FTP not Free
As renfred89 mentioned, FTP installation is not free (at least when comparing with the roll out done few years back) - cost is either waived or some other party absorbs the cost so that the end user doesn't have to bear it.
Starting point is NLT (or OpenNet, as it was known as then) was appointed by IMDA to build the infrastructure for NGNBN. The kiasu one's advice was to get the FTP installed even if no intention to take on fibre or still had a long way on current contract for non-fibre broadband/internet - Why? Almost as good as free no need to even sign on fibre plan, might as well quickly grab first - that aside, I thought it was by way of grants or reimbursement claims that residents get it free but I think
a press release in 2008 has the answer:
"To encourage premise owners to connect their homes and businesses to the network, OpenNet is required to waive installation charges for home and building owners when the network first reaches their premises."
my house currently has no FTP installed, made a call to NLT and was told that it's first pass free. They also mentioned that if I booked an appt w them for installation, it'll cost $235, but if I go thru an ISP, it'll be free ?
Dangerous words from that person, especially if one happily goes and subscribe for a plan w/o realising that it'll only be "free" if the service provider is having a promotion to absorb it. That person should have just quoted what's in their
FAQ regarding installation cost:
"If you had sent your installation request through your Retail Service Provider (RSP), the installation charges will be included in the RSP’s invoice to you in the next billing cycle. For more details, you may check with your RSP."
Does this suffice to say that regardless of promotions by ISP, I'll be entitled to free installation as long as I contract fibre w them or does it have to be stated clearly like on MR (free FTP installation)?
Thanks
That assertion would have been somewhat true 4 to 6 years ago during the initial roll-out. Those that had an appointment for installation but cancelled it were were charged a "fibre cancellation fee" of similar quantum -
this still applies today .
From what I know, none of Starhub's ongoing plans waive the cost of FTP installation (think 1+ year ago was the last time I saw any promotion relating to FTP) - activation costs and installation costs (by StarHub) are waived for certain existing plans though.
As for M1's ongoing plans, the proposed address for installation must be:
"NGNBN fibre-connected... and in addition, the Service Address must have been certified fibre-ready..."
.
I think it's best to factor in the cost of installing the FTP as required, and
be aware of all the other standard one time-charges (registration, installation, activation, transport fee, delivery fee, etc) for the relevant services to be signed up for. Spend a bit more to pull the FTP in to a suitable location even if it results in being more than 15m; get it right from the start rather than headache later on.