Singtel ONR AP Issues

teadee

Reaction score
I am facing similar problems with Masa27 - Asus AC1200G+ running on AP mode behind Singtel AC Plus has problems with wifi, but wired is fine.

This is my setup:
ONR -----> Singtel AC Plus
Singtel AC Plus -----> Singtel TV
Singtel AC Plus -----> Linksys EA8100 (AP mode) -----> Singtel AirTies Mesh
Singtel AC Plus -----> Singtel Aztech (AP mode)
Singtel AC Plus -----> Asus AC1200G+ (AP mode)

When Asus is on AP mode, wired Internet works fine. However I am unable to connect to wifi. Even when connected, the speed is like <5mbps. Problem is resolved when Asus AP is plugged directly behind ONR. However ONR is at one corner of the house that is inaccessible, so I cannot plug my Asus AP or Singtel TV to the ONR. Funny thing is setting Asus to router mode (double NAT) works fine initially, but after some troubleshooting suddenly router mode also does not work. How come my Linksys and Singtel Aztech AP can work but Asus cannot?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am facing similar problems with Masa27 - Asus AC1200G+ running on AP mode behind Singtel AC Plus has problems with wifi, but wired is fine.

This is my setup:
ONR -----> Singtel AC Plus
Singtel AC Plus -----> Singtel TV
Singtel AC Plus -----> Linksys EA8100 (AP mode) -----> Singtel AirTies Mesh
Singtel AC Plus -----> Singtel Aztech (AP mode)
Singtel AC Plus -----> Asus AC1200G+ (AP mode)

When Asus is on AP mode, wired Internet works fine. However I am unable to connect to wifi. Even when connected, the speed is like <5mbps. Problem is resolved when Asus AP is plugged directly behind ONR. However ONR is at one corner of the house that is inaccessible, so I cannot plug my Asus AP or Singtel TV to the ONR. Funny thing is setting Asus to router mode (double NAT) works fine initially, but after some troubleshooting suddenly router mode also does not work. How come my Linksys and Singtel Aztech AP can work but Asus cannot?

You issue is most likely different from Masa27.

Just wondering why you need so many APs? Are they located in different rooms? Too many wifi devices may cause the wifi signal to interfere with each other.

SIngtel AC Plus may be the bottleneck here even if only adds as a switch. You may try to disable its wifi to see if that helps first. If not, buy the Singtel Mesh Router from Carousell for less than S$30 and replace the Singtel AC Plus with it. That is supposed to be plug-and-play just like the Singtel AC Plus. You do not need to change other connections.

Are you using the same SSID with all the different APs? That may cause issues as well.

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Mixing brands of APs also tend to get quite messy. First, crowding the airwaves and contributing to collision and hence reducing the overall quality of the wireless network cos they all cannot communicate/coordinate with each other. Second, because there's no proper handing off mechanism in between different brands of consumer level APs, the APs will not "release" and "handoff" properly. There will be issues arising from this. Probably nothing groundbreaking, but in the obvious interests of saving money, just be aware of the possible consequences.

l0nEr_

Reaction score
Hi, i need some urgent help with this...
i was using my ONT fine until relocated and singtel forced the ONR onto me without letting me know earlier.

The ONR works if i connect directly using Ethernet.
I checked and tried to set my AX88U into AP mode. But when connect to the ONR, it doesnt work. The ONR light is green, and so is the AX88U but somehow i cannot get internet on my wifi .
Did i do anything wrongly?

I tried the same with another Asus Router, also did not work during AP mode. same issues.

am i missing something?
Singtel is playing dumb and i dont have a singtel router, so im stuck without wifi and a router that is not very accessible.

can anybody kindly help?? thanks in advance

lilycll

Reaction score
Hi, i need some urgent help with this...
i was using my ONT fine until relocated and singtel forced the ONR onto me without letting me know earlier.

The ONR works if i connect directly using Ethernet.
I checked and tried to set my AX88U into AP mode. But when connect to the ONR, it doesnt work. The ONR light is green, and so is the AX88U but somehow i cannot get internet on my wifi .
Did i do anything wrongly?

I tried the same with another Asus Router, also did not work during AP mode. same issues.

am i missing something?
Singtel is playing dumb and i dont have a singtel router, so im stuck without wifi and a router that is not very accessible.

can anybody kindly help?? thanks in advance

Have you tried to reset the routers to factory default and reconfigure as an AP?

Try reconnect the LAN cable connected to Asus Router WAN port to one of it's LAN port. The other end of same LAN cable still connected to ONR (try first Port and other Ports but one at a time). Connect one client device (PC or Laptop) to 2nd LAN port of same Asus Router using another LAN cable (not Wifi). Check if Internet is working now.

