Speakers Dilemma!

RedSuns85

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2005
Messages
583
Reaction score
0
Hi, I am currently having some problem with my creative speaker , with creative extreme gamer sound card. The sound goes suddenly soft and after few minutes go back to normal again with it is damm disturbing. Are we encountering the same issue ? I am using creative 5.1 T6100
 

DraXiE

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2002
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Since you made up your mind to get the BOSE, then you use already and post your reviews. :D

Most of us can't or do not want to buy BOSE.

hmm.. i noticed that there's minimal mention about the big brand BOSE.
is it a taboo brand here in the HWZ Forums?

I may not be an audiophile but the quality from the Companion 3 or even 2 is undeniable.
It's easy on the eyes though the price is quite steep.

Well.. Me saying i'm not an audiophile is quite an overstatement..
I'm an audio-idiot..
I have a creative 5.1 from half a decade ago and I thought it would be good for music appreciation.. Go figure.. LOL..

I'm thinking of getting a solid sound system with good bass (i'm really impressed by the punch from the bass Bose has to offer), as i'm a bassist, under $500 (Cheaper and Better is a definite plus point!)
A simple set up is very desirable as i'm a tech noob as much as a com noob..
(I just like good audio quality!)

Priority wise would be:-
1. Music (Ranging from alternative and metal to hip hop and elctronica)
2. Movies
3. Gaming

I've been scanning this thread and seems like AudioEngine and Ageo as well as good ol' Creative and AltecLansing are pretty much the talk of the town..
can anyone enlighten this ignorant noob who thinks Bose is the best?
 

wwenze

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
86,764
Reaction score
30,379
hmm.. i noticed that there's minimal mention about the big brand BOSE.
is it a taboo brand here in the HWZ Forums?

I may not be an audiophile but the quality from the Companion 3 or even 2 is undeniable.
It's easy on the eyes though the price is quite steep.

Well.. Me saying i'm not an audiophile is quite an overstatement..
I'm an audio-idiot..
I have a creative 5.1 from half a decade ago and I thought it would be good for music appreciation.. Go figure.. LOL..

I'm thinking of getting a solid sound system with good bass (i'm really impressed by the punch from the bass Bose has to offer), as i'm a bassist, under $500 (Cheaper and Better is a definite plus point!)
A simple set up is very desirable as i'm a tech noob as much as a com noob..
(I just like good audio quality!)

Priority wise would be:-
1. Music (Ranging from alternative and metal to hip hop and elctronica)
2. Movies
3. Gaming

I've been scanning this thread and seems like AudioEngine and Ageo as well as good ol' Creative and AltecLansing are pretty much the talk of the town..
can anyone enlighten this ignorant noob who thinks Bose is the best?

I'll be frank...

When people ask for what's best for their money, other people tell them what's best for their money. And Bose is never best for the money.

Not really a taboo like in other forums, where "guy who mention Bose" = omgwtfnoob. A few had tried mentioning Bose and escaped with minimal flaming. It's just not being talked about.

Since u're a bassist, I suggest bookshelves coz 2.1 doesn't do any justice to bass guitars. Stretch ur budget a bit, go for AudioEngine 5 @ $580.
 

DraXiE

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2002
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
wow.. that is steep!

but if it is really what you all say it is then maybe it's really worth eating grass for a month..
the reason i mentioned that i'm a bassist earlier is because i'm just very particular abt bass..
i already have an amp for my bass guitar..

the bass for my com doesn't have to just register on the richter scale but it has to be crisp, powerful and pack a punch..

okok..
so on my hitlist there's the AudioEngine 5 which i'm really warming up to..
anymore suggestions?
below $500?
and where do I find these speakers?
 

wwenze

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
86,764
Reaction score
30,379
How about Infinity Primus 160, less than $300 at Audio House, if they still got stock.

Passive so need to buy another amp. But as speakers it pwns lots of things for its price. Cheap $200 China amp will do.

I'm also very particular about bass also, especially when it comes to the linear response of the bass guitar at different notes. As well as the striking sounds of guitars and percussions. :)
And that's why I mentioned AE5 because it has a good balance of both; 2.1 = bass guitar messed-up, weak 2.0 bookshelves = not enough bass kick.
 
Last edited:

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
6,906
Reaction score
3,618
If wanna get a good 2.0 for PC usage. Can consider getting studio monitors from Parklane audio shop, Sinamex. There are more variety for 2.0 choices. They allow auditions too. Dun just listen to reviews, go give a listening audition there. The shop attendent will be more than willing for you to try it out before buying. But be warned that some models are very expensive and are used for proffessional music mixing. So get within your budget. And one thing to note, monitors are generally flat and accurate. So may not appeal to some. Pls try before buying. :)

If you not just using it for music, get a 2.1 from Altec, should be much cheaper.

