Recommended Korea Tour package

Clarity

Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2005
Messages
263
Reaction score
0
the plan looks okay but here are some suggestions.

try to go to the attractions that are nearby on the same day. if not for a first timer, seoul subway can be a little bit intimidating.

you might want to spend 3 days in jeju instead if u r using public transport. most of the stuffs that you can find in jeju can also be found in seoul. visit the lotte mart if you have the time.

to get to nami island, see this site: http://www.namisum.com/CheckENG/CheckENG1.asp think the view is nicer from may onwards. not sure.

is this the first time that you are doing hiking? if it is, after the climb you might be too tired to go to Techno mart.

the entrance fee for korean folk village is 11,000won, the most expensive attraction that i've been to thus far. not a bad place, see all the filming spots in the korean dramas. btw the korean folk village and suwon fortress is not in seoul per se. it's at gyeonggi-do. you can either take a train or bus there. you might want to shift it to an earlier day.

you might also want to keep the shopping to the last few days. I'm assuming that you are staying at the same location and dont have to carry your luggage around that frequently. if you are interested, can always go for DMZ tour too.


Hmm... Jeju is more of a 3 day 2 nites. Planning on hiring taxi to get around the area. That is possible right? I read it somewhere on the tour 2 korea site.

Nami island, I know how to get there :) Juz that not sure how is transport on Nami island itself.. Dun thk there's like buses there?

Uh oh.. First time doing hiking... Hmm...

Yup, read abt Suwon fortress on the tour to korea site, Im planning on following the sample itinery, which would means starting the day departing from Seoul @ 9am... Ha...

Hmm, shopping on the last day.. Now that u mention it.. I thk I should.. else, have to carry the stuff around... Will be staying in 2 hotels, one for Seoul, one for Jeju. Nami will be a day trip from Seoul.

Questions abt shopping @ Namdeamun, Myeong-dong, Dongdaemun. Im specifically looking for clothes / boots. What kind of price range am I looking at?
 

mamoo82

Member
Joined
May 20, 2005
Messages
394
Reaction score
16
Hmm... Jeju is more of a 3 day 2 nites. Planning on hiring taxi to get around the area. That is possible right? I read it somewhere on the tour 2 korea site.

Nami island, I know how to get there :) Juz that not sure how is transport on Nami island itself.. Dun thk there's like buses there?

Uh oh.. First time doing hiking... Hmm...

Yup, read abt Suwon fortress on the tour to korea site, Im planning on following the sample itinery, which would means starting the day departing from Seoul @ 9am... Ha...

Hmm, shopping on the last day.. Now that u mention it.. I thk I should.. else, have to carry the stuff around... Will be staying in 2 hotels, one for Seoul, one for Jeju. Nami will be a day trip from Seoul.

Questions abt shopping @ Namdeamun, Myeong-dong, Dongdaemun. Im specifically looking for clothes / boots. What kind of price range am I looking at?

I think Nami island is pretty small so can either cycle or walk. I would be going there this weekend or next weekend. Will update you if I do go.

Jeju by taxi is a no no unless you are travelling in a group of 4. They will charge you at a fixed price. btw, do you speak some korean? Other than Seoulites, the rest of the koreans in the other parts of korea seldom use English.

Namdaemun sells mostly food products. I'm not sure what's the price range for Myeong-dong but it's mostly department stores. The roadside stalls sell mostly accessaries and bags which can cost from 5,000won to 50,000won or more. If there's a sale, it'll be cheaper. Dongdaemun has a mixture of department stores and roadside stalls. After 12am, the roadside stalls will sell their goods really cheaply. You can also try bargaining with them. Sometimes they do give discounts. So you might want to stay near Dongdaemun.

Still it's the first time that you are doing hiking, try to clear all the out of seoul activities during the first few days, then do ur seoul itinerary and followed by hiking on the last day. Otherwise, make sure the day after hiking is a slack day. I'm not sure how's your physical fitness like but usually the next day, most of us tend to have some sores especially if it's a tough hike. If you want a quiet hiking trip, dont hike during the weekends.
 