If working, reconnect one Wifi device to Asus Router Wifi and check if Internet is working now.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good solution from fellow forum member hairymonster. You need a router which supports IGMP Snooping function and then set it up in router mode but run as an AP (disable DHCP, use the Singtel ONR as the DNS server, connect router LAN 1 to ONR LAN port, connect Singtel TV box to other LAN port of the router).

This solution is inline with the answer from renfred89 previously, using a dumb switch with IGMP Snooping function should work.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...tel-tv-onr-ac86u-ax23-singtel-tv-box.6681949/
Hello

For most network configuration in singtel household, the singtel tv box needs to be directly connected to either the onr or the singtel mesh router (provisioned by singtel). Meaning:
ONR->Singtel Mesh Router->Singtel TV box

This post provides a solution to use asus/tplink routers instead of the Singtel Mesh Router. Meaning:
ONR->AC86U/AX23->Singtel TV box

Following @xiaofan request to share the configuration of asus router to route singtel fibre tv signal to the singtel tv box, please find the steps below.

Steps:
1: Setting the router in router mode but using it as AP. Configure the LAN IP of the asus/tplink router as 192.168.1.253.

2: disable dhcp and set both primary and secondary DNS to 192.168.1.254. Disabling DHCP essentially changes the routing function to AP function.

3: set your preferred ssid and pw

4: enable igmp snooping. If V3 is available, check that.

5: Link up the lan port of the onr to lan port 1 of the router. Link the singtel tv box to lan port 2 of the router. Power up your singtel tv box. It should work be working properly.

Tested routers: asus ac86u and tplink ax23.

The steps should work for most routers which has igmp snooping.

Enjoy.

coldfreeze

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Inked-Floor-Plan-4-Room-Point-Block-LI.jpg

I have Singtel ONR located in the DB box circled in orange. There are 4 ports on the ONR and these 4 ports are connected to the LAN ports in the living room (blue circle) and the bedrooms (red circles).

The blue circle is also where my Singtel Mesh Router and Singtel TV box is located. (ONR -> Living room port -> Singtel Mesh Router -> Singtel TV box) The problem I have is, the single Singtel Mesh Router in the living room can't deliver good wifi to the master bedroom. I tried to use a basic wall plug wifi extender (Dlink DRA-2060 that was configured as an AP) but it doesn't work for me because my devices would rather hold onto a dismal wifi connection, than switchover to a stronger AP.

So I'm looking to replace the Singtel Mesh Router with a mesh solution to extend wifi coverage to every corner. I originally wanted to splurge for the Orbi RBK752, but that mesh doesn't have separate SSID for 2.4 and 5GHz and perhaps also cannot mesh as APs.

Hence I am hoping Asus XD6 would be a better fit for me to fix wifi coverage issues, while still being able to watch Singtel TV.

1. Will I be able to replace the Singtel Mesh Router with the XD6 (at the same blue circle spot), and still be able to watch Singtel TV in the living room?
2. If I place the second XD6 node at Bedroom 2's red circle, connected to the room's lan port, will I have enough coverage for the whole house?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I have Singtel ONR located in the DB box circled in orange. There are 4 ports on the ONR and these 4 ports are connected to the LAN ports in the living room (blue circle) and the bedrooms (red circles).

The blue circle is also where my Singtel Mesh Router and Singtel TV box is located. (ONR -> Living room port -> Singtel Mesh Router -> Singtel TV box) The problem I have is, the single Singtel Mesh Router in the living room can't deliver good wifi to the master bedroom. I tried to use a basic wall plug wifi extender (Dlink DRA-2060 that was configured as an AP) but it doesn't work for me because my devices would rather hold onto a dismal wifi connection, than switchover to a stronger AP.

So I'm looking to replace the Singtel Mesh Router with a mesh solution to extend wifi coverage to every corner. I originally wanted to splurge for the Orbi RBK752, but that mesh doesn't have separate SSID for 2.4 and 5GHz and perhaps also cannot mesh as APs.

Hence I am hoping Asus XD6 would be a better fit for me to fix wifi coverage issues, while still being able to watch Singtel TV.

1. Will I be able to replace the Singtel Mesh Router with the XD6 (at the same blue circle spot), and still be able to watch Singtel TV in the living room?
2. If I place the second XD6 node at Bedroom 2's red circle, connected to the room's lan port, will I have enough coverage for the whole house?

No, you shoud use Netgear Orbi RBK752 and that will work. Asus mesh solution will not work in this case. Orbi mesh works fine in AP mode.

