Opennet installion - share experience please

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2002
Messages
38,896
Reaction score
251
Should make an FAQ thread on this. I think there are a lot of ppl who are still blur on these minor details

No need think so much la. Just ask when signing up or use their recommended setup, won't go wrong.
 

AT

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,989
Reaction score
3
1) TP>ONT>Router>PC - understood!

2) power supply for ONT (modem) and router - understood!

"i already have a cable connected to my room" - what cable is this bro? connected from the TP to your room?

and IF IF IF i have let's say I have the MIO and Starhub digital setup box, any chances these are going to use fiber too and will 'cause me to shoot myself in the foot, if i place my TP in my bedroom as I would have to lay cables back to the living room, not for internet, but cable tv this time round?

oh gosh.:s22:

If you place the TP in your room, then when the time comes when you want to have future TV features, then you will need to lay a CAT5e/6 cable from your room to the living hall to plug into the set top box to watch those TV content, this is my understanding.
 

ngailoon

Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2000
Messages
301
Reaction score
0
Just had my TP installed this afternoon. The whole process was pretty quick as I reused the existing trunking laid by SCV many years ago.

I asked if those guys doing the fibre splicing could show me how they tested the signal, one guy just showed me the red light emitting from the TP and said those written figures on the service report are "very good" :s8: Guess I'll have to take their word for it.
 

ideatalk

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2007
Messages
1,595
Reaction score
0
Just had my TP installed this afternoon. The whole process was pretty quick as I reused the existing trunking laid by SCV many years ago.

I asked if those guys doing the fibre splicing could show me how they tested the signal, one guy just showed me the red light emitting from the TP and said those written figures on the service report are "very good" :s8: Guess I'll have to take their word for it.

great,,,, later u can check with opennet if your hse is "home reached"
if yes, then u can chiong during next week IT show,,,,
 

Maserati

Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2002
Messages
383
Reaction score
7
Hi just to have a bit more understanding

||
[TP] -----Done by open net contractors
||
[ONT] ------Done by service providers (either nucleus or singtel)
||
[RG] ------ Can be rented from service provider or bought dependent on service provider


So for installation of TP I have to be only concern about where the TP is going to be placed.

Does the TP really requires power supply?
The connection of TP to ONT is RJ45 ?
ONT requires power supply right?

Thanks
 

AT

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,989
Reaction score
3
Does the TP really requires power supply?------> No
The connection of TP to ONT is RJ45 ?---------->No it is Fibre
ONT requires power supply right?---------------> Yes

Hi just to have a bit more understanding

||
[TP] -----Done by open net contractors
||
[ONT] ------Done by service providers (either nucleus or singtel)
||
[RG] ------ Can be rented from service provider or bought dependent on service provider


So for installation of TP I have to be only concern about where the TP is going to be placed.

Does the TP really requires power supply?------> No
The connection of TP to ONT is RJ45 ?---------->No it is Fibre
ONT requires power supply right?---------------> Yes

Thanks
 

best-h

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2007
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
one quick question, when was your installation by opennet done up? is it accurate according to info on opennet website? My location was listed to be Feb2011 but till now no news... make me unable to sign up or fiber plans....
 

saffie730

Banned
Joined
Jan 17, 2011
Messages
382
Reaction score
0
one quick question, when was your installation by opennet done up? is it accurate according to info on opennet website? My location was listed to be Feb2011 but till now no news... make me unable to sign up or fiber plans....

My area just Installed last week.I am now awaiting for Opennet backend to update the CDR.
 

Aaelexr

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2010
Messages
2,401
Reaction score
0
one quick question, when was your installation by opennet done up? is it accurate according to info on opennet website? My location was listed to be Feb2011 but till now no news... make me unable to sign up or fiber plans....

mine originally listed feb 2011 too, then i thought i never receive the letter was damn panic.. then only last few days of feb ( i think ) or first few days of march, i received the letter asking me to sign up and the date stated at the top was 1 February 2011 , so i think it is just singpost delaying the mail or it was delivered wrongly or opennet maybe gonna postpone your installation till other dates .
 

ideatalk

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2007
Messages
1,595
Reaction score
0
one quick question, when was your installation by opennet done up? is it accurate according to info on opennet website? My location was listed to be Feb2011 but till now no news... make me unable to sign up or fiber plans....

call opennet.... most likely they will send u letter end of this month or next month
 

Revuelto

Master Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2001
Messages
4,030
Reaction score
816
call opennet.... most likely they will send u letter end of this month or next month

Ya just call opennet and and ask for the letter. My neighbor received the letter and not me. I gave opennet a call, immediately the CSO arranged the appointment w/o having me to wait for the letter... and 3 days later install the TP liao...
 

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2005
Messages
6,089
Reaction score
0
Ya just call opennet and and ask for the letter. My neighbor received the letter and not me. I gave opennet a call, immediately the CSO arranged the appointment w/o having me to wait for the letter... and 3 days later install the TP liao...

becos jus nice they r preparing the letter..;)
 

ideatalk

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2007
Messages
1,595
Reaction score
0
Ya just call opennet and and ask for the letter. My neighbor received the letter and not me. I gave opennet a call, immediately the CSO arranged the appointment w/o having me to wait for the letter... and 3 days later install the TP liao...

so plan how u want the TP to be installed........also whether u need help to move any heavy furniture......
 

revenant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
14,420
Reaction score
5
Just called up M1 saying my house not ready though Opennet web site states its ready.
 

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2000
Messages
63,216
Reaction score
1
I booked the installation date for April. Just one question. So they will be doing the point in the living room but now my computer is in my room and I am not using wireless, so I need another point in my room right?
 

seeyourhead_jiejie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2007
Messages
13,104
Reaction score
0
I booked the installation date for April. Just one question. So they will be doing the point in the living room but now my computer is in my room and I am not using wireless, so I need another point in my room right?

u can chose where u wan to put the point ma. can put inside ur room if u wan.
if not just pull a LAN cable into ur room lor.
 

ideatalk

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2007
Messages
1,595
Reaction score
0
I booked the installation date for April. Just one question. So they will be doing the point in the living room but now my computer is in my room and I am not using wireless, so I need another point in my room right?

i installed my TP in the living room and later will pull a lan cable and place the RG in my room
 

NWT1978

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2001
Messages
18,789
Reaction score
29
so far my block has been quiet...

it could all waiting for last min fixing or ignore the free ones...

as it cant be waiting to see who done first and see how the svc like... lol

so far saw only one unit doing today... at least the cable is made in Taiwan... not c... =:p
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top