Starhub Giga

Notbbfa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2017
Messages
17,773
Reaction score
9,859
their team jin jialat, website now unable to report their telco issue (will show 'error' after clicking submit) and Giga is not responding to their emails and social media
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,335
Reaction score
12,301
1. Singtel Gomo and heya and the new Singtel hi! 4G postpaid plans (replacement for heya) have very clear differentiations. Now Gomo has added Data Bank functon to further differentiate from Singtel hi! 4G postpaid plans.
https://www.gomo.sg/market-rewards

2. Starhub giga and Starhub eight seem to have not very clear differentiations. The free rollover data feature is not really useful for most of the users.

Just wondering why people would stick to giga and not to eight.

giga 5G S$18.33 plan --> eight 5G S$14.8 plan (better roaming data bundle and free voice roaming)
giga 4G S$10.19 plan --> eight 4G S$8 plan (better roaming data bundle and free voice roaming)

My colleague has giga S$15.28 plan with free 5G. He likes the roaming bundle.
• 300GB, FREE 5G Speeds forever!
• Free Rollover Data
• 300 SMS, 300 mins
• 8GB Asia Roaming forever

Then I show him Eight 5G plan at S$14.28. He agrees that Eight has much better roaming bundle, even better than giga S$18.33 5G plan.
Just wondering any main benefits of giga versus Eight?

1) Free rollover data? I think this is not that useful now with big data bundle.

2) giga 5G has better priority than Eight 5G?

3) Better support?

4) Any other factors to keep you in giga and not consider Eight?

Take note Eight Telecom is a fully owned subsidiary of StarHub.
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,335
Reaction score
12,301
I can think of one benefit comparing giga with eight: potentially better roaming partner network (eg: 5G versus 4G, even when using the same roaming partner).

I bought giga China data eSIM for testing. It could connect to China Mobile 5G network. I will assume that normal giga plan would be able to connect to China Mobile 5G network. But this needs confirmation from the users here.

eight 4G plan can only connect to China Mobile 4G network. Not so sure about eight 5G plan users.

BTW, SingTel SIM Only plan and Gomo 5G plans can connect to China Mobile 5G network.
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,335
Reaction score
12,301
I can think of one benefit comparing giga with eight: potentially better roaming partner network (eg: 5G versus 4G, even when using the same roaming partner).

I bought giga China data eSIM for testing. It could connect to China Mobile 5G network. I will assume that normal giga plan would be able to connect to China Mobile 5G network. But this needs confirmation from the users here.

eight 4G plan can only connect to China Mobile 4G network. Not so sure about eight 5G plan users.

BTW, SingTel SIM Only plan and Gomo 5G plans can connect to China Mobile 5G network.

eight 5G roaming in China can connect to China Mobile 5G network.

So this means giga may not have better roaming network than eight.

I was in Shandong, China the past week roaming with eight 5G and ZYM 5G.

Both lines roaming on China Mobile 5G and China Unicom 5G respectively.

I'd say the roaming experience is solid and reliable although 5G is not always available depending on where we travel to.
 

Crimsom

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2003
Messages
9,278
Reaction score
1,700
My colleague has giga S$15.28 plan with free 5G. He likes the roaming bundle.
• 300GB, FREE 5G Speeds forever!
• Free Rollover Data
• 300 SMS, 300 mins
• 8GB Asia Roaming forever

Then I show him Eight 5G plan at S$14.28. He agrees that Eight has much better roaming bundle, even better than giga S$18.33 5G plan.
Just wondering any main benefits of giga versus Eight?

1) Free rollover data? I think this is not that useful now with big data bundle.

2) giga 5G has better priority than Eight 5G?

3) Better support?

4) Any other factors to keep you in giga and not consider Eight?

Take note Eight Telecom is a fully owned subsidiary of StarHub.

Just saw that eight's international roaming has more destinations than giga.

Example there are some smaller European destinations that is covered by eight but not giga.

But i think giga is quite comprehensive already to cover the places most singaporeans will go.

Ultimately, 1 less reason to stay with giga.
 

froztheart

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2012
Messages
9,569
Reaction score
4,177
Just saw that eight's international roaming has more destinations than giga.

Example there are some smaller European destinations that is covered by eight but not giga.

But i think giga is quite comprehensive already to cover the places most singaporeans will go.

Ultimately, 1 less reason to stay with giga.
To me now for Eight, using more for roaming usage just like SIMBA than in SG since it's pretty bad locally. :o
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,335
Reaction score
12,301
My colleague and his wife converted two S$15.28 5G lines to eight S$14.8 5G plan. They like the better roaming benefits and they feel no differences for local usage now.

Both giga 5G and eight 5G are okay for their local usage but eight offers better roaming benefits including free roaming voice call.

After I showed the benefits of eight roaming compared to giga roaming, my colleague converted his giga 5G S$15.28 plan to eight 5G S$14.8 plan.

The conversion took less than one hour.

I actually ask him to keep his wife's giga S$15.28 plan to see if there are any differences. But he converted his wife's line as well.

I was asking him whether he felt any differences between giga 5G and eight 5G for local usage. He told me he did not feel any differences now.
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,335
Reaction score
12,301
shoppe giga has a China esim 5 days with 10GB per day at $19.7, quite worth it i think.
not sure if its 4g or 5g though? anyone knows?

I bought the giga 5 day 1GB total China eSIM for testing in Dec 2025. It could connect to China Mobile 5G NSA. It was the cheapest way to test giga China eSIM so I bought it at S$1.86 (usual price S$3).

My other three SIM cards can only connect to 4G network in China. Take note I was testing and in reality I did not need so much redudancy. In the end I will only keep eight S$8 plan and I will buy Shopee eSIM as the secondary.

eight S$8 4G plan --> China Mobile 4G
CUniq S$9.9 4G plan --> China Unicom 4G (plan terminated)
SIMBA S$12 plan --> China Telecom 4G (plann terminated)
 

Lykadr

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2012
Messages
53
Reaction score
8
Is anyone experiencing slowness?

I don't know about slowness but I seem to be experiencing lack of connectivity so I came here to check with others. My apps kept giving messages indicating I have no internet connection or behaves like there is no internet connection. This is very erratic and I have tried restarting the phone a few times but nothing has changed.
 

uncle_josh

Master Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2018
Messages
3,128
Reaction score
772
I don't know about slowness but I seem to be experiencing lack of connectivity so I came here to check with others. My apps kept giving messages indicating I have no internet connection or behaves like there is no internet connection. This is very erratic and I have tried restarting the phone a few times but nothing has changed.
Change to private dns
eg dns.adguard.com
Starhub is well known for their dns issues.
 

Lykadr

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2012
Messages
53
Reaction score
8
Change to private dns
eg dns.adguard.com
Starhub is well known for their dns issues.

I tried various dns servers like adguard, google, cloudfare. I keep getting a "couldn't connect" message. Is it my phone or am I doing it wrong? I have an Oppo Find N3.

Edit: Works now. Had to restart phone. Thanks for the tip.
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top