The Watch Thread - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwillie

Master Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2000
Messages
4,875
Reaction score
732
"Have you ever wanted to own a Iphone 7 at a affordable price? Yet apple products are extremely costly? Our credit company offers installment plans for your needs and desire products!
Free installment plan for

1) Exclusive Branded Product
2) Electronics
3) Cars
4) Others
5) Cash Loans Services (Strictly Singaporeans Only)

free installment plan i want!
 

yes1705

Master Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
3,173
Reaction score
0
Whenever I wind up my automatic watch (ETA 2824-2 movement) using the crown, I always hear a distinct gear turning sound and will feel resistance when it is near near fully wound.

Last week, I tried something different.
My automatic watch is fully unwound. Second hand is not moving.
While the second hand remained not moving, I did the following
1. I pulled out the crown all the way to set the hour and minute hands first, aka stop second hand moving mode.
2. Then I push back the crown inside in order to wind up the watch using the crown
This is when I realise I longer hear the gear winding sound as like I used to when I turn the crown to wind the watch. Also, I feel no resistance all the way until I hear the loud "click" signaling fully wound.

Did I spoil something inside by doing Step 1 on a fully unwound automatic watch? If yes, did I spoil the winding gear stuff which made it not working properly like how I had always remembered?

eta can fully wind one meh? the gears will slip when its done.

for what you wanna fully wind a eta?

yes you did i guess.

The clicking sound is when the gears slip. ETA movement have power reserve, I wanted to keep it always topped up.

So I did wrong by setting hour and minute hands first without winding the watch, huh. But I thought by pulling the crown out all the way, the second hands gets "stopped" anyway (regardless if it was moving or already dead due to fully unwound).
 

noidea

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2001
Messages
1,486
Reaction score
52
bought another seiko last thursday.
managed to play taking photo with it ... :D

30337008794_65d5a14b69_b.jpg
 

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2004
Messages
66,764
Reaction score
2,179
The clicking sound is when the gears slip. ETA movement have power reserve, I wanted to keep it always topped up.

So I did wrong by setting hour and minute hands first without winding the watch, huh. But I thought by pulling the crown out all the way, the second hands gets "stopped" anyway (regardless if it was moving or already dead due to fully unwound).

huh?

eta is automatic, so when you wear it, its self winding. so power reserve always is topped up.

not necessarily for you to manual wind it, unless it stop, then you may wanna start winding it before setting the time.

or you can set the time and wind it.

if you wear it daily or 2 days 1 time, you don't need to wind, eta power reserved is around 40-42hours before it stops.

for eta, i don't think you will actually spoil anything even if you keep winding, there will be gear slip (or something) to prevent it from being overwound.

i suggest you, to wind it probably 10-15 rounds and set the time. pls dont spam winding, its automatic aka self winding for a reason.
 
Last edited:

yes1705

Master Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
3,173
Reaction score
0
huh?

eta is automatic, so when you wear it, its self winding. so power reserve always is topped up.

not necessarily for you to manual wind it, unless it stop, then you may wanna start winding it before setting the time.

or you can set the time and wind it.

if you wear it daily or 2 days 1 time, you don't need to wind, eta power reserved is around 40-42hours before it stops.

for eta, i don't think you will actually spoil anything even if you keep winding, there will be gear slip (or something) to prevent it from being overwound.

i suggest you, to wind it probably 10-15 rounds and set the time. pls dont spam winding, its automatic aka self winding for a reason.

My watch was stopped because it was fully unwound. I set the hour and minute hands first then I start to wind up the watch using the crown.

What bothered me now is the usual gear grinding sound I hear when I wind the watch is now gone. Now I near nothing and feel no resistance on the mainspring until I hear the gear slip / clutch click sound then I know to stop winding.
 
Last edited:

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2004
Messages
66,764
Reaction score
2,179
My watch was stopped because it was fully unwound. I set the hour and minute hands first then I start to wind up the watch using the crown.

What bothered me now is the usual gear grinding sound I hear when I wind the watch is now gone. Now I near nothing and feel no resistance on the mainspring until I hear the gear slip / clutch click sound then I know to stop winding.

hmm, i think you may need to get your watch checked.

what watch is that?
 

yes1705

Master Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
3,173
Reaction score
0
29832666985_81560b9428_d.jpg

My less than six months old Hanowa 5584 Swiss Military Automatic.

