The Hair Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2004
Messages
66,764
Reaction score
2,179
last 60mins.
haha HOOT AH!!! hahaha

thank you to those who ordered!
love you all dip dip
 

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2004
Messages
66,764
Reaction score
2,179
Now offering free mailing for all orders and registered mailing for orders above $50!
Still waiting for the news from Slikhaar regarding the price change.
 

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2007
Messages
5,251
Reaction score
1
Hi guys, can i ask you guys the review of osis cream waz, osis fibre gum and joico erratic molding clay? Thanks

Oasis fibre gum does not come with strong hold. It's main purpose is to give some texture to the hair. Like the name suggests, the styling products act like a gum. Tho easy to apply, it does not possess enough holding power to meet the needs for most of us, esp in Singapore humid climate.
 

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2007
Messages
5,251
Reaction score
1
I don't mind paying a little bit premium for good product :)

Prod_Ingr_Web.jpg


I heard their stuffs are natural too..

It depends on your needs, if you are looking for natural stuffs, this can mean several things.

1. You are concerned over your hair condition yet wanting to style. If your condition is worth taking note of, then you can consider going for medicated products. But such products will not be likely to come with strong hold, for obvious reasons. Because the target audience need not too high holding power (due to the low proximity of hair), this kind of products would suffice.

2. You are just concerned as a form of pre empt. There is no real urgency of your hair condition. In this case, I would suggest you to focus on repairing products (eg shampoo or even conditioner, for maintenance purposes) instead of going after styling products which are marketed to be organic. Firstly, for economic reasons, secondly for practical reasons. There are tons of products out there which perform much better at lower price points.

3. Your budget simply allows you to and you don't mind trying out, then in this case, you may go ahead to try them out.
 

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2007
Messages
5,251
Reaction score
1
To be honest I am not really sure. As I have checked online for some ways to cure dry scalp and almost everyone will say "Gentle Shampoo". I did have a pretty bad case of dry scalp and since then it has healed alot but there is still there. I was hoping to get a "gentle" shampoo for that.

Any you would recommend?

Probably the reason why you see people recommending gentle might be because you do not want to use a strong shampoo that might be too over-drying for your scalp. This might make your scalp even drier. Such shampoo you can see it as deep cleansing whereby they would strip your hair oils off the hair and naturally your scalp might be affected too. However, this doesn't mean that you should avoid all deep cleansing at all costs. You may reduce frequency or go for lighter weight of these to derive the benefits, as there could still be dry scalp yet oily hair conditions too. Example could be carbolic shampoo which was mentioned too. I just finished testing for Feeling Mint shampoo and conditioner (same brand as powerpoint). The results are very good and I will be bringing them in very soon. For those who want to cleanse the hair well and feel refreshed after shower, do not look further. This is what you should be buying!

Alternatively, it would be good to couple it with a moisturizing shampoo like what was also mentioned, vogne can be a good option for consideration. Pote shampoo can be another option too and it's organic. :)

http://theprettyjerk.com/product-category/products/repair
 

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2007
Messages
5,251
Reaction score
1
Ok, the Powerpoint spray I ordered from junhong came last night. My biggest regret is that I didn't order this earlier!

very impressed by the fact that the hair managed to last the whole working day and when i came home, the hair looks exactly the same as it did when i stepped out of the house after styling.

so far, the spray managed to withstand mild to medium strength winds (medium strength = strong enough to make a huge portion of your hair fly in the direction of the wind), and after the wind stops, the hair pretty much falls back into place. Of course, need to use my hand to scrunch 2 - 3 times but that's it. previously, under same wind situations, i had to go toilet to re-style whole head due to hairstyle totally got walloped out of shape by wind.

can really feel like there's a 200 - 300g of "material weight" / heaviness on top of the hair, but funny thing is, it doesn't affect the hair volume and even gives definition to permed hair.

one thing which gave me a surprise is how big the spray can is. :D
was expecting something like a normal size gatsby can but it's like 50 - 60% larger. it's a good thing though.

i've yet to test the spray in those strong and super strong wind conditions, like the area around marina square often where the wind feels like beach level winds. :D

whether powerpoint spray will prove a match for those levels of winds will need to be seen and tested maybe this week or next week. :D

Thanks for the well written review. This is going up my site! You may choose to try out ebl hairspray in the future for even stronger hold. :)
 

Bulletbreaker

Senior Member
Joined
May 11, 2012
Messages
788
Reaction score
15
Penhaligon's bayolea pomade just arrived, using it now. It's definitely oil based and the scent is amazing! My friends think I used a perfume when the scent comes from my hair. It's a medium hold, but still able to style according to my preference. After taking advantage of a strong hold pomade, now I know how medium hold, holds my hair LOL. Need to check every now and then if it runs out of place :s13:

On a side note, using a Comb from MetalCombWorks. Love how it's titanium and how accurate the spacing between teeth. It's a tad bit expensive but it's worth for EDC (everyday carry). Unbreakable and unbendable!
 