You can keep your Singtel Mesh router to act as an AP for your 2.4GHz legacy client in case there are legacy clients which have problems with the Orbi.

Ref: Netgear Orbi guide for Singtel TV users (for both ONT and ONR users)
https://netgearstore.sg/blogs/knowledge-base/orbi-singtel-tv-vlan-tag

coldfreeze

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
No, you shoud use Netgear Orbi RBK752 and that will work. Asus mesh solution will not work in this case. Orbi mesh works fine in AP mode.

You can keep your Singtel Mesh router to act as an AP for your 2.4GHz legacy client in case there are legacy clients which have problems with the Orbi.

Ref: Netgear Orbi guide for Singtel TV users (for both ONT and ONR users)
https://netgearstore.sg/blogs/knowledge-base/orbi-singtel-tv-vlan-tag

Thanks for the reply. So suppose I replace the Singtel Mesh Router at the blue circle with the primary node of the RBK752. That means that my primary node is connected to my ONR. And I connect the secondary node to the LAN port in Bedroom 2, which also means the secondary node is also connected to my ONR.

In other words, my understanding is that the primary node and the secondary node aren't directly wired to each other (because they are both wired to the ONR). Isn't that not really a mesh? But like 2 APs that happen to have the same SSID? Or would I have mesh when I use wireless backhaul to connect between the nodes of the RBK752 instead?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. So suppose I replace the Singtel Mesh Router at the blue circle with the primary node of the RBK752. That means that my primary node is connected to my ONR. And I connect the secondary node to the LAN port in Bedroom 2, which also means the secondary node is also connected to my ONR.

In other words, my understanding is that the primary node and the secondary node aren't directly wired to each other (because they are both wired to the ONR). Isn't that not really a mesh? But like 2 APs that happen to have the same SSID? Or would I have mesh when I use wireless backhaul to connect between the nodes of the RBK752 instead?

No need to use wireless backhaul. Netgear Orbi supports different Ethernet backhaul option, including connect all the nodes (router and satellites nodes) through a switch. Singtel ONR acts as the main router and the switch here. You need to set the Orbi router to AP mode as well in order for Singtel TV box to work.

Ref: https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/Wh...and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Orbi-3.png

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Recommend to have wired backhaul for your AP/mesh. If you are locating your router at the living room with only one LAN port, check out this set up (Not sure if it will work for Orbi).

Last edited:

coldfreeze

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
No need to use wireless backhaul. Netgear Orbi supports different Ethernet backhaul option, including connect all the nodes (router and satellites nodes) through a switch. Singtel ONR acts as the main router and the switch here. You need to set the Orbi router to AP mode as well in order for Singtel TV box to work.

Ref: https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/Wh...and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Orbi-3.png
Thank you. I can understand now. It looks like if I can use Ethernet backhaul, I think I can save money and get RBK352 (which doesn't have the dedicated wireless backhaul) which is priced at $269 on shopee now

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I can understand now. It looks like if I can use Ethernet backhaul, I think I can save money and get RBK352 (which doesn't have the dedicated wireless backhaul) which is priced at $269 on shopee now

Since you have LAN ports in the rooms, you may want to go with RBK353. RBK352 may not be good enough. You may need one node in the master room.

lonetree

Reaction score
I'm planning to migrate from Starhub Fibre TV to Singtel Fibre TV. I only require the TV service from Singtel, no internet required (as I'm currently using MyRepublic).

I currently have two Starhub Fibre TV set-top boxes at home. Using TP-Link smart switches to do VLAN tagging to pump both MyRepublic (Internet) and Starhub (IPTV) data through structured cabling to reach each of the set-top boxes in different rooms.

Understand that Singtel will be providing a ONR (as compared to ONT from Starhub currently). Wondering if I'm able to use a similar set-up when I migrate over to Singtel?

Please refer to my proposed network diagram / VLAN settings below.

Appreciate any advise (especially from experienced users like miloaisdino)

dCqgD5g.jpg

Hope this thread is still active. I tried with the above configuration on my setup, with a simpler topology, however I am not using ONR, I'm using ONT instead. Both internet and IPTV are from Singtel, and my router is Asus "RT-AC1200G+". The smart switches I use are TL-SG105E & TL-SG2008.

I could get connected to the internet for all devices but couldn't get Singtel TV connected.

Did I missed out anything?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hope this thread is still active. I tried with the above configuration on my setup, with a simpler topology, however I am not using ONR, I'm using ONT instead. Both internet and IPTV are from Singtel, and my router is Asus "RT-AC1200G+". The smart switches I use are TL-SG105E & TL-SG2008.

