[Recommend] Good Mechanical Keyboard

hyperfuse

Master Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2019
Messages
4,380
Reaction score
1,848
【淘宝】https://m.tb.cn/h.gWavBS68xtvt3by?tk=FoVDWvpZEss HU0854 「山居秋暝胡桃木客制化机械键盘水墨国风Gasket结构三模RGB通用」
点击链接直接打开 或者 淘宝搜索直接打开
Thank you.

Anyway my wife help me create my own tb account.. and I link to an alipay account that was initially linked to her tb account.

somehow keep payment fail. But for her account, payment can go thru.

really wierd.
 

SerSiTiv

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
7,738
Reaction score
52
Thank you.

Anyway my wife help me create my own tb account.. and I link to an alipay account that was initially linked to her tb account.

somehow keep payment fail. But for her account, payment can go thru.

really wierd.
Sea ship is free but I would pay for air ship cause it’s like extra 3 bucks but it comes way faster.
 

cesc88

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2009
Messages
526
Reaction score
80
For me the only issue is the smaller "num 0", took a few weeks to get used to it.
This is a good point. I did note that the 0 cap is at an awkward position. Do you still hit the right arrow button accidentally? I think it is difficult to get used to it
 

cesc88

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2009
Messages
526
Reaction score
80
I using the CX-Tech 108. Okay lar not bad for the price I paid for now after I do a few mods and all I feel its
decent lar. My first built, so I don't want to venture too deep into it yet.

I let you judge for yourself my keyboard in the current form:


The choice of the switch was influence by SerSiTiv hahahaha he say KTT wine red will suit me then I go pick the heaviest variant I think from the video you can tell why.

Thanks for your inputs!

Why was it "okay" only? Anything you like or dislike about it?

I noted that the alumninum barebone kit are more expensive. Any reason for it beside aluminum is tougher? Any pros to it, like the sound of typing is more pleasing to the ears?

I think I most probably would get the Akko yellow cream pro v3 switch. I am currently using a Ducky One 2 with cherry red switch. Keycaps I would most probably get an OEM keycaps from Shopee/Lazada which costs approx. $20.
 

poooooo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 17, 2012
Messages
12,905
Reaction score
3,390
This is a good point. I did note that the 0 cap is at an awkward position. Do you still hit the right arrow button accidentally? I think it is difficult to get used to it
I still would hit the right arrow on rare occasions accidentally.
 

SerSiTiv

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
7,738
Reaction score
52
Thanks for your inputs!

Why was it "okay" only? Anything you like or dislike about it?

I noted that the alumninum barebone kit are more expensive. Any reason for it beside aluminum is tougher? Any pros to it, like the sound of typing is more pleasing to the ears?

I think I most probably would get the Akko yellow cream pro v3 switch. I am currently using a Ducky One 2 with cherry red switch. Keycaps I would most probably get an OEM keycaps from Shopee/Lazada which costs approx. $20.
Weight is the important factor for aluminum boards. It feels like you are typing in a solid surface. You also get fuller sound from the board without the hollowness present in plastic boards.

This aluminum board is also gasket mount, compared to tray mount, which gives a more pleasant typing experience.
 

speedknight

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jun 14, 2004
Messages
21,553
Reaction score
552
Thanks for your inputs!

Why was it "okay" only? Anything you like or dislike about it?

I noted that the alumninum barebone kit are more expensive. Any reason for it beside aluminum is tougher? Any pros to it, like the sound of typing is more pleasing to the ears?

I think I most probably would get the Akko yellow cream pro v3 switch. I am currently using a Ducky One 2 with cherry red switch. Keycaps I would most probably get an OEM keycaps from Shopee/Lazada which costs approx. $20.

