Official Xperia Z Thread

otaconawesome

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2009
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Just wanna vent out my frustration regarding my phone this year...

I bought it around March 2013, and really pushed to the limit with pool dips and "showering sessions" regularly. 2 months in, I realized it was suffering from the "black pixels" problem on the camera sensor. Didn't notice it cos the shutter/settings icons were blocking it. I sent the phone to the service centre and luckily had a 1-to-1 exchange within 2 days.

The rubber seals for the micro USB and headphone jack got loose before December, which was really shocking, but I didn't think much of it. One day, I got caught in really heavy rain while cycling. I was completely soaked, and so was my phone (despite all ports sealed). Was really saddened to see that water had penetrated it and fogged up my camera. On top of that, the battery life became horrendous (1% loss per minute without even doing anything) and it heated up very quickly. Sent it for repair, and the service centre said it'll be done within 3-5 working days. But in the end, I had to wait 2 whole weeks for it to be done. Luckily though, it was done for free (and updated to 4.3). That was in January.

Just yesterday, my phone was exposed to water again. I was confident it would be alright, as Sony had given my phone a new front panel, port seals and replacement chassis (that glass fibre polyamide thing). To my horror, when I wiped my phone dry, the screen wouldn't respond. It was bright and normal-looking, but it just wouldn't respond to my touch at all. I had to do a hard reset a couple times to confirm, and put it inside a bag of rice overnight.

This morning, the phone finally turned on and was responsive. However, I noticed that the battery was draining quite fast (again), and there was a translucent diagonal line across the screen. On my way to the service centre, the rear camera started fogging up, and the phone heated up quickly as well. Then the power button refused to respond. Had to set the screen timeout to 15 sec for the screen to power off by itself.

Brought it to Bishan, and the person attending to me did some checks. Shockingly, the moisture indicator on the SIM card slot was pink. I have sealed all ports prior to this, and the SIM card area has never been opened since collecting the phone in January. The person assured me this time it'll take 3 days to fully diagnose the problem and do the necessary repairs. He also chopped an "URGENT" stamp on the problems sheet (hopefully this will hurry them up). I'm now stuck with a K810i provided by them for 3 days...

I'm just infuriated that after a lengthy 2-week wait, my supposedly repaired phone can't even withstand a bit of water. They really need to up their QC during repairs. I count myself lucky that this happened while I'm not so busy. Imagine using the phone during vacation with the family near some beach/pool, and this happens. All your treasured memories will be gone...
And to think that your water-resistant phone has been defeated by water.

/rant
 

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2004
Messages
14,804
Reaction score
221
@otaconawesome. Your situation is exactly the same as mine...
I also bought my set in March 2013. One fine day in Sep 2013, it suddenly froze. Sent to service centre, took almost 3 weeks to come back. I was told that the motherboard was burnt out. I questioned why such error, but they say no answer...

Sometime last week, my hands "itchy" gave my phone a wash. I was very very certain I checked and made sure all the flaps are sealed tight. It was a quick wash in the water with light detergent. Then I had the same water on camera problem. To keep things short, NO MORE WASHING. I am not trusting such marketing gimmick anymore...
 

studmufn

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2004
Messages
8,697
Reaction score
1
any reason why you kept getting your phone wet? i know that it's supposedly waterproof, but it's after a piece of electronics and i wouldn't 'test' the waterproof-ness unless really necessary..

Just wanna vent out my frustration regarding my phone this year...

I bought it around March 2013, and really pushed to the limit with pool dips and "showering sessions" regularly. 2 months in, I realized it was suffering from the "black pixels" problem on the camera sensor. Didn't notice it cos the shutter/settings icons were blocking it. I sent the phone to the service centre and luckily had a 1-to-1 exchange within 2 days.

The rubber seals for the micro USB and headphone jack got loose before December, which was really shocking, but I didn't think much of it. One day, I got caught in really heavy rain while cycling. I was completely soaked, and so was my phone (despite all ports sealed). Was really saddened to see that water had penetrated it and fogged up my camera. On top of that, the battery life became horrendous (1% loss per minute without even doing anything) and it heated up very quickly. Sent it for repair, and the service centre said it'll be done within 3-5 working days. But in the end, I had to wait 2 whole weeks for it to be done. Luckily though, it was done for free (and updated to 4.3). That was in January.

