StarHub MaxInfinity Fiber Optic - Experience

furryballs

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2014
Messages
14,052
Reaction score
1,024
I on 1Gbps StarHub plan... Local speeds not even 10% of what's promised.

DGzXZTQ.jpg


anyone can give ideas on how to troubleshoot the reason? Which part can be the bottleneck?

TP -> ONT -> Powerline Adaptor (1000Mbps, TP-Link TL-PA7020P) -> Router (Dlink DIR868L) -> Wireless N Laptop (2.4Ghz)
 

Buzztiger

Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2004
Messages
394
Reaction score
1
I on 1Gbps StarHub plan... Local speeds not even 10% of what's promised.

DGzXZTQ.jpg


anyone can give ideas on how to troubleshoot the reason? Which part can be the bottleneck?

TP -> ONT -> Powerline Adaptor (1000Mbps, TP-Link TL-PA7020P) -> Router (Dlink DIR868L) -> Wireless N Laptop (2.4Ghz)

Could you connect ONT to ur router with cable instead of powerline adaptor to test. This way can eliminate the powerline adaptor as the culprit. Sometimes powerline interference or if the quality of wiring is not good it can cause such slow speed which was the case for me.
 
Last edited:

furryballs

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2014
Messages
14,052
Reaction score
1,024
Could you connect ONT to ur router with cable instead of powerline adaptor to test. This way can eliminate the powerline adaptor as the culprit. Sometimes powerline interference or if the quality of wiring is not good it can cause such slow speed which was the case for me.

Okie okie will try this tonight! Hope to find out why...
 

Bieffe

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2001
Messages
6,021
Reaction score
50
I on 1Gbps StarHub plan... Local speeds not even 10% of what's promised.

DGzXZTQ.jpg


anyone can give ideas on how to troubleshoot the reason? Which part can be the bottleneck?

TP -> ONT -> Powerline Adaptor (1000Mbps, TP-Link TL-PA7020P) -> Router (Dlink DIR868L) -> Wireless N Laptop (2.4Ghz)
Is definitely the powerline adaptor. No matter what brand or make or standard all these extender/repeater/adaptors will almost always half your bandwidth or there abouts.
Your case super super reduced. Wifi by N or AC also u max will get abt 150mbps...more u will need to have router insight. Will never hit 300mbps even.
 

Bieffe

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2001
Messages
6,021
Reaction score
50
Is definitely the powerline adaptor. No matter what brand or make or standard all these extender/repeater/adaptors will almost always half your bandwidth or there abouts.
Your case super super reduced. Wifi by N or AC also u max will get abt 150mbps...more u will need to have router insight. Will never hit 300mbps even.
having the router after the ONT then adaptor to ur room then...wireless will be better I feel. cos the drop are always at these adaptors.
 

Buzztiger

Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2004
Messages
394
Reaction score
1
Hi, could anyone on Starhub fiber share their speedtest result to a USA server and Japan server ? Thinking of jumping ship to starhub. Thanks in advance.


I have also seen quite a few complains that starhub fiber keeps getting disconnected and downtime is common on their facebook page. Do you guys experience this ?
 
Last edited:

furryballs

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2014
Messages
14,052
Reaction score
1,024
Feel I kenna con into signing 1G... I am always connected through wifi... No way I can hit 1G speeds
 

kelvinti

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2009
Messages
23,271
Reaction score
2,435
Actually, 500mpbs is more than enough. :)

I have 5 persons in the house online constantly.

That's I only signed up the 500mbps. Kekeke.
 
Last edited:

Hidit69

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2008
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
1
Feel I kenna con into signing 1G... I am always connected through wifi... No way I can hit 1G speeds

That's why you must always ask yourself all the relevant questions.

Do I need this much speed?
Do I even have any devices connected directly via LAN?

If you did, would have saved yourself. Most people are guilty of these when they signed up the top/mid end plan when low end is more than enough. Then at the end complain cannot get 1 Gbps.