Last edited:

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2004
Messages
66,764
Reaction score
2,179
Penhaligon's bayolea pomade just arrived, using it now. It's definitely oil based and the scent is amazing! My friends think I used a perfume when the scent comes from my hair. It's a medium hold, but still able to style according to my preference. After taking advantage of a strong hold pomade, now I know how medium hold, holds my hair LOL. Need to check every now and then if it runs out of place :s13:

On a side note, using a Comb from MetalCombWorks. Love how it's titanium and how accurate the spacing between teeth. It's a tad bit expensive but it's worth for EDC (everyday carry). Unbreakable and unbendable!

really is elite. haha show your hairdo?
 

deadbeat

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
18,253
Reaction score
2
Personally, I feel that GD might be too heavy for you to achieve the quiff that you want. You will need to use a finishing spray to ensure that it lasts through the day. I think gx mentioned about dynamite clay which might be more lightweight to achieve what you want.

Claymation, as many bros had commented, does not come with ideal hold. Quicksand, personally tried and proven, comes with no hold at all. I might be wrong but IMO, this is one of the products that basically does nothing. At least for me.

In a nutshell, you should be looking out for something that is lightweight. Its good that you know what you want - high hold and matte finish. Alternatively, EBL taste clay or vantachi clay can be options for your consideration too. :)
I have the exact same requirements: lightweight, high hold and matte finish. Guess what, I have been using vantachi clay for the past 2 years. Longest I ever used a product continuously and that's how good it is. Been ordering them from theprettyjerk and they are well worth the price especially if you get them in the 2 for $30 bundle!

I can honestly say I tried almost all of the other hair products listed in this entire long thread and I still prefer vantachi clay the most. Joico quality and hold is nowhere near this if you think its the same. Been there tried that.
 

deaththeorist

Master Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2011
Messages
3,480
Reaction score
0
I have the exact same requirements: lightweight, high hold and matte finish. Guess what, I have been using vantachi clay for the past 2 years. Longest I ever used a product continuously and that's how good it is. Been ordering them from theprettyjerk and they are well worth the price especially if you get them in the 2 for $30 bundle!

I can honestly say I tried almost all of the other hair products listed in this entire long thread and I still prefer vantachi clay the most. Joico quality and hold is nowhere near this if you think its the same. Been there tried that.

vantachi >>>>>>>>>> joico
 

deaththeorist

Master Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2011
Messages
3,480
Reaction score
0
Penhaligon's bayolea pomade just arrived, using it now. It's definitely oil based and the scent is amazing! My friends think I used a perfume when the scent comes from my hair. It's a medium hold, but still able to style according to my preference. After taking advantage of a strong hold pomade, now I know how medium hold, holds my hair LOL. Need to check every now and then if it runs out of place :s13:

On a side note, using a Comb from MetalCombWorks. Love how it's titanium and how accurate the spacing between teeth. It's a tad bit expensive but it's worth for EDC (everyday carry). Unbreakable and unbendable!

woah metal comb.... go easy on it.... the sharp edges can harm your hair. if the pictures online are accurate, it seems like each teeth has very sharp edges.
 

blurblur123

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2011
Messages
55,196
Reaction score
1,329
If wanna style those upper cut hair style, can recommend what brand ar??? I using claymation but the hold not good
 

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2007
Messages
5,251
Reaction score
1
If wanna style those upper cut hair style, can recommend what brand ar??? I using claymation but the hold not good

I might be wrong but are you referring to undercut instead of uppercut? Uppercut is a name of a brand actually. So if my guess is correct and you are referring to undercut, then you can consider vantachi clay or ebl taste Matt finish clay. Both would be suitable for undercut. In fact there are a lot of products out there, such as gold digger or dynamite clay, that are suitable with undercut because it exists almost everywhere. :)

You should be zooming into further details to identify details such as hold and shine and wash ability, since you are not going after hairstyles which are more product-specific such as slickback or even Mohawk.
 

Bulletbreaker

Senior Member
Joined
May 11, 2012
Messages
788
Reaction score
15
woah metal comb.... go easy on it.... the sharp edges can harm your hair. if the pictures online are accurate, it seems like each teeth has very sharp edges.

It looks like it's sharp, but it isn't :) it runs smoothly in my hands even when I press hard against it.
 

sogatda

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2011
Messages
476
Reaction score
0
how often do you guys shampoo your hair,, just curious... i tried going 1 day without shampoo, hair became damn oily and forehead kena too... but hair texture and feel looks v nice tho haha

is there a shampoo gentle enough for daily use that won't so called cleanses but still leaves some natural oils of the hair?
 

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
7,232
Reaction score
192
how often do you guys shampoo your hair,, just curious... i tried going 1 day without shampoo, hair became damn oily and forehead kena too... but hair texture and feel looks v nice tho haha

is there a shampoo gentle enough for daily use that won't so called cleanses but still leaves some natural oils of the hair?

I believe there is no hard rule on how often one should shampoo his/her hair but always shampoo if one uses styling products on his/her hair.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top