[Recommend] Good Mechanical Keyboard

Flying_Chair

Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2004
Messages
296
Reaction score
2
I've some questions on RK860 with hot swappable switches, can any bros here help?

If I want to change switches on the RK860, what switches can I use?
I searched abit, seems like it can fit switches with 5pin and north facing LEDs only?
If I'm not wrong, 3 pin can fit in 5 pin slots, just not as stable as no plastic feet. North facing led just means the switch is mounted with the LED on top, for south facing PCB the switches would be mounted upside down. If your keycaps are shine through, would be better with north facing as the characters are most likely to be above the led. Don't think they are shine through keycaps for south facing switch unless it comes with the keyboard (e.g. Wormier k66)
 

SkyScraper

Master Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2010
Messages
4,405
Reaction score
80
should have bought from local vendors instead....
I would have. But at that point of time, they dont have color, customization and etc. I was on flex batch too.

slowly i found out other insta local sellers, which was already too late
 

Nuclear Boy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2009
Messages
22,024
Reaction score
11,576
I've some questions on RK860 with hot swappable switches, can any bros here help?

If I want to change switches on the RK860, what switches can I use?
I searched abit, seems like it can fit switches with 5pin and north facing LEDs only?
Main thing to look out when selecting switches is that it can accomodate SMD LEDs, like those mounted on the surface of the board on RK860.
The switch should have a clear cutout in the housing. See left pic, the long open slot on the bottom. Right pic is for through-hole LEDs, note the round cutout on top housing, 4 holes and LED symbol on bottom housing.

Pick something like that one shown in left pic for your RK. Otherwise, not only would the backlight not shine through, your switches will not be fully-seated in the socket, because the SMD LED is in the way. And yes, check the orientation with respect to the legs and slot cutout. The ones shown in the pic can fit, just mount them with the brandname upside down, will fit in socket.

61zhiWxtoIL._AC_SX522_.jpg
Gateron_Milky_Yellow_1024x1024@2x.jpg
 
Last edited:

HexenHeretic

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2010
Messages
1,074
Reaction score
16
Just received my RK860 today, everything feels good so far, doesn't feel as bad as some of the reviewers mentioned, it actually exceeded all my original expectations.
Only thing now is to get used to this 1800 layout.

I'm considering to change the keycaps later on, I'm aware that I need to get a set that has a 1.75U for a SHIFT key and a 1U Numpad0, do I need to take note of anything else?
CherryMX styled keycaps, OEM/SA/NP all can use?
 

jonnyboy91

Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2013
Messages
413
Reaction score
18
Just received my RK860 today, everything feels good so far, doesn't feel as bad as some of the reviewers mentioned, it actually exceeded all my original expectations.
Only thing now is to get used to this 1800 layout.

I'm considering to change the keycaps later on, I'm aware that I need to get a set that has a 1.75U for a SHIFT key and a 1U Numpad0, do I need to take note of anything else?
CherryMX styled keycaps, OEM/SA/NP all can use?
Pretty much any keycap profile will fit just fine. Other then the shift and numpad0, you will also need 1U Alt, Fn and Ctrl. Everything else are standard size keycaps.
 

FroztSpectre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
15,275
Reaction score
197
Keyboard, keycaps, stabilizers are here!

image0.jpg


Time to spend many hours lubing and modding those stabilizers. Lol.
 

hosehbo?

Master Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2010
Messages
4,893
Reaction score
28
Any pudding keycaps or similar keycaps for 84 keys or gmmk pro?

Saw some but most of them don't have the 1.75u right shift or the 1u modifiers keycaps.

And where do you guys go to shop for key caps beside kbdfans or drop?
 

jonnyboy91

Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2013
Messages
413
Reaction score
18
Any pudding keycaps or similar keycaps for 84 keys or gmmk pro?

Saw some but most of them don't have the 1.75u right shift or the 1u modifiers keycaps.

And where do you guys go to shop for key caps beside kbdfans or drop?
For pudding keycaps, you can find them on Aliexpress, taobao or shopee.

Aliexpress 143 keycaps
Official KBDfans store taobao (has white option if you prefer)
Official KBDfans store shopee (has white option if you prefer)

For other keycaps choices, my preference is to get it from taobao. They sell keycap sets that supports more then the standard 108 keys.

Taobao store 1
Taobao store 2
cuxiu Shopee
 

localITguy

Suspended
Joined
Dec 13, 2013
Messages
17,788
Reaction score
1,674
my teaware keyboard just died, out of the blue ( change switch still same)

won't suggest anyone buying this lousy brand. AVOID. not even 6 months and died. throw inside trash bin better
 

entertaint

Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2020
Messages
165
Reaction score
7
Received my RK100 (860 with no RGB?) Soldered MX cherry reds one like almost 2 weeks ago.