I could get connected to the internet for all devices but couldn't get Singtel TV connected.

That is totally different use case and require totally different topology. Please post your objective.

creator88

Reaction score

You should explain/describe or draw out your current network layout so that everyone can better understand. Can't tell based on what you have mentioned

lonetree

Reaction score
You should explain/describe or draw out your current network layout so that everyone can better understand. Can't tell based on what you have mentioned
Hi Creator88,

thanks for your reply.

Below appended is my set up.

What I wanted to achieve is to have 1 single structured cable transport LAN, internet and Singtel TV traffic (as seen on the right portion of the diagram).

As I have a NAS, Smart TV and Singtel TV residing at the TV console, and have only 1 LAN point at that location. Running extra structured cabling is too tedious. I read from your other post that you have similar scenario as mine but you are using ONR instead of ONT and both smart switches are TL-SG105E, I use TL-SG2008 for 1 end.

In my situation, I have a ASUS RT-AC1200G+ and port 4 is the only port can be used for Singtel TV.

For this configuration, I am able to get internet connectivity, LAN works, but not Singtel TV.

Any advice?

Home-network-V1.png

creator88

Reaction score
Hi Creator88,

thanks for your reply.

Below appended is my set up.

What I wanted to achieve is to have 1 single structured cable transport LAN, internet and Singtel TV traffic (as seen on the right portion of the diagram).

As I have a NAS, Smart TV and Singtel TV residing at the TV console, and have only 1 LAN point at that location. Running extra structured cabling is too tedious. I read from your other post that you have similar scenario as mine but you are using ONR instead of ONT and both smart switches are TL-SG105E, I use TL-SG2008 for 1 end.

In my situation, I have a ASUS RT-AC1200G+ and port 4 is the only port can be used for Singtel TV.

For this configuration, I am able to get internet connectivity, LAN works, but not Singtel TV.

Any advice?

Home-network-V1.png
It has been a while since I setup my Singtel Fibre TV at home. Haven't touched it in a while since everything has been working fine.

Compared with my previous post, https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/singtel-onr-ap-issues.5778791/post-132822083 , a few things you may wish to try:

- Based on my diagram, I set the "QOS Basic - Port 2 to Priority 4 (Highest)". You may wish to try different QOS priority setting on your two switches

- I am not familiar with TL-SG2008 hence not sure whether it can be used as per the TL-SG105E. But off-hand, I think it should work

- Just to be sure, have you connected your Singtel TV STB directly to Port 4 of your Asus router? Does Singtel TV work?

lonetree

Reaction score
It has been a while since I setup my Singtel Fibre TV at home. Haven't touched it in a while since everything has been working fine.

Compared with my previous post, post-132822083 , a few things you may wish to try:

- Based on my diagram, I set the "QOS Basic - Port 2 to Priority 4 (Highest)". You may wish to try different QOS priority setting on your two switches

- I am not familiar with TL-SG2008 hence not sure whether it can be used as per the TL-SG105E. But off-hand, I think it should work

- Just to be sure, have you connected your Singtel TV STB directly to Port 4 of your Asus router? Does Singtel TV work?
I forgot to mention that I had set port 2 (which on mine is port 4) to Priority 4, however on SG2008, it's a little different, it range from 0 to 3 hence I presume 3 is the highest, so I set to 3, not sure if this is the cause.

I did try direct connect from STB to Asus port 4 and it works, but once I switch back to the proposed settings, it stops working.

Wonder any other users here has the same setup as mine and willing to shed some lights.

I actually read about your post "post-132822083" (sorry I can't post link) past few months and took that as a reference to set up mine, only difference is ONR vs ONT and Asus router, SG105E vs SG2008

Thanks for your reply once again.

creator88

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I had set port 2 (which on mine is port 4) to Priority 4, however on SG2008, it's a little different, it range from 0 to 3 hence I presume 3 is the highest, so I set to 3, not sure if this is the cause.

I did try direct connect from STB to Asus port 4 and it works, but once I switch back to the proposed settings, it stops working.

Wonder any other users here has the same setup as mine and willing to shed some lights.

I actually read about your post "post-132822083" (sorry I can't post link) past few months and took that as a reference to set up mine, only difference is ONR vs ONT and Asus router, SG105E vs SG2008

Thanks for your reply once again.
I can't remember the logic behind my QOS priority settings. But you might want to try different permutations.

Since Router -> Port 7 of SG2008, maybe on SG2008, you can set priority for Port 7 to highest?

Basically play around with the QOS priorities on Port 7 & 8 on SG2008, and Port 4 and5 on SG105E

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.