Recommendations for computer speakers

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just see whether both speakers have the muffled sound lor. You can put your ear closer to one speaker and see whether both speakers sound the same. You can also just disconnect one speaker and test one at a time.

Making sure both speakers sound the same is important to judge if the speaker themselves are working, since it is unlikely for both speakers to be damaged to the same extent at the same time.

From your description it looks like the speakers are good and the amp is damaged. But just make sure both speakers sound the same. Then you can just buy a $50 amp, and probably have to add EQ in Windows in case the Denon amp itself has EQ.

The loud c3 130Hz is common for HDB room, so you will want to EQ that away too.

noangel7

Reaction score
both speakers sound the same.
actually, after EQing away C3, the bass is less of a overwhelmingly loud muffled thump

not sure if my music is sounding sharper cos i'm not used to the sound yet but with the EQ on for lecture vids, the voice is easier to hear too

Thanks for the help! any recommended $50 amp in particular?

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
TBH think getting a new speaker set would be better than getting a cheap amp.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The more I read the more I think there might be nothing wrong at all...

English is a very poor medium for transcribing audio data...

For all we know you only hear it muffled now because you have covid or something...

noangel7

Reaction score
😲no lah. the lecturer sounding muffled was since May.
i think i can live with the current sound since speech sounds clearer and thank you both for the advice and teachings with the video as well as the speaker rec. those look cheap and good and worth considering for future 😁

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is Logitech G560 good? I never had that speaker before.

Apparently, some newer updates nerf the speakers.

For those of you using Logitech G560, try this fix :
Logitech G560 fix

The 2nd part on the equalizer part, maybe I don't know how to do it, so end up speaker sounds really bad. I only applied the first fix and the sound became so much better.

entertaint

Reaction score
Looking for soundbars to replace my Logitech Z313 cos plus the subwoofer cables too cluttering really cmi. Any recommendation for soundbars with option to use USB to connect?

I've read that soundbars sound quality isn't worth the trade off of having less wires so I'm kind of open to Bluetooth speakers too.

Last edited:

dreamaurora

Reaction score
Looking for soundbars to replace my Logitech Z313 cos plus the subwoofer cables too cluttering really cmi. Any recommendation for soundbars with option to use USB to connect?

I've read that soundbars sound quality isn't worth the trade off of having less wires so I'm kind of open to Bluetooth speakers too.

Soundbars IMO you need to be willing to spend at least $500 to get decent one. Actually most good soundbars don't have USB connection, they have optical input. Most recent motherboards have optical output anyway, so it's not an issue. A commonly recommended all in one soundbar (no separate subwoofer) at this price range is Samsung S61A, which I actually have and its really not bad for its price. I walked around Best Denki Vivo last week and I think they have a few soundbars on clearance below $600, you might want to check it out. Off the top of my head got one Harman Kardon one for $500 I think.

Bluetooth speakers with USB connect, AudioEngine A2 is the standard recommendation here around $400 plus.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good points mentioned. And the S60A measured by rtings does look pretty good for a soundbar.

https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/1-0/graph#23668/6881
And this provides a good base to continue the discussion. Soundbars have been and still are a compromise solution for someone who wants sound but cannot use normal speakers due to either cost or space restrictions. Soundbars provide good value at a low price if you need the features like home-theatre features e.g. HDMI input, and (virtual/semi-virtual) surround sound.

But what if you don't need these features? Then look at what $600 can buy you in Audioengine A5+

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../audioengine-a5-powered-speaker-review.13803/
World of a difference isn't it? And competition is fierce in the 2.0 bookshelf market, i.e. there are many speakers capable of this kind of performance at this kind of price point.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I would recommend getting the Edifier R1280DB ($134 Challenger) than a soundbar.

DSC08515.jpg
Soundbar will sound hollow since it is design for surround sound.
2.0 setup like R1280DB will have less cable, and this have BT, Two RCA and one Optical.
The sound will be better than Z313 in terms of clarity since I also have one Z313 with me.
*I amend my previous post after my recent testing.