If there's like 10 people in the house using wifi then okay lah. Better since you need the bandwidth.
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
Feel I kenna con into signing 1G... I am always connected through wifi... No way I can hit 1G speeds

if u want 1GBps on WiFi, buy yourself 2 giant satellite dish connect to your router and WiFi device and make sure u bring along when ever you move between rooms :s13:
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
but tbh I wonder is there any device or router really can send and received 1GBps of data instantly, even if able for now, your device probably will burn you :s13:
 
Last edited:

Bieffe

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2001
Messages
6,021
Reaction score
50
Feel I kenna con into signing 1G... I am always connected through wifi... No way I can hit 1G speeds
If you are paying more than b4 then you don't get 100% benefit.
Since you already paid and they gave you a new router...why no consider reposition to make full use of the bandwidth.
Or get newer AC standard adaptors for your laptop so you can get the best possible bandwidth.
Actually non gamers cant tell the diff between 300Mbps and 1Gbps....even ppl who stream videos...as is server dependent too.
I will suggest dropping the power plug adaptor 1st. And to try what is like to be on 1Gbps....go get a long LAN cable and go direct...test speed then use...see if you 'feel" the diff or not.....u will surprise and don't want wifi anymore!
LAN cable get CAT 6 or CAT 7 hor.
 

izinc

Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2000
Messages
132
Reaction score
0
Can I check if it's possible to use erlite router for starhub broadband? Ubiquiti Er-lite.
 

melvinchen

Master Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2000
Messages
4,144
Reaction score
35
Feel I kenna con into signing 1G... I am always connected through wifi... No way I can hit 1G speeds

Currently there are no wireless routers or clients that is capable hitting 1GBPS.

The only way you can enjoy 1GBPS is to lay cat 6 Ethernet cables in your home.
 

furryballs

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2014
Messages
14,052
Reaction score
1,024
So was it your powerline adapter that caused the slow speeds ?

Managed to hit 350mbps with this setup:
ONT -> Router (Dlink DIR868L) -> iphone (wireless AC 5Ghz)

So the bottleneck was the powerline segment.
But here comes the problem... My TP is at one corner of the flat, bedroom is on the other corner. I have no idea how to get the signal over without using powerline.

I was using a TP-link Archer C20. Not sure if it can be used as a repeater, and not sure if the repeater will half my 350Mbps bandwidth...
 
Last edited:

furryballs

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2014
Messages
14,052
Reaction score
1,024
Currently there are no wireless routers or clients that is capable hitting 1GBPS.

The only way you can enjoy 1GBPS is to lay cat 6 Ethernet cables in your home.
Ah... Thanks for the info.... Think 1G is only useful for multiple concurrent users
 

furryballs

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2014
Messages
14,052
Reaction score
1,024
If you are paying more than b4 then you don't get 100% benefit.
Since you already paid and they gave you a new router...why no consider reposition to make full use of the bandwidth.
Or get newer AC standard adaptors for your laptop so you can get the best possible bandwidth.
Actually non gamers cant tell the diff between 300Mbps and 1Gbps....even ppl who stream videos...as is server dependent too.
I will suggest dropping the power plug adaptor 1st. And to try what is like to be on 1Gbps....go get a long LAN cable and go direct...test speed then use...see if you 'feel" the diff or not.....u will surprise and don't want wifi anymore!
LAN cable get CAT 6 or CAT 7 hor.

Pulling cable is really not an option... I trying to minimise such work... Coz to reach a room in the middle of the flat, I most probably need to drill a through hole through the wall - the door cannot close with the cable... I was researching on flat cables, but it seems interference is a concern... So now I can only think of these options;
1) get a Super strong router and place at ONT which is at corner of the flat. Even then I dunno if the signal is strong enough to reach a point which is diagonally opposite the flat
2) powerline to place the router in middle of the flat
3) use a repeater (but I think the StarHub router will have problem reaching the middle of the flat, from where the ONT is)
 

chuppachop

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2006
Messages
763
Reaction score
17
Checking for someone, for re-contracting to HomeHub 1000, do they get the free router?Or use existing one? Thanks in advance.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top