Webbyboy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2001
Messages
21,792
Reaction score
4
Myeong-dong is basically an area of shophouses mainly sell fashion goods, there are local brands and some international brands too. You can find some nice food shops and restaurant too. :) lotte department is nearby there too. You can visit there too. If you looking for "fake" goods you can go itaewon but i think it's very rare finding them nowadays, police always raid those leather goods shop selling fake branded goods. Boots are cheap in Korea:) I always buy boots for my cousins' or friends whenever i come back from Korea. Try myeong-dong. *^^*


Oh man i cans only go backs to Korea during 2009 :( i miss my everything there. :(
 

Clarity

Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2005
Messages
263
Reaction score
0
Hi mamoo82

Thanks for so much info! Wow, are u living in Korea? Or perhaps a Korean? :) Hee, would appreciate the update on Nami! Thanks in advance :D

Hmm, I dun mind paying a fixed price for the taxi, if Im not wrong is 80000 Won per day.. Do u happen to know if the taxi drivers on Jeju speaks Eng? Haha... I dun speak korean at all :o Neither do my travel partner. Haha...

Hmm, Im actually staying near Isadong area.

Haha, my fitness is not at a good level... Looks like I need some exercise before going.. The price to pay for the view at the top... Planned it at the last 2nd day, thk should be ok.. Ha...
 
Last edited:

Clarity

Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2005
Messages
263
Reaction score
0
Myeong-dong is basically an area of shophouses mainly sell fashion goods, there are local brands and some international brands too. You can find some nice food shops and restaurant too. :) lotte department is nearby there too. You can visit there too. If you looking for "fake" goods you can go itaewon but i think it's very rare finding them nowadays, police always raid those leather goods shop selling fake branded goods. Boots are cheap in Korea:) I always buy boots for my cousins' or friends whenever i come back from Korea. Try myeong-dong. *^^*


Oh man i cans only go backs to Korea during 2009 :( i miss my everything there. :(

Hmm, Myeong-dong is definitely on my list to shop. Hehe, hope I dun go broke from shopping there.. Lolz...
 

mamoo82

Member
Joined
May 20, 2005
Messages
394
Reaction score
16
Hi mamoo82

Thanks for so much info! Wow, are u living in Korea? Or perhaps a Korean? :) Hee, would appreciate the update on Nami! Thanks in advance :D

Hmm, I dun mind paying a fixed price for the taxi, if Im not wrong is 80000 Won per day.. Do u happen to know if the taxi drivers on Jeju speaks Eng? Haha... I dun speak korean at all :o Neither do my travel partner. Haha...

Hmm, Im actually staying near Isadong area.

Haha, my fitness is not at a good level... Looks like I need some exercise before going.. The price to pay for the view at the top... Planned it at the last 2nd day, thk should be ok.. Ha...

nope i'm not korean. just that i've been here on exchange for the past 9 months so been travelling around. the price for jeju is not fixed but can bargain. i remembered taking cab from the ferry terminal in jeju-si to seogwipo-si and it costed 30,000won.

webbyboy is korean. u can ask him. hahaa.
 

Clarity

Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2005
Messages
263
Reaction score
0
nope i'm not korean. just that i've been here on exchange for the past 9 months so been travelling around. the price for jeju is not fixed but can bargain. i remembered taking cab from the ferry terminal in jeju-si to seogwipo-si and it costed 30,000won.

webbyboy is korean. u can ask him. hahaa.

Hmm, will there be a problem hiring cab on Jeju? Haha... As in, if I duno korean >.< Was planning to hire a taxi driver for the whole day... Read from webby, rate is like 80000 won for whole day.

Wah, how u know webbyboy is korean? Haha... I have a question abt shopping in Korea.. Erm.. Do they sell Japanese skin care there? Like Fancl? Cant seem to find anything on this...
 

mamoo82

Member
Joined
May 20, 2005
Messages
394
Reaction score
16
Hmm, will there be a problem hiring cab on Jeju? Haha... As in, if I duno korean >.< Was planning to hire a taxi driver for the whole day... Read from webby, rate is like 80000 won for whole day.