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Are all soundbar design for surround sound? I do not think so. If you are running out of space, soundbar is a better option than having 2 book shelf speakers since it can be place under the monitor.

Last edited:

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are all soundbar design for surround sound? I do not think so. If you are running out of space, soundbar is a better option than having 2 book shelf speakers since it can be place under the monitor.
Not always, since surround sound costs $$$ so there are stereo soundbars too. But it better has some form of virtual surround or the sound will sound like it is coming from the center of your monitor. For example Razer Leviathan's Virtual Surround works with stereo input and it transforms the sound from horrible to acceptable.

The space argument can work both ways. Soundbar takes up space in front of the monitor if the monitor is not wall-mounted. My table is 60cm deep and it just doesn't work well with soundbars.

Plus, the better / bigger soundbars are, well, big. S60A mentioned above for example is 76.5cm wide.

entertaint

Reaction score
I would recommend getting the Edifier R1280DB ($134 Challenger) than a soundbar.

DSC08515.jpg
Soundbar will sound hollow since it is design for surround sound.
2.0 setup like R1280DB will have less cable, and this have BT, Two RCA and one Optical.
The sound will be better than Z313 in terms of clarity since I also have one Z313 with me.
*I amend my previous post after my recent testing.
How would this compare to the G2000 in terms of quality? Saw on Amazon R1280DB $262 will go down Challenger to see later since I gg there to test mice also. Was super keen in getting G2000 till I saw that the two speaker is connected together via a wire (who tf decides that design???)

Reaction score
How would this compare to the G2000 in terms of quality? Saw on Amazon R1280DB $262 will go down Challenger to see later since I gg there to test mice also. Was super keen in getting G2000 till I saw that the two speaker is connected together via a wire (who tf decides that design???)

G2000 will lose to 1280.

1280 not so exp.
Around $120 Only.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Take note locally R1280DB is selling $134 (Challenger value club price).
No comment on G2000 as I have not tested this yet.
One thing for sure R1280DB will be better than G2000.

Last edited:

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
G2000 will lose to 1280.

1280 not so exp.
Around $120 Only.

Well yea that's why Edifier is pricing it cheaper than R1280DB I guess

2HcTspu.png

It's decent for that price if you need the RGB......

Also Sonic Gear Morro for $12 hmm...........................................

Shahmatt

Reaction score
The R1280DB has the additional tweeter which the G2000 does not. A bigger bass unit of 4" vs 2 3/4". Also the overall power is higher: 21W vs 16W.

R1280DB has more lower end: 55Hz vs 98Hz. But on the other hand the G2000 has the sub-out, which could make a difference.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I find the extra sub out of the R1280DBs (the newer version with the sub out) kind of useless tho.

Because the R1280DB bass is already pretty decent, and since there are not many good cheap sub, the total cost of a good sub + R1280DB is enough to buy a much better 2.0

The sub out will come in useful when you need a lot of bass and yet somehow feel you are ok with just that kind of treble performance. R1850DB with a sub out is probably a better combination of speaker + subwoofer.

With G2000 however, the sub-out may find justifiable use. Because 1) The bass of G2000 is less because it is a smaller speaker, 2) The shorter height of G2000 allows it to be used kind of like a tall soundbar, 3) Price range and RGB.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To me I prefer balanced sound mean mid and bass should not overshadow with one and another.
Some speaker have sub out which it's a nice feature so for those who want lots of bass can add a sub.
But like Logitech Z623/Z625 which focus heavily on bass, the sound is overshadow by the deep bass.

The new Edifier R1280BS which is not sold locally, have sub out but have to ensure the sub
crossover setting is correct else the bass will not be in sync.
If add Edifier T5 with that, rather get a 2.1 speaker instead however in market there are
not a lot of good 2.1 speaker.

entertaint

Reaction score
I went to 3 challenger outlets all no edifier R1280DB, last outlet I went finally talked to a staff and told me hachitech website no have means they don't carry (which the site don't list it btw). Found on shopee for $127 still considering.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.