PRISM+ TV Discussion Thread

abstrax

Reaction score
According to Prism+ the new Pro models has improved Quantum colours technology, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos and far field voice control which allows you to say Hi Google instead of needing the Google Assistance button on the remote.
What is Quantum IPS? is it same as QLED from other brand?

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got the Q65 QE. I must say im not impressed with the build quality and picture quality. Overall its still ok but no match for samsung and sony display quality. You pay for what you get.

I had the Q55QE & Q65QE, can't say much due to the price.. at least if game over after 3 years I am still ok.. Quite satisfied with their onsite repair, quite fast, usually within 1 to 2 working days.
is it because Prism+ is using IPS panel? My Samsung is using VA panel, which suppose to be better (high end Samsung TVs).

Any idea what panel manufacturer is Prism+ using? LG or Samsung?

sonic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
is it because Prism+ is using IPS panel? My Samsung is using VA panel, which suppose to be better (high end Samsung TVs).

LG panel? Think I saw stated at somewhere before.. Now Mewatch available for download in Prism Android TV.

weeza77

Reaction score

I believe Prism+ tvs are Skyworth OEMs.

d1enonly

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just recently bought a Prism+ TV Q65-QE. I've been using it for a while now.

But I notice this very weird issue with HDR. we all know that prism+ TV widely do advertise its specs as HDR.
I tried watching HDR content on disney+ and netflix using its built-in android TV app.

all 4K HDR content looks pale, looks so dark and sometimes its already watchable

I thought it could be the brightness settings but everything seems okay, I tried some other content on disney+ and netflix that is mark as HD. Surprisingly the visuals are WAY More watchable, Clear. A night and day difference.

so i had to isolate to see what is wrong. i bought an GCCw/TV hub. the new version and it works fine.

Does anyone notice these issues on your Prism+ , i called getting support today but there had been no productive response other than saying they escalate their case on their TV team.

Hopefully someone from here can share their experiences.

Thank you in advance!

Kepller

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

But I notice this very weird issue with HDR. we all know that prism+ TV widely do advertise its specs as HDR.
I tried watching HDR content on disney+ and netflix using its built-in android TV app.

all 4K HDR content looks pale, looks so dark and sometimes its already watchable

I thought it could be the brightness settings but everything seems okay, I tried some other content on disney+ and netflix that is mark as HD. Surprisingly the visuals are WAY More watchable, Clear. A night and day difference.

so i had to isolate to see what is wrong. i bought an GCCw/TV hub. the new version and it works fine.

Does anyone notice these issues on your Prism+ , i called getting support today but there had been no productive response other than saying they escalate their case on their TV team.

Thank you in advance!
The entire lineup of Prism+ do not have local dimming system, as such it is safe assumption that all their TVs will be hovering around 200-400 nits of brightness as we've seen in TVs without local dimming systems.
Here's an example of an IPS TV without local dimming system (similar setup as seen in prism TVs):
We can see that brightness is just moderately enough for SDR and clearly insufficient for HDR.

This is insufficient for HDR as it requires at least 700 nits to make bright highlights pop. Additionally the entire Prism line up are equipped with IPS panel which suffers from poor contrast ratio as they hover around 700:1 - 1200:1 while TVs with VA Panels can have anywhere from 3000:1 - 7000:1. This means that VA panels can display on average 4x more deeper blacks and dark saturated colors than IPS panels. IPS panels will look washed out/hazy in comparison to a TV with a VA panel.

If you are serious about HDR, get a TV with a VA panel and Full-Array Local Dimming System. These 2 are the minimum must have.

Keep in mind that when we talk about brightness, its basically how bright a TV can be in various scenes. Some scenes in movies or other content will be dark with a small portion of the screen being lit up to 1000 nits (a scenario where a character uses a candle in a dark room or a scene depicting a campfire at night in a forest). To be able to brighten just that small area of the screen where the bright object is while keeping the rest of the screen dark and rich in color, the screen needs to have a local dimming system which can control the backlight individually. All current Prism TVs as advertised are direct/edge lit without local dimming (its backlighting system cannot individually dim the LEDs behind the panel). It is impossible to go over 400-500 nits on a TV without local dimming as that would mean brightening even the dark areas of the content resulting in raised black levels to an intolerable extent, making all the dark colors look faded/washed out.

Do not be fooled by the advertisements as they can claim anything without evidence. Trust reputable reviewers with actual calibration tools who gives unbias feedback an actual data to back their claims.

Reviewers such as RTINGS can be trusted for their data as they have already measured more than 300 TVs from major brands with a consistent test methodology: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews

Refer here for a more detailed feedback on why VA instead of IPS: https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/sian-tv-spolit.6508207/

Last edited:

boxerfan

Reaction score
Kind of interesting. On their website, the 86” tech specs they list the brightness at 490. The Q65–QE, the brightness spec is *omitted*. Very very interesting.

Without sufficient brightness, how to display HDR?

OP probably witnessing white crush when watching HDR because of panel limitations.

d1enonly

Reaction score
The entire lineup of Prism+ do not have local dimming system, as such it is safe assumption that all their TVs will be hovering around 200-400 nits of brightness as we've seen in TVs without local dimming systems.
Here's an example of an IPS TV without local dimming system (similar setup as seen in prism TVs):

We can see that brightness is just moderately enough for SDR and clearly insufficient for HDR.