I'm using M-audio LX4 2.1 for my computer, EOL ore though. ;)

Hope it helps.
 

thesingingbard

Master Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
3,133
Reaction score
0
i second the 2.0 studio monitor speakers option. In fact, you can check SLS shops... it can be as low as $150. Too bad I oredi bought a 2.1 recently, else I really would like to give these a try.

Btw, I've a question... i realized if i pump up my volume control on the PC while lower my speaker volume, the SQ sucks. But if i pump up my speaker volume (i.e. amps) but lower the volume control on the PC, SQ improves a lot. Why's that? (sorry if this appears to be a dumb qn) :look:
 

wwenze

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
86,764
Reaction score
30,379
i second the 2.0 studio monitor speakers option. In fact, you can check SLS shops... it can be as low as $150. Too bad I oredi bought a 2.1 recently, else I really would like to give these a try.

Btw, I've a question... i realized if i pump up my volume control on the PC while lower my speaker volume, the SQ sucks. But if i pump up my speaker volume (i.e. amps) but lower the volume control on the PC, SQ improves a lot. Why's that? (sorry if this appears to be a dumb qn) :look:

Cuz ur speaker draws more current than the source can provide causing it to clip. Lower the volume or use a preamp.

Which studio monitor is $150 and can be found in SLS?
 

thesingingbard

Master Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
3,133
Reaction score
0
Cuz ur speaker draws more current than the source can provide causing it to clip. Lower the volume or use a preamp.

Which studio monitor is $150 and can be found in SLS?

the one i saw was Behringer MS16, but then i wasn't really looking for speakers so there might be something even cheaper models.

btw, does it matter if my speakers are active speakers (not sure if that's what they're called)? i.e. it comes with a built-in amp. So, what you're saying is there isn't enough current from the signal output on the sound card to the speaker amps? Btw, do you think sound quality would improve with a preamp? If so, where can I get one? And what's the price of an average model?
 

wwenze

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
86,764
Reaction score
30,379
the one i saw was Behringer MS16, but then i wasn't really looking for speakers so there might be something even cheaper models.

btw, does it matter if my speakers are active speakers (not sure if that's what they're called)? i.e. it comes with a built-in amp. So, what you're saying is there isn't enough current from the signal output on the sound card to the speaker amps? Btw, do you think sound quality would improve with a preamp? If so, where can I get one? And what's the price of an average model?

Behringer MS 16... oh... kay...

Ya, there isn't enuff output from sound card to speaker amp. I'd say it's quite rare, although I've had it happen twice. Both from badly designed sources of course.

But... just remembered another more probable reason. You speaker amp may have lower input voltage sensitivity than what your soundcard is outputting, so, it clips.

Aiya juz lower the volume since it solves the problem.
 

thesingingbard

Master Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
3,133
Reaction score
0
Behringer MS 16... oh... kay...

Ya, there isn't enuff output from sound card to speaker amp. I'd say it's quite rare, although I've had it happen twice. Both from badly designed sources of course.

But... just remembered another more probable reason. You speaker amp may have lower input voltage sensitivity than what your soundcard is outputting, so, it clips.

Aiya juz lower the volume since it solves the problem.

oic... tks for the advise, actually I'm okay with lowering the PC volume while maxing out the speaker amps... Just wanna to know the reason for the 'clips' (so that's what it's called).

I kinda suspect it the 2nd reason put forward by you, coz my soundcard has a 4-pin floppy power connected to it.
 

wwenze

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
86,764
Reaction score
30,379
oic... tks for the advise, actually I'm okay with lowering the PC volume while maxing out the speaker amps... Just wanna to know the reason for the 'clips' (so that's what it's called).

I kinda suspect it the 2nd reason put forward by you, coz my soundcard has a 4-pin floppy power connected to it.

Must be some powerful sound card long before my time. (either that or Xonar DX)

You connecting to ur speaker using speaker out or line out?
 
Last edited:

thesingingbard

Master Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
3,133
Reaction score
0
Must be some powerful sound card long before my time. (either that or Xonar DX)

You connecting to ur speaker using speaker out or line out?

=:p Xonar DX. Speakers connected to "Front Out", i assumed that's Front Speakers Out.
 

anqiang

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2004
Messages
8,136
Reaction score
0
if i'm more into gaming , movies then music ..

get T40 series II or Aego M ??

i'm only looking at 2.0 or 2.1 setups .. From my understanding here , Aego M is more for those movies and music lovers , but T40 better for gaming rite ??
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top