StarHub MaxInfinity Fiber Optic - Experience

melvinchen

Master Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2000
Messages
4,144
Reaction score
35
I agree. Ironically,the previously DLINK 865L router that was given for my 100mbps fibre has faster speed and longer range. Still using that today for my 200mbps fibre. They can give the promised speeds if u r on cable. But when it comes to routers,I guess the best is to get one on ur own if u wan best speeds and range....

I feel also no pt signing for 1gbps and complaining can't gt promised speeds cus wireless can't hit that speed? Its more of a trouble I feel....

I feel that starhub fibre is ok,jus dun expect too much from them. In recent years promotions are getting less attractive and tempting. In fact their attitude now is either u take it or leave it,unlike in previous years which they will go all out to woo customers with attractive benefits,freebies etc....

I'm staying on cus of hubclub,my parents wants to subscribe to cable tv,and all hp services get discount with it. In fact the recent PC show I saw viewquest has got quite good deals of $42/mth 1gbps fibre plan. With the advent of IPTV and android tv boxes,I guess its time to say goodbye to cable tv...


First of all currently there are no equipment in the market that is capable of hitting 1GBPS via wireless. Although on paper 802.11AC is able hit 1.3GBPS and to achieve such speed there are some conditions need to be met.

1. The PC/MAC/Tablet/Smartphone must be equipped with a radio that is based on 802.11AC standards.

2. The equipment must have enough space to accommodate a wifi chip that has 4 spatial stream most laptops and mobile devices in the market has 2 spatial stream. That also explains why mobile devices will never hit more than 300mbps.

3. The devices must be on 5Ghz network with strong signals.
 

Blackmel

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2008
Messages
1,181
Reaction score
0
Hello! I need confirmation that the D-Link DIR-865L is superior to the D-Link DIR-850L currently offered by Starhub.

I spoke to a CSA earlier and she was adamant that the DIR-850L was superior to the DIR-865L. But from what I've gathered, the DIR-850L is an AC1200 router, while the DIR-865L is an AC1750 router. For a 1Gbps connection, should I continue to use the DIR-865L or setup the DIR-850L?

On another note, I'm experiencing dismal signal strength in a zone hindered by a steel beam structure. Should I improve the signal by upgrading to a better router, install a range extender like the TP-Link RE450 or a pair of powerline adapter? I am wary of a powerline adapter setup as the house is almost two decades old.
 
Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
17,512
Reaction score
19
Hello! I need confirmation that the D-Link DIR-865L is superior to the D-Link DIR-850L currently offered by Starhub.

I spoke to a CSA earlier and she was adamant that the DIR-850L was superior to the DIR-865L. But from what I've gathered, the DIR-850L is an AC1200 router, while the DIR-865L is an AC1750 router. For a 1Gbps connection, should I continue to use the DIR-865L or setup the DIR-850L?

On another note, I'm experiencing dismal signal strength in a zone hindered by a steel beam structure. Should I improve the signal by upgrading to a better router, install a range extender like the TP-Link RE450 or a pair of powerline adapter? I am wary of a powerline adapter setup as the house is almost two decades old.

865L is indeed better than 850L in terms of specs.. real life performance, i guess I'm in no position to comment since i never used it before..

You might wanna try re-positioning the router to another area? steel structures are likely to bounce off the signal, thus producing weak signal situation..
 

Blackmel

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2008
Messages
1,181
Reaction score
0
865L is indeed better than 850L in terms of specs.. real life performance, i guess I'm in no position to comment since i never used it before..

You might wanna try re-positioning the router to another area? steel structures are likely to bounce off the signal, thus producing weak signal situation..
I'm grateful for the confirmation, Renfred. The router is situated at a central location, but the impact of the structure was severely underestimated.

I favour the installation of a range extender on an adjacent room to circumvent the structure, while keeping a minimal footprint. Especially the TP-Link RE450 for its elegant execution and FastLane technology that reduces the conventional speed loss occur in range extenders. If necessary, I'll purchase a higher-end router to complement its performance. After all, the DIR-865L is getting on.