This is insufficient for HDR as it requires at least 700 nits to make bright highlights pop. Additionally the entire Prism line up are equipped with IPS panel which suffers from poor contrast ratio as they hover around 700:1 - 1200:1 while TVs with VA Panels can have anywhere from 3000:1 - 7000:1. This means that VA panels can display on average 4x more deeper blacks and dark saturated colors than IPS panels. IPS panels will look washed out/hazy in comparison to a TV with a VA panel.

If you are serious about HDR, get a TV with a VA panel and Full-Array Local Dimming System. These 2 are the minimum must have.

Keep in mind that when we talk about brightness, its basically how bright a TV can be in various scenes. Some scenes in movies or other content will be dark with a small portion of the screen being lit up to 1000 nits (a scenario where a character uses a candle in a dark room or a scene depicting a campfire at night in a forest). To be able to brighten just that small area of the screen where the bright object is while keeping the rest of the screen dark and rich in color, the screen needs to have a local dimming system which can control the backlight individually. All current Prism TVs as advertised are direct/edge lit without local dimming (its backlighting system cannot individually dim the LEDs behind the panel). It is impossible to go over 400-500 nits on a TV without local dimming as that would mean brightening even the dark areas of the content resulting in raised black levels to an intolerable extent, making all the dark colors look faded/washed out.

Do not be fooled by the advertisements as they can claim anything without evidence. Trust reputable reviewers with actual calibration tools who gives unbias feedback an actual data to back their claims.

Reviewers such as RTINGS can be trusted for their data as they have already measured more than 300 TVs from major brands with a consistent test methodology:

Refer here for a more detailed feedback on why VA instead of IPS:
Thank you so much for the response. I did raise the issue with support and they informed that i should send a video of the issue.

So it is really due to the so called "local dimming?

d1enonly

Reaction score
i just saw they have new models posted on the website. I hope this is not a marketing trick. i really have high hopes because its a local brand.

i wonder if they can see this post.

Kepller

Reaction score
i just saw they have new models posted on the website. I hope this is not a marketing trick. i really have high hopes because its a local brand.

i wonder if they can see this post.
Unfortunately their new models are the same, IPS panels without any local dimming system. If your issue is with its HDR performance I doubt they'll be able to resolve it due to hardware limitation like boxerfan has also stated.

Last edited:

abstrax

Reaction score
Unfortunately their new models are the same, IPS panels without any local dimming system. If your issue is with its HDR performance I doubt they'll be able to resolve it due to hardware limitation like boxerfan has also stated.
I was lucky enuff to choose Samsung over Prism+. I was comparing this 2 brands b4 making the purchase. So I think I made the right choice.

weeza77

Reaction score
I was lucky enuff to choose Samsung over Prism+. I was comparing this 2 brands b4 making the purchase. So I think I made the right choice.
Which Samsung model did you get and how much did it cost?

abstrax

Reaction score
Which Samsung model did you get and how much did it cost?
Just got 82Q60R.....within my own budget....$2.8k(including swivel mount install)

Went to see the demo set at Courts yesterday....it is very huge....shiok!!!!
Can't wait to see it inside my room...

jq75

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Just got 82Q60R.....within my own budget....$2.8k(including swivel mount install)

Went to see the demo set at Courts yesterday....it is very huge....shiok!!!!
Can't wait to see it inside my room...
woah 82" :eek:

abstrax

Reaction score
It is very shiok to have such a big screen in my bedroom....is like watching "live"

not sure it is a trend that to all the consumers.....as for me, I been upgrading my tv from CRT to LCD
32" to 46" to 50" and now to 82"

I been thinking to get a 65" one and has been comparing the spec and price. It is quite a big jump from 50" to 82" since the price is worth it. Tested a few days and never spot any dead pixels... and of coz the color is much brilliant and vibrant as compared to my old 50" philips lcd tv.

very satisfied to get this model after comparing with Prism+ Q85QE....

Madsncakes

Reaction score
I tested the Q, Qe and Qe Pro from Prism+ side by side.

I'm not a professional reviewer but that's the whole point. Because when I put it side by side. It's obvious the Prism Qe Series has too much red, blue and considerably darker contrast. Eg. My skin tone is yellowish brown but I appeared more orange. It lacks the option to adjust RGB individually.

Both Qe and Qe Pro needs calibration. My detailed demo here. Click the timestamps to fast forward.

The old Prism Q was a decent priced TV and brighter! I also like the memc support in Q which is taken out of Qe series.

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I tested the Q, Qe and Qe Pro from Prism+ side by side.

I'm not a professional reviewer but that's the whole point. Because when I put it side by side. It's obvious the Prism Qe Series has too much red, blue and considerably darker contrast. Eg. My skin tone is yellowish brown but I appeared more orange. It lacks the option to adjust RGB individually.

Both Qe and Qe Pro needs calibration. My detailed demo here. Click the timestamps to fast forward.

The old Prism Q was a decent priced TV and brighter! I also like the memc support in Q which is taken out of Qe series.
Your video was very helpful! :s12:
Was actually considering between the Q55 QE and Mi TV P1 55" as both are priced very similarly, but decided on the Mi TV P1 after watching your video as the PQ is the deal-breaker.

klhlasnp_reborn

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Thank you in advance!
I am having same issue as you. On top of that I noticed the fonts and subtitle are not sharp in Netflix, even the fonts at HOME screen not sharp, is that normal?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.