FroztSpectre
Arch-Supremacy Member
- Joined
- Dec 7, 2007
- Messages
- 15,275
- Reaction score
- 197
IMO no point getting Cherry MX switches for custom keyboards.Thanks all for the replies. I'm now inclined to get a tkl and a numpad. I'm familiar with taobao too.
What pcb and casing do you all recommend. I'm looking at hotswap ones by kailh.
Is cherry switches still the brand to beat? Also with cherry still need to do lubrication?
Any recommendations of parts, much appreciated!
Part of getting a custom keyboard is that you'll be able to get those unique/better/different switches, other than the standard ones you see in prebuilts.
But it's honestly quite hard to say what you will like, without actually testing those switches. Unless you know of someone who has a switch testing kit, you can only base it on other people's reviews.
And yes, even MX switches need to be lubed if you want it feel/sound better.
If you're lazy to lube switches, you can always pay people on Carousell to do it for you, or buy factory-lubed switches. For example, if you like Tactile switches, you can easily get 36 Glorious Panda switches that are factory-lubed already. It's probably not lubed with the typical Krytox 205g0 / Krytox 105 (For springs), but should work better than unlubed.
Some switches that I've heard of (In no particular order):
Linears:
Gateron Yellow
Gateron Ink Blacks
Alpacas
C3 Tangerines
Tactile:
Holy (Glorious) Panda
Boba U4T
Halo Clear