Is this a judicious choice? What is your current setup?

Thank you so much, Renfred!
 

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
17,512
Reaction score
19
I'm grateful for the confirmation, Renfred. The router is situated at a central location, but the impact of the structure was severely underestimated.

I favour the installation of a range extender on an adjacent room to circumvent the structure, while keeping a minimal footprint. Especially the TP-Link RE450 for its elegant execution and FastLane technology that reduces the conventional speed loss occur in range extenders. If necessary, I'll purchase a higher-end router to complement its performance. After all, the DIR-865L is getting on.

Is this a judicious choice? What is your current setup?

Thank you so much, Renfred!

i'm just offering some thoughts and i guess all the other users are doing it for fellow forumers as well.. :)

my home is covered well with an asus ac3200 placed at slightly above knee level in the living room, and i can get optimal coverage and speed on both bands in all areas of the house, besides the service balcony. it doesn't matter cos i won't be at service balcony anyway.. of course the signal strength is not full at all areas but at least it serves the needs of streaming 4K resolution videos and internet surfing..

with regards to your intention to use a repeater, then i guess you need to find out a place where you know the signal strength is good from the router, so that you can extend the coverage beyond the steel structures. However, i am not optimistic in using a better wifi router/repeater to circumvent the limitation of the environment because i feel that no matter what you do, its still likely to be the same since physics theory cannot be changed. a better wifi router will only mean better signal strength but it also means more signal will get bounced off from the steel structures, makes sense? :D

My another suggestion is for you to place the router higher up, hopefully it works..
 

Blackmel

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2008
Messages
1,181
Reaction score
0
i'm just offering some thoughts and i guess all the other users are doing it for fellow forumers as well.. :)

my home is covered well with an asus ac3200 placed at slightly above knee level in the living room, and i can get optimal coverage and speed on both bands in all areas of the house, besides the service balcony. it doesn't matter cos i won't be at service balcony anyway.. of course the signal strength is not full at all areas but at least it serves the needs of streaming 4K resolution videos and internet surfing..

with regards to your intention to use a repeater, then i guess you need to find out a place where you know the signal strength is good from the router, so that you can extend the coverage beyond the steel structures. However, i am not optimistic in using a better wifi router/repeater to circumvent the limitation of the environment because i feel that no matter what you do, its still likely to be the same since physics theory cannot be changed. a better wifi router will only mean better signal strength but it also means more signal will get bounced off from the steel structures, makes sense? :D

My another suggestion is for you to place the router higher up, hopefully it works..
Yes, more so on the 5Ghz band. I'll definitely bear in mind the advice on router placement as I attempt to fix this matter. Thank you, Renfred!
 

faithsilence

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2002
Messages
6,716
Reaction score
48
Got a letter to re-contract my 100mbps cable to a 200mbps fibre line. As I will be using my own router, do I still need to get Starhub to direct ONT? Read here, now all new sign-ups are direct ONT and can use any routers.

http://community.starhub.com/t5/MaxInfinity-Fibre-BroadBand/Direct-ONT/td-p/122063

I need a data point in the master bed room, so I just need to get SH or like the various contacts given here earlier to install data points in the room, right?
 

jeffrey745

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2008
Messages
12,765
Reaction score
1,590
Hello! I need confirmation that the D-Link DIR-865L is superior to the D-Link DIR-850L currently offered by Starhub.

I spoke to a CSA earlier and she was adamant that the DIR-850L was superior to the DIR-865L. But from what I've gathered, the DIR-850L is an AC1200 router, while the DIR-865L is an AC1750 router. For a 1Gbps connection, should I continue to use the DIR-865L or setup the DIR-850L?

On another note, I'm experiencing dismal signal strength in a zone hindered by a steel beam structure. Should I improve the signal by upgrading to a better router, install a range extender like the TP-Link RE450 or a pair of powerline adapter? I am wary of a powerline adapter setup as the house is almost two decades old.
Yes I can confirm with u DIR 865L is better than DIR 850L... I have both routers n did comparison,realised that 865L have better range and higher speeds,in 2.4ghz and 5ghz... on places that the 865l could reach(wifi signal) ,the 850 could not,and speeds were very slow... in the end I used the old router again...
 

