[Recommend] Good Mechanical Keyboard

hyperfuse

Master Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2019
Messages
4,380
Reaction score
1,848
Have been crazy about mechanical keyboards all these years but have never tried a custom keyboards (my arsenal consists of Razer/Corsair/Asus). What do you guys think of the Wooting 60HE and Keychron Q5/Pro as a starter custom keyboard? A bit comprehensive of the 60HE due to lack of arrow keys though lol. And I was told Youtube videos their sound tests may not represent how they actually sound when you are typing on it.
Same like you, I always been buying known brands like razer, logitech, corsair.

My first custom was keychron, but as a custom noob, I only just do the normal mods like tape, pe foam, switch pads as those were easy. Didn't lube switches as I find it too troublesome, though I did bought lube but i only lube the stabilizers and switches for them externally, never remove the switches out to lube. But still got some rattly sound here n there.

The custom boards make me look for that nice sounding key presses. When I were using known brands, sound doesn't matter, only aesthetics and how smooth the switches actuate as I game lot last time and used cherry mx speed switches. I will never go back to known brands or those so called gaming boards when custom boards do offer better typing experience, even not gaming boards with utmost low latency, I find it no difference really. A 0.1 ms actuation vs a custom board mechanical switch to me no diff. I play the same haha..

You give a noob the fastest gaming board with hall effect switch vs a decent player with a mechanical board or even a membrane keyboard and the decent player will still outperform the noob
 

rosschang

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
5,124
Reaction score
1,729
I kinda give up on Keychron keyboards. Had two, one normal profile, one ultra slim profile.

the BT is kinda MeH...

the sleep/wakeup -> reconnect bt time is too long.

using a mac, so back to old AA Batt apple keyboard. reconnection time seemless...
 

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2002
Messages
14,844
Reaction score
2,399
I kinda give up on Keychron keyboards. Had two, one normal profile, one ultra slim profile.

the BT is kinda MeH...

the sleep/wakeup -> reconnect bt time is too long.

using a mac, so back to old AA Batt apple keyboard. reconnection time seemless...
My keychron battery bloated after 1 year. Will be my first and last keychron
 
Last edited:

SerSiTiv

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
7,738
Reaction score
52
Have been crazy about mechanical keyboards all these years but have never tried a custom keyboards (my arsenal consists of Razer/Corsair/Asus). What do you guys think of the Wooting 60HE and Keychron Q5/Pro as a starter custom keyboard? A bit comprehensive of the 60HE due to lack of arrow keys though lol. And I was told Youtube videos their sound tests may not represent how they actually sound when you are typing on it.

To be honest the wooting is more if you're looking to customise your key actuation speeds and have analogue control. From sound tests the Hall Effect switches are not really good sounding. You can consider keychron as a starter but there are also tons of other boards that can get you started.

You can consider other boards from less prominent brands who also provide similar or better quality than Keychron IMO. I would recommend Lucky65 if you're looking for a 65%, Bridge75 or Rainy75 if you're looking for a 75%.

Also it depends on the sound profile you prefer, are you more towards having loud keys or keys that are more muted that give a deeper sound.
 

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
125,322
Reaction score
6,583
That's why i bought the MKC65 to replace my Keychron Q2. The MKC65 should be my last KB. I have the Sugar65 but the lack of VIA support is a no for me now. Sugar65 own software is such a memory hog itself.
 

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
125,322
Reaction score
6,583
Thanks bro! I've seen some pre-built ones as I don't think I'm comfortable pulling out keycaps and messing with the keyboard's internals.
Take some time off, go down to Mecha or landingpad or even Mash. These places offer training and testing for free.
 

stanlawj

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2021
Messages
10,278
Reaction score
5,558
Anyone seen this yet? I don't think my wife will approve if she sees this.

Ghost Keyboard Collection: Belle Delphine
https://ghostkeyboards.com/collections/belle-delphine

Belle_Blue_Combo_Final_Persp_Front_V3_df90868e-90fc-4564-a0dd-6ba9ae3a2bf8.webp


 
Last edited:

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,286
Reaction score
420
So what is a reasonably priced 75% TKL style kb with BT5.0 min and similar to mx brown? TB or wherever is ok for me.
 
Last edited:

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,286
Reaction score
420
What is reasonable to you?
<S$200? RGB nt impt, at most keycaps compatibility for some unique keycaps found in TB like those metal type. My current filco majestouch2 got some wireless issue here and there.
 

hyperfuse

Master Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2019
Messages
4,380
Reaction score
1,848
my another set of Aula F75 came, this time with Ice Vein switches. seems more thockier than the Graywood V3 switches.

And same, the stabilizers come prelube with 0 rattle.
 

SerSiTiv

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
7,738
Reaction score
52
<S$200? RGB nt impt, at most keycaps compatibility for some unique keycaps found in TB like those metal type. My current filco majestouch2 got some wireless issue here and there.
I assume the metal keycaps are the artisans. They usually are just MX stems so most of the mechanical boards can utilize them.

I have the Rainy75 which I would recommend cause I personally used it and it good to go right out the box. I bought mine from Ktechs https://ktechs.store/ but they are not the only ones that carry the board. It supports BT, wired and 2.4ghz. You can also config the keys using VIA.

I am also looking out for the Bridge 75 that is coming to Qwertypop Bridge 75.

TKLs are rare, the WOB Crush80 is still not available but I heard Ktechs would be bringing it in.

You can just swap out the switches if you enjoy the feel of browns. I seldom see these prebuilt ones throw in tactiles. Some of the local guys carry the new MX2A Cherry switches (Brown) and well as the MX2A Cherry (Purples) that are the new Cherry molds which are smoother. The purple ones is made in conjunction with Glarses, which were spec by him.

Rainy 75 black - $150
80 cherry purples - $40
Total $190
 

Nuclear Boy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2009
Messages
22,005
Reaction score
11,562
Just wondering, for those of you who have KBs that come with the stabs prelubed...

Did you have to give it a once-over after it starts ticking after some time? If so, how long did it take from start-of-use to the ticking happening on your KB?

Mine started ticking a few months shy of one year into use; so it is now more than a year overdue but I'm a chronic procrastinator and learnt to tune the noise out of my head. :LOL:
 

SerSiTiv

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
7,738
Reaction score
52
Just wondering, for those of you who have KBs that come with the stabs prelubed...

Did you have to give it a once-over after it starts ticking after some time? If so, how long did it take from start-of-use to the ticking happening on your KB?

Mine started ticking a few months shy of one year into use; so it is now more than a year overdue but I'm a chronic procrastinator and learnt to tune the noise out of my head. :LOL:
I think you can just lube it like some would do so. Get a syringe with lube to get it to not rattle.
 

hyperfuse

Master Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2019
Messages
4,380
Reaction score
1,848
Whats-App-Image-2024-06-05-at-14-30-46.jpg

loving it that its so darn cheap and well modded with no key rattle out of the box. i just cant stop recommending haha...
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,286
Reaction score
420
Whats-App-Image-2024-06-05-at-14-30-46.jpg

loving it that its so darn cheap and well modded with no key rattle out of the box. i just cant stop recommending haha...
Do u need to press Fn + any key for certain common functions? Like home, end, pg up, pg down, printscreen?
 

hyperfuse

Master Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2019
Messages
4,380
Reaction score
1,848
Do u need to press Fn + any key for certain common functions? Like home, end, pg up, pg down, printscreen?
All those keys u mention are on these keyboard by default so no need press function key haha..

This is a 75percent board so those keys u mentioned are there.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top