Samsung Galaxy A54

Rubick

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2011
Messages
34,950
Reaction score
2,326
Submitted 10/5. Approved only on 23/5 after I submitted the missing docs. They tried to deliver on 16/7 but I wasnt in and i reacheduled to 24/7.

Thanks for the info.
Seems like need to wait for subsequent batch that will only come in mid Aug according to the CSO that I spoke to.
 

Rxgn

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2002
Messages
7,386
Reaction score
702
A34 $340
A54 $420

Only 80 diff, more incline to buy a54 for my child

What do you all think? Both phone not much diff, only the chipset.
 

Dorkable

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2014
Messages
1,806
Reaction score
441
A34 $340
A54 $420

Only 80 diff, more incline to buy a54 for my child

What do you all think? Both phone not much diff, only the chipset.
A54 wins hands down with camera quality due to the good old Sony IMX766 sensor. While both have good battery life, the A54 lasted a bit longer for me overall. And if you have Wifi 6 at home, the A54 supports that. With its glass back, it feels and looks more premium but has more heft to it. A54's Exynos 1380 gets hot fast during my graphic intensive games under Medium settings only, and I am scared it might just chi ba bom due to the high temperature.

A34 is more lightweight while having a bigger 6.6" display. The teardrop selfie cam notch is no issue to me but some folks might find it aesthetically displeasing. It has a plastic back which I fear it might be susceptible to scratches. A34's Dimensity 1080 is close to A54's Exynos 1380 performance, and runs cooler even during gaming. Lastly, it lacks support for Wifi 6 which was a minor inconvenience for me since I am used to Wifi 6 at home.

Just my personal experience. Hope that helps.
 
Last edited:

chooyoshi

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2016
Messages
2,241
Reaction score
493
A54 wins hands down with camera quality due to the good old Sony IMX766 sensor. While both have good battery life, the A54 lasted a bit longer for me overall. And if you have Wifi 6 at home, the A54 supports that. With its glass back, it feels and looks more premium but has more heft to it. A54's Exynos 1380 gets hot fast during my graphic intensive games under Medium settings only, and I am scared it might just chi ba bom due to the high temperature.

A34 is more lightweight while having a bigger 6.6" display. The teardrop selfie cam notch is no issue to me but some folks might find it aesthetically displeasing. It has a plastic back which I fear it might be susceptible to scratches. A34's Dimensity 1080 is close to A54's Exynos 1380 performance, and runs cooler even during gaming. Lastly, it lacks support for Wifi 6 which was a minor inconvenience for me since I am used to Wifi 6 at home.

Just my personal experience. Hope that helps.
https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a34_vs_samsung_galaxy_a54-news-58248.php
 

JivBunny

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2004
Messages
19,671
Reaction score
4,331
I decided to do a gaming thermal test today on my A54's Exynos 1380, and compared it to my Xiaomi Pad 6's Snapdragon 870 heat management. Game used for testing was Honkai Star Rail from the point of downloading and installation (9Gb) to actual gameplay. I did not use my tpu case for both devices so that I can have a good grasp of their thermals.

Exynos 1380 (A54)

Installation
: It rapidly got hotter from start, especially at the top half portion for both front and back of the phone. It got so hot to a point that I would advise against using a case.

Gameplay: I let the phone cool down first for an hour before starting up the game. Again, it started heating up rapidly right from the start even before I entered any combat. Note that I preset my graphical settings to Low/Medium. This is less hot than the installation, but still discouraged me from thinking of using a case, or even to play the game with an ease of mind.

Snapdragon 870 (Xiaomi Pad 6)

Installation
: It only ever got slightly warm.

Gameplay: Graphical settings were on High. I only started to feel the first bit of warmth at the lower half of the tablet after 7 mins of gameplay. And it pretty much remained like that for the rest of my gameplay. I would totally be comfy to use a case and game with an ease of mind.

My thoughts
Exynos 1380 has subpar thermals for gaming to me in this instance, especially when compared to a much older performance SoC like Snapdragon 870. BUT....this could also be because Honkai Star Rail is not optimized for the Exynos 1380?

In fact, I personally think that the entire 5nm line might be cursed by less than desirable thermals. Think Google Tensor and Mediatek's Dimensity 8100, both of which are of the same 5nm gen. My previous experience with the Realme GT Neo 3's Dimensity 8100 was worse than Exynos 1380 based on just thermals alone --- the former got soooo hot that I couldn't even touch the device at one point.

For now, I would likely just play my match 3 puzzle type of games on my A54. And I still think it is the most gorgeous looking Samsung cellphone I ever had, love it! Above is just my personal thermal experience and two cents' worth 🙂

Upgraded to the fold5 and now the A54 is in one corner.

