[Recommend] Good Mechanical Keyboard

FroztSpectre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
15,275
Reaction score
197
Swee my Gateron Yellows are here.

Even unlubed sounds and feels good.
Should have went with Gateron Yellows all along :\
 

Nuclear Boy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2009
Messages
21,988
Reaction score
11,568
Swee my Gateron Yellows are here.

Even unlubed sounds and feels good.
Should have went with Gateron Yellows all along :\
I just had it shipped out, looking fwd to both the RK860 and Gat Yellows.

Hopefully I won't procrastinate too long to foam, lube and film them :s13:
 

FroztSpectre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
15,275
Reaction score
197
Wah make me gian to buy a Royal Kludge and swap to Yellows
You can consider getting those sample kits, one switch by one switch ones.
Then test and see which switches you prefer the best.

Won't come cheap though, but good place to start if you want to introduce your friends to custom keyboards LOL.

E.g.
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.5-c-s.w4002-16895560065.35.73badc1a3mGAIC&id=580406711470
O1CN01bYcDlY1amQ9BQphJM_!!134583372.jpg
 

FroztSpectre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
15,275
Reaction score
197
Ever wondered how does a stock stabilizer compared with a modded stabilizers? Here's what i just did.



Enter Key: Outemu Silent Whites
Shift Key: Outemu Silent Grey
Both lubed with Krytox 205g0 and Krytox 105 (for springs)

For both stabs, I've applied Band-aid mod to the plate, as well as the PCB.

Enter Stabilizers: Stem clipped, lubbed with Krytox 205g0. Wire is lubbed with Permatex 22058.
Shift Stabilizers: Stock. Unclipped and unlubed.

Build is incomplete, and the plate and and pcb has not been properly secured together during the making of this video.
 

Nuclear Boy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2009
Messages
21,988
Reaction score
11,568
my rk860 just came. gonna replace the keycaps with the coral one later :))
Same. I just tested it out. Came with RK-branded switches. I misunderstood and presumed it'd come with legit Cherry ones. But given the price, the whole set legit MXs will cost the same as the kb.

Turns out to be really quiet in stock form. Now I don't know if I want to put foam in or clip the stabs.

I tried it in wireless mode with dongle, and noticed that some keypresses are not registered when I'm typing or pressing very quickly. Have not tried it wired up yet.
 

evolute8

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 7, 2005
Messages
9,933
Reaction score
4
I require 104-key wireless mechanical keyboard for Mac, is K1 Wireless Mechanical Keyboard (Version 4) the only option available ?
 
Joined
Mar 13, 2020
Messages
363
Reaction score
39
Same. I just tested it out. Came with RK-branded switches. I misunderstood and presumed it'd come with legit Cherry ones. But given the price, the whole set legit MXs will cost the same as the kb.

Turns out to be really quiet in stock form. Now I don't know if I want to put foam in or clip the stabs.

I tried it in wireless mode with dongle, and noticed that some keypresses are not registered when I'm typing or pressing very quickly. Have not tried it wired up yet.
oh its isnt cherry ones? sian.. is the rk ones good? im new to this so not sure
 

Nuclear Boy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2009
Messages
21,988
Reaction score
11,568
oh its isnt cherry ones? sian.. is the rk ones good? im new to this so not sure
I've never tried Cherry MX Browns myself, so can't make a direct comparison. It just feels like a linear switch with a subtle bump. The switches do work for sure, and tactile as expected from a Brown switch. The bump transition not as noticeable like a clicky Blue.
 
Joined
Mar 13, 2020
Messages
363
Reaction score
39
I've never tried Cherry MX Browns myself, so can't make a direct comparison. It just feels like a linear switch with a subtle bump. The switches do work for sure, and tactile as expected from a Brown switch. The bump transition not as noticeable like a clicky Blue.
i see. hope this can last for many years.

any stabiliser to recommend? dont really like how my backspace key sounds - abit clicky. would prefer a thock sound instead
 

Nuclear Boy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2009
Messages
21,988
Reaction score
11,568
i see. hope this can last for many years.

any stabiliser to recommend? dont really like how my backspace key sounds - abit clicky. would prefer a thock sound instead
I'm not well-versed into custom kb-ising so can only suggest clipping and lubing the stabs. Maybe also bandaid mod if you still not satisfied with the thocc.

I find them quite stable and quiet in stock form, compared what I've used so far, mechanical or not. (Rattly; other than the Model M)

EDIT: @roastedcoffeebean Tried kb in wired mode, the keypress problem went away; full n-key rollover tested fine too
 
Last edited:

FroztSpectre

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
15,275
Reaction score
197
i see. hope this can last for many years.

any stabiliser to recommend? dont really like how my backspace key sounds - abit clicky. would prefer a thock sound instead

I just bought new Everglide Panda V3 plate mount stabilizers. Almost $12 for the 96/98 key versions. Will let you know if they're good once they arrive.

(Not my picture)
_everglide_panda_plate_mount_s_1618986237_74bea89b_progressive.jpg
 
Joined
May 11, 2017
Messages
62,320
Reaction score
11,767
I'm not well-versed into custom kb-ising so can only suggest clipping and lubing the stabs. Maybe also bandaid mod if you still not satisfied with the thocc.

I find them quite stable and quiet in stock form, compared what I've used so far, mechanical or not. (Rattly; other than the Model M)

EDIT: @roastedcoffeebean Tried kb in wired mode, the keypress problem went away; full n-key rollover tested fine too
I think RK is the keyboard of the year .can just change keys and caps.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top