Blackmel

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2008
Messages
1,181
Reaction score
0
Yes I can confirm with u DIR 865L is better than DIR 850L... I have both routers n did comparison,realised that 865L have better range and higher speeds,in 2.4ghz and 5ghz... on places that the 865l could reach(wifi signal) ,the 850 could not,and speeds were very slow... in the end I used the old router again...
Thank you so much Jeffrey! My 1Gbps plan was activated yesterday and have continue to use the DIR-865L.

My wired speed is between 800-1000Mbps, while my wireless speed is between 350-400Mbps regardless of the proximity between clients and router. Clients are AC1750-1900 adapters, while the router is an AC1750 D-Link DIR-865L.

Will upgrading to a better router provide higher wireless speed? E.g. TP-Link Archer C8/C9, Netgear R6400/r7000 or Asus RT-AC66/68U.
 

melvinchen

Master Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2000
Messages
4,144
Reaction score
35
Thank you so much Jeffrey! My 1Gbps plan was activated yesterday and have continue to use the DIR-865L.

My wired speed is between 800-1000Mbps, while my wireless speed is between 350-400Mbps regardless of the proximity between clients and router. Clients are AC1750-1900 adapters, while the router is an AC1750 D-Link DIR-865L.

Will upgrading to a better router provide higher wireless speed? E.g. TP-Link Archer C8/C9, Netgear R6400/r7000 or Asus RT-AC66/68U.

That also depends on the number of radios on the device... Currently there are no device in the market that is able to support 1GBPS on wireless.
 

Blackmel

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2008
Messages
1,181
Reaction score
0
That also depends on the number of radios on the device... Currently there are no device in the market that is able to support 1GBPS on wireless.
I wouldn't dare ask for a 1Gbps wifi, since the speed hovers on 800-1000Mbps wired. I am wondering if a better router will get me above 400-800Mbps wirelessly.

It is rather underwhelming since I was hitting 300Mbps wirelessly on a 300Mbps plan and now only hitting under 400Mbps wirelessly on a 1Gbps plan. Clients/Devices are mostly AC1750-1900 ready.

So it is likely to see an increase in wireless throughput or is 400Mbps the ceiling for a 1Gbps plan? Alternatively, to users on a 1Gbps plan and use an AC1750-1900 wireless client, what speed are you getting and what router are you using?
 

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
17,512
Reaction score
19
I wouldn't dare ask for a 1Gbps wifi, since the speed hovers on 800-1000Mbps wired. I am wondering if a better router will get me above 400-800Mbps wirelessly.

It is rather underwhelming since I was hitting 300Mbps wirelessly on a 300Mbps plan and now only hitting under 400Mbps wirelessly on a 1Gbps plan. Clients/Devices are mostly AC1750-1900 ready.

So it is likely to see an increase in wireless throughput or is 400Mbps the ceiling for a 1Gbps plan? Alternatively, to users on a 1Gbps plan and use an AC1750-1900 wireless client, what speed are you getting and what router are you using?

my macbook pro retina mid 2014 model is also ac1900 ready, i'm now using it on asus ac3200.

on 5Ghz, 80Mhz bandwidth and an empty channel, my macbook can cruise at 500+ to 600ish mbps download at link rate of 1300mbps.

never seen anything higher before. but of cos, 5Ghz degrades with distance.

Right now as I type, my link rate is only 878mbps as i have a wall in between, and now the speed is roughly 300ish..

Just for your information, wireless clients with stated wifi ac speed is not their actual attainable speed, its all about their hardware and software optimisation.. I have a note 5, which is a wifi ac 2x2 client, but only managed to obtain about 270ish for download despite it connected at 866mbps.
 

melvinchen

Master Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2000
Messages
4,144
Reaction score
35
my macbook pro retina mid 2014 model is also ac1900 ready, i'm now using it on asus ac3200.

on 5Ghz, 80Mhz bandwidth and an empty channel, my macbook can cruise at 500+ to 600ish mbps download at link rate of 1300mbps.

never seen anything higher before. but of cos, 5Ghz degrades with distance.