I think a gasket mount will give a fuller sound to the keyboard. Tray mount is Cheap but it only gets you this far i guess. The burger mount is actually a pseudo gasket mount. Basically I stuffed 2 o-rings one ontop where the tray is to the head of the screw and one on the bottom of it where the stand offs are. I think i damaged abit of the stand offs during my first few attempts, but is still usable. Also with my previous keycaps there were abit of interaction between for example the magnetic top and the spacebar and it can get stuck since with the mods the tray is actually abit higher up. I had to put tape inside the magnetic top as well so that it lifted abit up as well. For the price i paid i am pretty happy with it though.... especially with all the mods you get to try out and the sound profile of the keyboard change that little bit. It's pretty fun. I get this CXtech 108 because of the magnetic top hahaha I have another yellow top
 

arvinsim

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2018
Messages
532
Reaction score
81
Has anyone bought and tried the Keychron Q1 HE?

Wonder if Hall Effect Magnetic switches is just hype or not.
 

SerSiTiv

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
7,738
Reaction score
52
Has anyone bought and tried the Keychron Q1 HE?

Wonder if Hall Effect Magnetic switches is just hype or not.

Hall effect switches more for those who want to control exactly where their key stroke register. But you need a really trained finger to really control the actuation.

Basically if you want to
1) Control when the key stroke registers, e.g. 0.1 mm when depressed it will register.
2) Control the action post register, reset the switch to off state after registering.
3) Use the key for analogue control (depending on how far tou press the key, the action is linear)

If you use the mech boards for typing and everyday use, most probably it's not for you.

If you play games and want precise controls, then it's probably good for you. But do note that this also depends on the configurators you get with the board so I think some are better than others.

With super short travel, most people will bottom out their switches on mech keyboards so most of the time it does not really matter for most to have that precise a control.
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,027
Reaction score
8,286
Has anyone bought and tried the Keychron Q1 HE?

Wonder if Hall Effect Magnetic switches is just hype or not.

no point

hard to find a use case and if you really need such a feature, there are better peripherals for it

it's just a very unnatural feature to use and to have it on something like a keyboard
 

hyperfuse

Master Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2019
Messages
4,380
Reaction score
1,848
Weight is the important factor for aluminum boards. It feels like you are typing in a solid surface. You also get fuller sound from the board without the hollowness present in plastic boards.

This aluminum board is also gasket mount, compared to tray mount, which gives a more pleasant typing experience.
right now i been using an aluminium board, the keychron q3.

But i believe for for the thock sounding of keys, plastic boards provide that more thocky sound after adding in the necessary foam mods compared to Aluminium. of course it depends on the keycaps and switches but somehow i notice plastic boards give off that more thocky sound.

like for example the Aula F75, its plastic, cheap, and comes prebuilt with 5 layers of foam..it sounds good out of the box. saw the pricing can be like only $30+ sgd if buying in taobao with all the coupon codes for first timer haha..

The Aula F75 also has a weight to it according to reviewers due to it coming with all the prebuilt foams and paddings. Of course cannot match with aluminium's weight. But as a user of both plastic and aluminium...to me its just a weight thing. Apart from paying more for the material, other than that, what matters is the board, keys and switches ya. Aluminium boards also have that pinging effect so have to do some mods to clear that pingy sound.

Currently alot of craze for the Aula F75. all over reddit.

An example, see the comments. those who prefer alum boards, tried out the Aula F75 plastic board and was very well please.



Since its so cheap in taobao, i just ordered one with my wife's tb account haha... gotten it in this black colorway.

 
Last edited:

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
125,323
Reaction score
6,584
It's actually good to go down to shops like mecha or landing pad to have a feel on diff type of combinations rather than just follow online reviews.
 

hyperfuse

Master Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2019
Messages
4,380
Reaction score
1,848
It's actually good to go down to shops like mecha or landing pad to have a feel on diff type of combinations rather than just follow online reviews.
yea i know. just lazy thats why just follow online reviews and forums. from the sound test of different youtube videos, wont be so much different. I actually only more interested in the sound, not much of the typing weight/force as those can get used to it esp its linear.

plus the keyboard so darn cheap. so no issues just buying. i think only spend $45 to $50 with shipping.
 

