[Recommend] Good Mechanical Keyboard

hyperfuse

Master Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2019
Messages
4,380
Reaction score
1,848
Yes, using it stock at the moment.

Q3 construction is abit different from Q1, if you are thinking Q3 inherits the ping from Q1, it doesn’t have it or at least not as bad as Q1.
i did the force break mod but if i tighten the screws, still a little bitty pingy. Had to loosen the screws abit then its fine.

Did tape mod with masking tape and its pretty thocky. Just that with the sound dampener foam in the case, the key sounds abit muted but i guess its fine. no need so loud also better. But best of all no hollow sounding at all.

Overall i like the heavy premium feel of the aluminum case. The keychron Q3 really is a chunky heavy keyboard.
 

Nuclear Boy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2009
Messages
22,064
Reaction score
11,584
Hey guys, anyone dailying a RK100/860 here?

I would turn down the backlight brightness to 'zero' (i.e. off; with Fn+DownArw), but every time I power cycle the board, be it KB on-off or PC shutdown/power-up when wired, the backlight will be back on in full brightness.

Is there any other way to fully turn the LEDs off and keep it that way every time it starts up? It seems like it doesn't keep whatever I've set it to be prior.
 

poooooo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 17, 2012
Messages
12,905
Reaction score
3,390
What's good for gaming? Tactile or linear?
All depends on your preferences. Whether you needs that tactile bump feedback for keys you pressed.

I will pay more attention to the actuation force, 50g are kinda nice balance for me between able to spam the keys and not accidentally pressing keys when my fingers tips are resting on them. Best is to try switches in retail stores hands on to help you decides which switches feels better for you.
 

guile

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
26,183
Reaction score
2,465
All depends on your preferences. Whether you needs that tactile bump feedback for keys you pressed.

I will pay more attention to the actuation force, 50g are kinda nice balance for me between able to spam the keys and not accidentally pressing keys when my fingers tips are resting on them. Best is to try switches in retail stores hands on to help you decides which switches feels better for you.

Thanks for the info. I've been using a normal wireless Logitech Keyboard for years. I think the issue I'm having with it now is that sometimes the keys don't seem to register when I press too many at the same time while gaming. Does that happen with mechanical ones as well?

Is it normal for people to buy one type of mechanical keyboard only to sell it away after a few days/weeks to find its not suitable for them? Or do they just adapt to it? Cos I'm not sure if trying it out at the shop will give the same scenario as how it feels like when trying it at home with the game.
 

poooooo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 17, 2012
Messages
12,905
Reaction score
3,390
Thanks for the info. I've been using a normal wireless Logitech Keyboard for years. I think the issue I'm having with it now is that sometimes the keys don't seem to register when I press too many at the same time while gaming. Does that happen with mechanical ones as well?

Is it normal for people to buy one type of mechanical keyboard only to sell it away after a few days/weeks to find its not suitable for them? Or do they just adapt to it? Cos I'm not sure if trying it out at the shop will give the same scenario as how it feels like when trying it at home with the game.
Switches eventually will degrade over time, but they generally last much much longer than membranes. Unless you get a lemon batch I don't think you have to worry about the longevity.

It's normal to sell after finding the kb is not to your liking. I thought the keychron k2v2 was something I preferred, but couldn't get used to the cramp layout after trying to adapt for months, in the end I bought another one to replace it. Not everyone can adapt.

I would suggest finding a hotswappable kb, you can easily remove the switches and replace with other switches of your preferences. Most importantly do your research and find a layout that you like to begin with, you can't modify a layout once you purchased it.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
What's good for gaming? Tactile or linear?
I agree that it depends on your preference. For me, I am indifferent between the 2, though if given a choice, I have a slight preference for tactile switches as keyboards to me are not just meant for gaming. Perhaps you should try it out.
 

hyperfuse

Master Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2019
Messages
4,380
Reaction score
1,848
Linear if you want a consistent, smooth press, tactile for resistance at some parts when pushing the key down.

I am using tactile.
i am noob in the custom mech keyboard scene.

just bought a keychron q3 earlier. was using gateron pro reds. Saw someone selling gateron phantom browns for cheap so just buy to try.

Not much of a difference as the tactile feeling of the gateron browns cant really be felt especially if one is typing fast and bottoming out. Just that it requires a stronger actuation force to press the keys and noticed that the browns sound abit more deeper(thockier) probably due to the Gateron Phantom brown housing of the switch.

The linear gateron pro reds much smoother and lighter press which is better for gaming. Probably for typing and sound, the gateron browns provide a slight better sound. If i were to purposely want to feel the tactility of the brown switch, i have to press it down slowly to feel the bump, otherwise normal typing, cant really feel as i type pretty fast.

I guess the Boba u4t tactile switches should be much better but i am still noob in this scene, thus dont wanna spend so much just for switches hehe
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,032
Reaction score
8,286
i am noob in the custom mech keyboard scene.

just bought a keychron q3 earlier. was using gateron pro reds. Saw someone selling gateron phantom browns for cheap so just buy to try.

Not much of a difference as the tactile feeling of the gateron browns cant really be felt especially if one is typing fast and bottoming out. Just that it requires a stronger actuation force to press the keys and noticed that the browns sound abit more deeper(thockier) probably due to the Gateron Phantom brown housing of the switch.

The linear gateron pro reds much smoother and lighter press which is better for gaming. Probably for typing and sound, the gateron browns provide a slight better sound. If i were to purposely want to feel the tactility of the brown switch, i have to press it down slowly to feel the bump, otherwise normal typing, cant really feel as i type pretty fast.

I guess the Boba u4t tactile switches should be much better but i am still noob in this scene, thus dont wanna spend so much just for switches hehe

Actually, most switches are okay one, the only one to avoid are vanilla outemu switches, especially if you are fast typer..
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top