I felt satisfied about the keyboard itself as the clicks are not loud enough to annoy me after hours of usage and the build quality quite nice. That being said Idk if I can justify spending extra as even cheapo keyboard can last me 2.5 years back when I was heavily gaming all the time. I don't regret my purchase but will definitely consider throwing that extra money into say a better PC part, chair or other electronic I rely on daily basis.
 

entertaint

Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2020
Messages
165
Reaction score
7
I forgot to mention some stuff

1. As someone who have been using 100% layouts this 96% is weird in the sense that the difference in layout is so small that I don't get used to it just because there are so little instance where you wrongly input command so it's hard to correct it without the intention to. But most of the time you won't make mistake typing from a 100% to a 96%.

2. Not sure if this applies to other 96% keyboards but let's say opening task manager, if I want to press Ctrl alt on the left I actually have to press Ctrl windows del. If I press the right side it's Ctrl alt del and not Ctrl FN del if I follow the direct opposite compared to the left side command. Afaik all my previous keyboards uses Ctrl alt del regardless of the left side or right side Ctrl alt I use.

These are small issue that are easily adaptable though so no issue imo.
 

Nuclear Boy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2009
Messages
22,024
Reaction score
11,576
Just added bottom pc of foam (under PCB) and the one in between plate and PCB for my RK100. Doesn't seem to make a huge difference to me. Probably will still sound slightly hollow since the bottom case is plastic.

Stabs come lubed from factory it seems. I don't think I'll be adding anymore myself. Not sure if I want to clip it too. Does clipping make a big difference in terms of noise?

Now just left with lubing and filming the Gat Yellows that I'll be swapping in.
 

FroztSpectre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
15,275
Reaction score
197
Just added bottom pc of foam (under PCB) and the one in between plate and PCB for my RK100. Doesn't seem to make a huge difference to me. Probably will still sound slightly hollow since the bottom case is plastic.

Stabs come lubed from factory it seems. I don't think I'll be adding anymore myself. Not sure if I want to clip it too. Does clipping make a big difference in terms of noise?

Now just left with lubing and filming the Gat Yellows that I'll be swapping in.
Not really. Just makes it more stable / less wobbly.
 

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2002
Messages
14,856
Reaction score
2,406
Just added bottom pc of foam (under PCB) and the one in between plate and PCB for my RK100. Doesn't seem to make a huge difference to me. Probably will still sound slightly hollow since the bottom case is plastic.

Stabs come lubed from factory it seems. I don't think I'll be adding anymore myself. Not sure if I want to clip it too. Does clipping make a big difference in terms of noise?

Now just left with lubing and filming the Gat Yellows that I'll be swapping in.
Only the switch will make a bigger difference in terms of sound.
Change to silent ones.
 

jonnyboy91

Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2013
Messages
413
Reaction score
18
Just added bottom pc of foam (under PCB) and the one in between plate and PCB for my RK100. Doesn't seem to make a huge difference to me. Probably will still sound slightly hollow since the bottom case is plastic.

Stabs come lubed from factory it seems. I don't think I'll be adding anymore myself. Not sure if I want to clip it too. Does clipping make a big difference in terms of noise?

Now just left with lubing and filming the Gat Yellows that I'll be swapping in.
Honestly, is just good common practice/habit to just clipped them off since is like the easiest and fastest mod for the stabs.
It removes the unnecessary rattly noise you may get when bottoming out.
 

Nuclear Boy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2009
Messages
22,024
Reaction score
11,576
Thanks guys for the tips
@FroztSpectre @jonnyboy91 Guess I shall try it out

@nez Tested with both the factory Browns and my Gat Yellows, though not fully populated. Gats are noticeably quieter for sure, but still has that hollow cavity sound upon bottoming out, esp with Spacebar. I'll have do the full lube deal and populate fully when I'm done to gauge the difference.
 

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2002
Messages
14,856
Reaction score
2,406
Thanks guys for the tips
@FroztSpectre @jonnyboy91 Guess I shall try it out

@nez Tested with both the factory Browns and my Gat Yellows, though not fully populated. Gats are noticeably quieter for sure, but still has that hollow cavity sound upon bottoming out, esp with Spacebar. I'll have do the full lube deal and populate fully when I'm done to gauge the difference.
Oh yeah. I just remembered, plate form made a huge difference in terms of the hollowness. You can try that.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top