Right now as I type, my link rate is only 878mbps as i have a wall in between, and now the speed is roughly 300ish..

Just for your information, wireless clients with stated wifi ac speed is not their actual attainable speed, its all about their hardware and software optimisation.. I have a note 5, which is a wifi ac 2x2 client, but only managed to obtain about 270ish for download despite it connected at 866mbps.


You're technically right but most people wouldn't know and the ISP can't be bothered to explain to the consumers and they rather let the consumers flood the call center with calls and support tickets.
 

Hidit69

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2008
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
1
Got a letter to re-contract my 100mbps cable to a 200mbps fibre line. As I will be using my own router, do I still need to get Starhub to direct ONT? Read here, now all new sign-ups are direct ONT and can use any routers.

http://community.starhub.com/t5/MaxInfinity-Fibre-BroadBand/Direct-ONT/td-p/122063

I need a data point in the master bed room, so I just need to get SH or like the various contacts given here earlier to install data points in the room, right?

You should have an installation appointment for the technician to install your ONT. He should be providing a router but you can just install your own later.
& yes, all new sign-ups or so should be direct ONT.

Data point wise, it might be better to find your own. If you're getting Starhub to do it, assuming they have such a service, it might not be cheap.
 

Blackmel

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2008
Messages
1,181
Reaction score
0
my macbook pro retina mid 2014 model is also ac1900 ready, i'm now using it on asus ac3200.

on 5Ghz, 80Mhz bandwidth and an empty channel, my macbook can cruise at 500+ to 600ish mbps download at link rate of 1300mbps.

never seen anything higher before. but of cos, 5Ghz degrades with distance.

Right now as I type, my link rate is only 878mbps as i have a wall in between, and now the speed is roughly 300ish..

Just for your information, wireless clients with stated wifi ac speed is not their actual attainable speed, its all about their hardware and software optimisation.. I have a note 5, which is a wifi ac 2x2 client, but only managed to obtain about 270ish for download despite it connected at 866mbps.
Yes, I thoroughly understand the current Wifi marketing. I do have a similar setup, but a $500 router for 200Mbps bump requires some contemplation. Where did you purchase the Asus AC3200 and for how much? What was your rationale for the AC3200?

I'm wondering if the AC1750/1900 routers will provide similar results. E.g. TP-Link Archer C8/C9, Netgear R6400/r7000 or Asus RT-AC66/68U.

Again, thank you and Melvin.
 

melvinchen

Master Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2000
Messages
4,144
Reaction score
35
Yes, I thoroughly understand the current Wifi marketing. I do have a similar setup, but a $500 router for 200Mbps bump requires some contemplation. Where did you purchase the Asus AC3200 and for how much? What was your rationale for the AC3200?

I'm wondering if the AC1750/1900 routers will provide similar results. E.g. TP-Link Archer C8/C9, Netgear R6400/r7000 or Asus RT-AC66/68U.

Again, thank you and Melvin.


I'm using the Apple Time Capsule with AirPort Express wireless bridge. I think by at large most routers delivers reasonable throughput. Until we 4X4 device in the market we can dream on achieving 1GBPS on wifi.
 

kaon

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2001
Messages
1,774
Reaction score
29
can anybody sic what gateway and router will you get if u sign the fibre broadband?

moi on 200mbps still using the huawei HG256s (1st generation of device for fibre i think) + the ** D-Link DVG-N5402SP (just found out the port only support up to 100mbps..
I just signed SH residential 1Gbps. (no hub anything else)
ONT is Huawei HG8240H.
Free router is DIR-850L (vertical cylinder), probably will sell it on Carousell.
 

isuzui

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2002
Messages
715
Reaction score
0
Just signed up home 1gbps Fiber Internet $49.90 monthly for 2 years with free $150 Robinson Voucher.

Also upgrade the free router DIR-850L to DIR-868L at extra $120.

Now awaiting for their appointment to come to fix. Pray got a good connection :)
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top