c) eight/SIMBA/CUniq and giga data eSIM for recent trip to China.
d) SingTel Mobile roaming for business trips when I got the company phone last time. From there I knew how expensive it was to have a teleconference on the phone either using roaming data or roaming voice calls.
Yup, con is you can't receive sms..
 

froztheart

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2012
Messages
9,635
Reaction score
4,212
This is what I usually do, no additional charges, tested by me.
Before plane took off, forward all my Singtel calls to Simba. Go to settings and TURN OFF Singtel line. Leave only SIMBA line active. Come back SG, then I turn ON my Singtel line and cancel the call forwarding.

Do not turn on Singtel line while in Overseas, because the line might detect you are Overseas and the forwarding become IDD forwarding.
Yup, don't get charged cause you turn it off entirely for your ST and setup fowarding. But can't receive SMS if you need for banking etc. but nowadays most no longer utilising SMS OTP MFA.
IIRC will get charged if incoming while roaming.
 

maumu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2000
Messages
11,845
Reaction score
2,778
...
IIRC will get charged if incoming while roaming.
do you mean will get charged for incoming SMS while roaming, or incoming calls while roaming?

I thought most incoming SMS while roaming is free? e.g. receiving bank OTP when I'm overseas while on a different network roaming partner (e.g. Maxis Malaysia).
 

froztheart

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2012
Messages
9,635
Reaction score
4,212
do you mean will get charged for incoming SMS while roaming, or incoming calls while roaming?

I thought most incoming SMS while roaming is free? e.g. receiving bank OTP when I'm overseas while on a different network roaming partner (e.g. Maxis Malaysia).
Sorry, charged for incoming calls while roaming.
Incoming SMS definitely not an issue.
 

uncle_josh

Master Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2018
Messages
3,132
Reaction score
773
thanks. I won't unsubscribe then. will leave it (default). initially I was worried it'll auto subscribe once it detects the overseas network, but thanks to your sharing of the TnC, it'll only be activated / auto-subscribed if there's roaming data detected.

don't itchy hand toggle the data roaming to be ON in my phone setting can liao.
see lah, backside itchy change from Starhhub to Singtel.
Starhub no contract and unlimited roaming calls & sms.
From-unlimited-5G-to-global-roaming-we-got-you.png
 

maumu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2000
Messages
11,845
Reaction score
2,778
see lah, backside itchy change from Starhhub to Singtel.
Starhub no contract and unlimited roaming calls & sms.
From-unlimited-5G-to-global-roaming-we-got-you.png
dunno why you're here to promote SH when it's a ST thread. if you're referring to me porting out from SH Prepaid, it's because I've never intended to stay on SH all along. M1 as well. I've always preferred ST or ST MVNOs.

anyway... 95% of the time I'm in SG so I'm not particular about roaming. at most like some have suggested, I'll get another SIM from eight or SIMBA for roaming calls by call-forwarding.
 

mahler_qs

Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2008
Messages
184
Reaction score
123
The problem with this way is that you will not get the free roaming incoming SMS.

Apple iOS may have SMS/iMessage forwarding option, but not for Android.

In the end, I just do the following and no issues so far.

1) enable the default Auto Subscription to ReadyRoam

2) disable data roaming on the phone

3) ignore voice calls.

4) use another line for roaming data.

I have used the following for roaming data last time.
a) local SIM Card
b) StarHub prepaid roaming data
c) eight/SIMBA/CUniq and giga data eSIM for recent trip to China.
d) SingTel Mobile roaming for business trips when I got the company phone last time. From there I knew how expensive it was to have a call on the phone either using roaming data or roaming voice calls.
Just to check - not answering the call means we won’t get charge, ie just let the phone ring thru?
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,557
Reaction score
12,384
Just to check - not answering the call means we won’t get charge, ie just let the phone ring thru?

In most cases you will not get charged.

On the other hand, the roaming partner networks are complicated, there may be corner cases that you will still get charged.

Recent report from Zym thread.
Hi quick question,

I was being charged while overseas for 2 missed calls. $5 each.
Both times i let the call "ring" finish and didnt reject at all. iPhone live voicemail + call forwarding are off.

So i dunno why i am being charged. Asked zym whatsapp, tell me no wavied due to legit charges. (abit nonsense imo)

So now. If same thing occur when i am overseas, should i REJECT the call?
Some stated online Reject will incur charges (hence i let the call "ring" finish)

Yup I sent SS of both called indicating clearly they are MISSED calls. Still they said cant be waived.


Hence should i just reject the calls while overseas in the future? Can i do that or still considered valid roaming call.

That is strange, no idea then.

Reject the call -- usually no charge if using VoLTE, got charges if the roaming network is not using VoLTE but using CSFB Fallback (Circuit Switched Fallback). This is what I learnt from the reports in Reddit.

Ignore the call -- by right there will usually be no charges. But if the roaming network does not support VoLTE but using CSFB Fallback (Circuit Switched Fallback), you might still get charged.

No idea why you still got the charges. Which place do you go? Are the roaming network supporting VoLTE?

Make sure you also turn off iPhone "Call Screening". I understand that you have already turn off live voicemail.

I had three valid voice calls during my short trip to China in December with my SingTel SIM Only main line (data roaming disabled on the phone). I ignored two of the calls. But I forgot and rejected the third call. Then I used SIMBA/eight to call back.

I was not charged for all three calls. The roaming network (China Mobile 5G NSA or 4G LTE) supports VoLTE.
 

jtec14

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2001
Messages
9,025
Reaction score
695
Same here, data roaming off in app, in China now, having problems connecting to their local partners.

Haven't try turning on but don't understand why they need data roaming just for calls and smses
So my latest bill showed my wife line incurred $0.31 for data roaming in China while mine nothing. This is after activating data roaming in mysingtel app but disabled in phones for both our lines.

Not sure what happened, but small amount so lazy to check with CSO.
 

maumu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2000
Messages
11,845
Reaction score
2,778
So my latest bill showed my wife line incurred $0.31 for data roaming in China while mine nothing. This is after activating data roaming in mysingtel app but disabled in phones for both our lines.

Not sure what happened, but small amount so lazy to check with CSO.
do you mean 'Auto-Subscribe to ReadyRoam' is active when you say "activating data roaming in mySingtel app"?

Or the 'Data Roaming (Network)' is active under the Roaming tab on the app?
 

jtec14

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2001
Messages
9,025
Reaction score
695
do you mean 'Auto-Subscribe to ReadyRoam' is active when you say "activating data roaming in mySingtel app"?

Or the 'Data Roaming (Network)' is active under the Roaming tab on the app?
The latter, I won't be able to connect to their local partners' network for calls and smses if i switch off even though no intention to use their data roaming. Phones side disabled data roaming on the sim.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top