It can still tell time. But I suspect the mainspring is not properly wounded even I do encounter gear clutch.
 

Ed.YEO

Banned
Joined
Oct 1, 2015
Messages
8,713
Reaction score
0
。。。What bothered me now is the usual gear grinding sound I hear when I wind the watch is now gone. Now I near nothing and feel no resistance on the mainspring until I hear the gear slip / clutch click sound then I know to stop winding.
到了這個階段,你的秒針應該開始掃動了。。。尤其是當你攪了錶冠幾下。如果是老錶的話,攪動錶冠來'發動引擎'的次數會隨著機芯年齡而增加。。。

其實你的機芯沒事,在操作上必須細心一些。自動機芯雖然可以攪冠發動,但不意味可以常常攪冠上鏈。。。尤其是攪冠4,50圈,上得緊緊的。畢竟自動機芯與手操機芯在機件上有別,自動相比手動機芯比較細膩一些。

最好的機芯保養是出自自身的,如果你擁有不少自動機芯為底的手錶,最好戴足一天,還是活動一日後,上滿鏈,隔天要換另一隻錶,就別趕着拉出錶冠截秒。。。至少讓你放下的錶走個24小時才截秒。這樣不止能夠減少因為經常攪冠上鏈而增快機件損壞,還能延長機芯壽命。
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Whenever I wind up my automatic watch (ETA 2824-2 movement) using the crown, I always hear a distinct gear turning sound and will feel resistance when it is near near fully wound.

Last week, I tried something different.
My automatic watch is fully unwound. Second hand is not moving.
While the second hand remained not moving, I did the following
1. I pulled out the crown all the way to set the hour and minute hands first, aka stop second hand moving mode.
2. Then I push back the crown inside in order to wind up the watch using the crown
This is when I realise I longer hear the gear winding sound as like I used to when I turn the crown to wind the watch. Also, I feel no resistance all the way until I hear the loud "click" signaling fully wound.

Did I spoil something inside by doing Step 1 on a fully unwound automatic watch? If yes, did I spoil the winding gear stuff which made it not working properly like how I had always remembered?

read
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/eta-2824-2-winding-question-847082-3.html
 

Henabi

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2004
Messages
32,164
Reaction score
762
Yes1705.... send your watch for servicing.

By setting the time on your eta 2824-2 movt not according to the manufacturer's instructions, you might have spoilt the clutch lever which gives the owner that "physical feedback" whenever he/she winds up the crown.
 
Last edited:

Henabi

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2004
Messages
32,164
Reaction score
762
29832666985_81560b9428_d.jpg

My less than six months old Hanowa 5584 Swiss Military Automatic.

It can still tell time. But I suspect the mainspring is not properly wounded even I do encounter gear clutch.

Even for automatic rolex watches... the mfg instruction for winding and time adjustments are as follows:

1) shake the watch a couple of times. The second's hand should start moving.
2) unscrew the crown and wind the watch about 15 to 20 times.
3) adjust your hour and minutes hands accordingly
4) screw back the crown fully
5)you're ready to enjoy your rolex

Note A: For watches with day, date features, avoid adjusting the time between 9/10 o'clock to 2/3 o'clock range, as this might damage the watch mechanisms for the day/ date features.

Note B: best to read the user instruction manual provided and follow the "Care and maintenance guide" given by the mfger.
 

liveevil

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2009
Messages
637
Reaction score
29
Hi guys, any recommended place to repair watches? My oris monk's power reserve is getting shorter and shorter. Now can only last for 5-6 hours after 1 whole day of wearing.
 

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2003
Messages
23,199
Reaction score
4,632
Is the pricing including shipping to sg worth it? Did you buy from their official site or thru their ebay/ amazon? Thinking of getting an Orient model which is hard to find in sg...

Sent from Samsung SM-N9005 using GAGT

the freight is free for $50 and above purchases but shipped within USA only. So you need to use a concierge service eg Ezbuy, vPost etc
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top