Second Hokkaido Trip

Leftyaof

Reaction score
Guys! any food recommendation for family size of 8 in sapporo / abashiri?

And are there any food/dessert to try in Kushiro other than visiting the seafood market?

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Planning for mid Oct Hokkaido trip to experience autumn and maybe stargazing if possible. Family of 3 adults. Is this doable?

Day 1, Thurs: Chitose airport to Sapporo
Day 2, Fri: Sapporo
Day 3, Sat: Sapporo
Day 4, Sun: Collect car from Sapporo and drive to Hakodate, 4.5 hrs. park at the hotel, hopefully got a lot
Day 5, Mon: Hakodate, drive around or take public transport
Day 6, Tues: Leave Hakodate in morning and drive to Otaru, 4 hrs.
Day 7, Wed: Otaru
Day 8, Thurs: Leave Otaru and drive to Ashibetsu Onsen Starlight hotel, 2.5 hrs. Might consider driving at night towards Asahikawa and stop along the way to stagaze. Reach in morning, have breakfast, check in and sleep till dinner on day 9. if so, may find an onsen place or so to hold for a while before moving off for night drive
Day 9, Fri: Leave Ashibetsu and drive to Asahikawa, 1 hr
Day 10, Sat: Leave Asahikawa and drive to Sapporo, 2 hr and return car
Day 11, Sun: Sapporo to Chitose airport

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Planning for mid Oct Hokkaido trip to experience autumn and maybe stargazing if possible. Family of 3 adults. Is this doable?

Day 4, Sun: Collect car from Sapporo and drive to Hakodate, 4.5 hrs. park at the hotel, hopefully got a lot
Day 8, Thurs: Leave Otaru and drive to Ashibetsu Onsen Starlight hotel, 2.5 hrs. Might consider driving at night towards Asahikawa and stop along the way to stagaze. Reach in morning, have breakfast, check in and sleep till dinner on day 9. if so, may find an onsen place or so to hold for a while before moving off for night drive

i wld pick up car 1-2 days earlier, and have more nights in Sapporo towards the end, for last minute shopping before returning

personally, I wld spend more time in Hakodate than Otaru ,,, there r more interesting places around Hakodate for Autumn sights (eg Lake Onuma, Kosetsuen) ... also it is easy enuf to get to Otaru from Sapporo, without the need to drive

Hako to Otaru will be a very long drive ... half of the way has no expressway

why go to Asahikawa to stay a night ?

there r several places close to Sapporo that have very good Autumn atmosphere

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i wld pick up car 1-2 days earlier, and have more nights in Sapporo towards the end, for last minute shopping before returning

personally, I wld spend more time in Hakodate than Otaru ,,, there r more interesting places around Hakodate for Autumn sights (eg Lake Onuma, Kosetsuen) ... also it is easy enuf to get to Otaru from Sapporo, without the need to drive

Hako to Otaru will be a very long drive ... half of the way has no expressway

why go to Asahikawa to stay a night ?

there r several places close to Sapporo that have very good Autumn atmosphere
Thanks for your input. Where else can we go other than Sapporo or Hakodate? Was thinking of north of Sapporo and i do see some remote area at night...

Or shld i just skip Ashibetsu/Asahikawa and just plan along Sapporo/Hakodate with stops/stays in between?

Last edited:

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. Where else can we go other than Sapporo or Hakodate? Was thinking of north of Sapporo and i do see some remote area at night...

Chitose, Lake Toya, Lake Shikotsu, Niseko, Jozankei areas can be dark n remote

just naming these as they are closer to your itin of going to Hakodate ,,, (compared to Asahikawa or Ashibetsu)

dont really understand what your objectives are ,,, for star gazing, is it like an hour or 2 thing or u gaze throughout the night

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Chitose, Lake Toya, Lake Shikotsu, Niseko, Jozankei areas can be dark n remote

just naming these as they are closer to your itin of going to Hakodate ,,, (compared to Asahikawa or Ashibetsu)

dont really understand what your objectives are ,,, for star gazing, is it like an hour or 2 thing or u gaze throughout the night

For now, im reading up and basing off some itineraries online, but finetuning as i go. Most likely will stick to west japan. Stargazing shld be 1-3 hrs type.

Coz Hakodate to Sapporo is a 4.5 hrs drive. So im trying not to go back n forth too much, wanna create a loop somehow. I thought since i renting car, would like to go to other places and stay/based on there/explore.

wongkc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If u use use Hakodate Airport as Arrival and Depart using Asahikawa Aiportā€¦ u could have save lots of traveling timeā€¦

Sauron

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Then I donā€™t go in June. Wanna avoid peak as wanna avoid kids
Don't know if every tourist is bringing their kids.

Sapporo is also very popular in winter due to the winter festival as I understand

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Then I donā€™t go in June. Wanna avoid peak as wanna avoid kids

May (after Golden week) n Sep r definitely low season for Sapporo

Jun is not so much peak season for Hokkaido, but more bcos of SG school holidays I think

Jul is more peak for flower season, than Jun

luckygal

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
May (after Golden week) n Sep r definitely low season for Sapporo

Jun is not so much peak season for Hokkaido, but more bcos of SG school holidays I think

Jul is more peak for flower season, than Jun
I have some close travelling friends who can only travel during sch hol as they are looking after grandkids during sch days. Went in May before. Love the weather then.

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Adjusted my itinerary to the following based on 11D/10N. If this is okay, will use this as a base to search where to visit, what to eat, where to park (FOC or paid). Going with elderly parents, so need to consider their activeness, etc.

1st to 3rd night: Sapporo + 1 day otaru day tour
4th-5th night: stay in Lake toya ryokan + visit Lake Shikotsu (drive)
6th-7th night: Hakodate (drive)
8th-9th night: stay in Comfort Inn Niseko If i can manage to book it (drive)
10th night: Sapporo

broskel

Reaction score
Want to ask for hotel recommendation at Furano/Asahikawa? Want to drive from Sapporo and do some pit stop along the way. Planning to visit areas around Biei, Ningle terrace, blue pond and Asahiyama Zoo.

Last edited:

Unic0rn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

I planning for Hokkaido in late Summer (August) or early-mid Autumn (September/October)
2 Adults travelling and will follow your layout, for self drive.

Day 1: Chitose airport to Sapporo
Day 2 : Sapporo
Day 3 : Sapporo
Day 4 : Collect car from Sapporo and drive to Hakodate, 4.5 hrs. park at the hotel, hopefully got a lot
Day 5 : Hakodate, drive around or take public transport
Day 6 : Leave Hakodate in morning and drive to Otaru, 4 hrs.
Day 7 : Otaru
Day 8 : Leave Otaru and drive to Ashibetsu Onsen Starlight hotel, 2.5 hrs. Might consider driving at night towards Asahikawa and stop along the way to stagaze. Reach in morning, have breakfast, check in and sleep till dinner on day 9. if so, may find an onsen place or so to hold for a while before moving off for night drive
Day 9 : Leave Ashibetsu and drive to Asahikawa, 1 hr
Day 10 : Leave Asahikawa and drive to Sapporo, 2 hr and return car

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.