Just yesterday, my phone was exposed to water again. I was confident it would be alright, as Sony had given my phone a new front panel, port seals and replacement chassis (that glass fibre polyamide thing). To my horror, when I wiped my phone dry, the screen wouldn't respond. It was bright and normal-looking, but it just wouldn't respond to my touch at all. I had to do a hard reset a couple times to confirm, and put it inside a bag of rice overnight.

This morning, the phone finally turned on and was responsive. However, I noticed that the battery was draining quite fast (again), and there was a translucent diagonal line across the screen. On my way to the service centre, the rear camera started fogging up, and the phone heated up quickly as well. Then the power button refused to respond. Had to set the screen timeout to 15 sec for the screen to power off by itself.

Brought it to Bishan, and the person attending to me did some checks. Shockingly, the moisture indicator on the SIM card slot was pink. I have sealed all ports prior to this, and the SIM card area has never been opened since collecting the phone in January. The person assured me this time it'll take 3 days to fully diagnose the problem and do the necessary repairs. He also chopped an "URGENT" stamp on the problems sheet (hopefully this will hurry them up). I'm now stuck with a K810i provided by them for 3 days...

I'm just infuriated that after a lengthy 2-week wait, my supposedly repaired phone can't even withstand a bit of water. They really need to up their QC during repairs. I count myself lucky that this happened while I'm not so busy. Imagine using the phone during vacation with the family near some beach/pool, and this happens. All your treasured memories will be gone...
And to think that your water-resistant phone has been defeated by water.

/rant
 

otaconawesome

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2009
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
any reason why you kept getting your phone wet? i know that it's supposedly waterproof, but it's after a piece of electronics and i wouldn't 'test' the waterproof-ness unless really necessary..

The first phone's service centre visit was because I was just keen to try out its capabilities. Its only problem, the faulty sensor, was not caused by water.

The second phone's first service centre visit was due to the premature loosening of the rubber seals. It was only affected after water seeped into it when I was caught in the rain cycling outside. Prior to that, I didn't expose the phone to water unnecessarily (e.g in the pool or just washing for the heck of it).

The second service centre visit was due to some dirt and heat from the rear panel. Wanting to clean it up, I gave it a light rinse with clear tepid water (and not even close to 10 seconds). As explained earlier on, I made sure I closed all ports were covered fully.

I'm just stumped that water would enter even after taking all necessary steps to prevent it from entering. To make matters worse, most of the phone body had just been changed with new parts, so why is there still leakage?
 
Last edited:

bigbadber

Banned
Joined
Mar 7, 2007
Messages
44,787
Reaction score
2,793
sold my xperia Z just now for $420...

getting Z1 tomolo..for $600..local set 1 year 1 month warranty..worth it boh?



can ask, where did u sell it?

and what was the condition of your phone?

was all the port flaps intact?

or was ur usb port flap spoilt?
 

bigbadber

Banned
Joined
Mar 7, 2007
Messages
44,787
Reaction score
2,793
Help for spoilt flap

Has anyone successfully bought the port flaps on their own and fix repair/replace it themselves yet?

Or is there any shops that repairs it for you?


Apart from Sony service centre which charges $50/$60 to replace one usb port flap
 

bigbadber

Banned
Joined
Mar 7, 2007
Messages
44,787
Reaction score
2,793
online purchase for 4 port flaps

USD9: OEM USB Port + Volume Rocker+Micro SD+ Headphone Jack Port Cover Flap Replacement Parts for Sony Xperia Z Black

USD15: 4pcs New charging USB HDMI micro SD microphone rubber plug cover case for Sony Xperia Z L36 LT36 L36H Free shipping-in Phone Bags & Cases from Electronics on Aliexpress.com



I cant buy from the first link cos I dont hv paypal or western union.

AliExpress I hv account, but its almost double the price.

anyone wanna buy from that witrigs website?
 

1-wind

Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2009
Messages
357
Reaction score
1
Recently, I encountered this bug: the speaker mode is automatically turned on whenever I received a call. Anyone encountered this and any remedy?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top