Buti have to say that the built and looks of the A54 is really quite good.
 

KuroI-Kaze

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2007
Messages
5,310
Reaction score
519
I went to see the display set and the build of A54 is really not bad at all. I bought one from 8.8 sales. Hopefully tmr can arrive.

is the bud2 promo still ongoing?
 

JivBunny

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2004
Messages
19,671
Reaction score
4,331
I went to see the display set and the build of A54 is really not bad at all. I bought one from 8.8 sales. Hopefully tmr can arrive.

is the bud2 promo still ongoing?

Depending on what your current handset is, was using the A42 5G as a secondary. So moving to the A54 was a big jump and it looks like the premium S2x series. The touch and feel is also premium.

But frankly, for similar price, I think a lot of china brands will be able to offer a better phone and experience.
 

kelvinti

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2009
Messages
23,269
Reaction score
2,433
China brand phone UI also super confusing and messy. They don't follow the standard Android implementation. 🤦‍♂️

Nothing beats Samsung's OneUI in the Android world now! :)
 

Dorkable

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2014
Messages
1,806
Reaction score
441
Depending on what your current handset is, was using the A42 5G as a secondary. So moving to the A54 was a big jump and it looks like the premium S2x series. The touch and feel is also premium.

But frankly, for similar price, I think a lot of china brands will be able to offer a better phone and experience.
To be honest, I think A54 leaves many China brand cellphones in the dust in a similar price range. Just the fact that Samsung has 4 Android updates and 5 years of security patch for A54 is already a feat no other China brands could match.

And when you consider the A54's lovely display, excellent selfie and rear camera quality, battery life, IP67 rating, premium design, friendly UI, micro SD slot and selfie 4k recording, it's really tough to find a China brand in that same price range to match up to A54. Seemingly, its Exynos 1380 might be its only glaring weakness.
 

Rxgn

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2002
Messages
7,386
Reaction score
702
A54 wins hands down with camera quality due to the good old Sony IMX766 sensor. While both have good battery life, the A54 lasted a bit longer for me overall. And if you have Wifi 6 at home, the A54 supports that. With its glass back, it feels and looks more premium but has more heft to it. A54's Exynos 1380 gets hot fast during my graphic intensive games under Medium settings only, and I am scared it might just chi ba bom due to the high temperature.

A34 is more lightweight while having a bigger 6.6" display. The teardrop selfie cam notch is no issue to me but some folks might find it aesthetically displeasing. It has a plastic back which I fear it might be susceptible to scratches. A34's Dimensity 1080 is close to A54's Exynos 1380 performance, and runs cooler even during gaming. Lastly, it lacks support for Wifi 6 which was a minor inconvenience for me since I am used to Wifi 6 at home.

Just my personal experience. Hope that helps.
Thanks likely i will get a54.

Cheapest price after shopee voucher is $385
 

wifi_18Z

Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2023
Messages
434
Reaction score
152
I changed over to Samsung a54 from my old Xiaomi note 10 pro. A close competitor was the newer poco f5.
But, just think about it. After 2 years of using the poco, there are no more security updates. Is that something u can really live with, especially in this age of scams targeting Android phones?
 

KuroI-Kaze

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2007
Messages
5,310
Reaction score
519
Depending on what your current handset is, was using the A42 5G as a secondary. So moving to the A54 was a big jump and it looks like the premium S2x series. The touch and feel is also premium.

But frankly, for similar price, I think a lot of china brands will be able to offer a better phone and experience.
Im using xiaomi 11 lite. i wanted to buy the civi2 which is mi 13 lite but it didnt come to sg.

but for $380++ i think not alot of phones are better than a54 at this price range

personally i think the weaknesses for a54 is just the cpu and charging speed
 

newcell

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2007
Messages
10,436
Reaction score
2,066
Im using xiaomi 11 lite. i wanted to buy the civi2 which is mi 13 lite but it didnt come to sg.

but for $380++ i think not alot of phones are better than a54 at this price range

personally i think the weaknesses for a54 is just the cpu and charging speed
Me think a54 cpu OK lah for a midrange phone. Charging speed, from day 1, I use super fast charger from Samsung as in pic, so far charging speed acceptable.

 
Last edited:

JivBunny

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2004
Messages
19,671
Reaction score
4,331
I think my basis for mentioning that if you compare with China phones of similar price range, is meant for a secondary phone in my use case.

Gaming, downloading funny stuffs and all which I don't do on my iphone. So security patch is not really something I am quite concern with.

In terms of specs, there are indeed much more from China brand phones, but ultimately I still gotten the A54 few months back. Near to 600 for the 256gb model, so given the price has dropped to ard 400 today. Then I think the options of better China phones are much lesser
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top