Wah, how u know webbyboy is korean? Haha... I have a question abt shopping in Korea.. Erm.. Do they sell Japanese skin care there? Like Fancl? Cant seem to find anything on this...

it's not a problem. ask ur hotel reception to help u with it if it's a big problem. Erm, I dont really take notice of what kind of skin care products but if Ume is available, Fancl should be too. If the small departmental stores dont carry it, then try the big ones.

before i left for korea last year, i asked webbyboy stuffs.
 

Clarity

Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2005
Messages
263
Reaction score
0
it's not a problem. ask ur hotel reception to help u with it if it's a big problem. Erm, I dont really take notice of what kind of skin care products but if Ume is available, Fancl should be too. If the small departmental stores dont carry it, then try the big ones.

before i left for korea last year, i asked webbyboy stuffs.

Wow. Icic =D

I have a question abt the Seoul airport bus. Erm, how do I know which station to alight at? I mean, i have the station name, but, how will I know which station izit? Do they broadcast / show the station name on the bus?
 

mamoo82

Member
Joined
May 20, 2005
Messages
394
Reaction score
16
Wow. Icic =D

I have a question abt the Seoul airport bus. Erm, how do I know which station to alight at? I mean, i have the station name, but, how will I know which station izit? Do they broadcast / show the station name on the bus?

which station are you getting off? i do recall them broadcasting it.. what time will u reach korea? AM or night?
 

GoaTee

Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2003
Messages
273
Reaction score
0
Hi wish to check out some stuff as i m goin to korea in 2 weeks time...

- korea hotel do not have 3 pin socket? heard frm agent tt we can only bring 2 pin plug over...

- is it okie to wear normal sport shoes for skiing or is there a special shoes tt can fit the ski?

- will it be crazy to wear army boots as all my sports shoes are meant for athletics which is quite thin.

- for the tips, can only paid in US dollars? can juz pay in Won...my agent mention if pay by Won, juz pay 20,000 will do...got so cheap meh if compare to US$40..

Thanks
 

jacquelineysl

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hi GoaTee

-Yup korea hotel do not have 3 pin socket. You can bring along those 2 pin type of plugs we use in s'pore, if not you will need an adapter.

- you don't need to wear shoes to ski, they will lend you some kind of ski boot (it looks like roller blades without the wheels).

- army boots or sports shoes are both ok in my opinion. Posibilty that wearing sports shoes will get your feet wet. Wear only comfy shoes cause its alot of walking. i wore heeled boots cause it was the only winter footwear i had n it was quite tiring.

- for the tips if pay by Won they will prob charge you based on their exchange rate; Won-USD. I think its best to bring usd. just change the exact.

If you are buying ginseng, dong chong xia cao then you can bring extra usd f you want. you can still pay using credit card or won.

Enjoy you ur trip.

btw, have you changed won, do you know wats the current rate? I have spare won that i want to change back to sgd when the rate gets better.
 

GoaTee

Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2003
Messages
273
Reaction score
0
i haven changed yet...but last weekend check S$1 is to 660won at Peoples Park.. any idea normally where u changed for WON?
 

GoaTee

Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2003
Messages
273
Reaction score
0
ermm..is there any recommend good clubbing scene in Seoul? or when is the ladies night? Browsing tru all the threads, seem tat Itawon is the clubbing area...
 

GoaTee

Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2003
Messages
273
Reaction score
0
oh man..not again...las trip to hong kong encounter Signal 8 ball n haf to stay indoor for 70% of the trip...pls...for god sake...no more surprise for mi tis time!!
 

adamis

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2001
Messages
2,438
Reaction score
0
did anyone watch news last night, dongdaemun gate was on fire, it is badly damaged.


Didn't know that there's such a thread in HWZ...

I've been shuffling between S'pore & Korea, since Sep last year due to work commitments..

The gate that was damage is Korea No.1 National Treasure.. Nandamung.. Just been to the site yesterday... the fire took out most of the gate.. especially the top portion..
 

adamis

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2001
Messages
2,438
Reaction score
0
i haven changed yet...but last weekend check S$1 is to 660won at Peoples Park.. any idea normally where u changed for WON?


This is already quite a good rate...

I change in Suntec last tues for the same rate..
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top