SerSiTiv

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
7,738
Reaction score
52
yea i know. just lazy thats why just follow online reviews and forums. from the sound test of different youtube videos, wont be so much different. I actually only more interested in the sound, not much of the typing weight/force as those can get used to it esp its linear.

plus the keyboard so darn cheap. so no issues just buying. i think only spend $45 to $50 with shipping.

Down the rabbit hole. Foam was introduced by Owlabs, and this brought about the industry standard, and now 90% - 95% of board these days all come with foam by default, you hardly see boards without foam cause its easier for boards to sound "full" with this hack.

I belong to camp clacky, so I prefer the boards that have a slightly higher pitch when typing. I'm not really into the deep sound provided by most foam boards. It's rather pleasant sounding but not really my thing.

In general, there are differences between aluminum boards foamed up vs plastic boards foamed up. I tried injection moulded plastic boards vs CNC plastic boards, the difference is very stark, end of the day it has to do with how solid the material is, coupled with foam you get different acoustics. But it;s all about preference and budget.

Usually the foamless boards are more expensive, as there is more RnD done to get things just right.
 

hyperfuse

Master Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2019
Messages
4,380
Reaction score
1,848
Down the rabbit hole. Foam was introduced by Owlabs, and this brought about the industry standard, and now 90% - 95% of board these days all come with foam by default, you hardly see boards without foam cause its easier for boards to sound "full" with this hack.

I belong to camp clacky, so I prefer the boards that have a slightly higher pitch when typing. I'm not really into the deep sound provided by most foam boards. It's rather pleasant sounding but not really my thing.

In general, there are differences between aluminum boards foamed up vs plastic boards foamed up. I tried injection moulded plastic boards vs CNC plastic boards, the difference is very stark, end of the day it has to do with how solid the material is, coupled with foam you get different acoustics. But it;s all about preference and budget.

Usually the foamless boards are more expensive, as there is more RnD done to get things just right.
yea my preference is the thockier creamier sound.

i do not like the clicky or clack type of sound haha..

anyway looking forward to that Aula K75. Money isnt an issue but its more of value and i find that the Aula board is so damn cheap until i no need to think twice getting it, if it sucks, i can just keep as a spare board when my main board fails.

Right now my Keychron Q3, i also self mod till it gets the poppy marbly sound due to the many pe foam and pads i used.

I am not really much of a keyboard enthusiast, just like nice sounding key presses, so if u ask me about lubing switches etc... too much of a hassle..i did purposely buy lube to resolve the Q3 rattling stablizers but that's it. Didnt lube the other switches.

So as my previous posts, i was looking for a prebuilt nice sounding keyboard and chance upon that Akko Mu01 since i like wood stuff.. only downside its 68 keys which might be troublesome for me as i use the Function keys alot. then saw this Aula K75 and the tremendous value it gives for that price. Cant believe got 3 connectivity modes, sound nice out of the box with no rattle and for a cheap price in Taobao.. thats crazy haha... my Q3 was like $230+ and only wired connection ,with add on switches, wood keycaps, foams etc.
 

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
125,323
Reaction score
6,584
https://vt.tiktok.com/ZSY2PjmpV/

For those who wanna get the Aula F75, only the black sea reef model with gradient keycaps has south facing led, the other models all have north facing leds.

Doesn't matter north or south facing position to be honest. That problem occurs mostly in older KB and switches. With north facing mean you will have issue with cherry profile keycaps (most can't tell). South facing mean lesser rgb glow.
 
Last edited:

hyperfuse

Master Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2019
Messages
4,380
Reaction score
1,848
Doesn't matter north or south facing position to be honest. That problem occurs mostly in older KB and switches. With north facing mean you will have issue with cherry profile keycaps (most can't tell). South facing mean lesser rgb glow.
anyway reason why that black reef has south facing rgb is because the keycaps have south facing engravings, not at the top of the keycaps
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top