TRA and HSR tickets

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2010
Messages
42,720
Reaction score
738
Really high demand... Long queue for HSR and TRA during CNY
Why queue for CNY?
Usually booked very much way ahead, once date opened, the system will be crawling.
If did not manage to get tickets, most go by bus.
If not, will just use their ezlink and board the train without seating allocation.
 

ApeTruelove

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2009
Messages
7,139
Reaction score
2,081
Why queue for CNY?
Usually booked very much way ahead, once date opened, the system will be crawling.
If did not manage to get tickets, most go by bus.
If not, will just use their ezlink and board the train without seating allocation.
You do know when we purchase the tourist pass, even if you book online, we still need to go to counter to collect the ticket right??? Counter will check our passport and valid entry stamp.
 

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2010
Messages
42,720
Reaction score
738
You do know when we purchase the tourist pass, even if you book online, we still need to go to counter to collect the ticket right??? Counter will check our passport and valid entry stamp.
That is for the redemption.
Not all tickets need redemption.
 

ApeTruelove

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2009
Messages
7,139
Reaction score
2,081
⁹
That is for the redemption.
Not all tickets need redemption.
Well you asked why go and queue during CNY no??? I don't think I got say anything about buying ticket at counter. And I am talking about tourists pass... 2/3days unlimited pass.
 

birmingham123

Master Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2011
Messages
3,014
Reaction score
77
If I am staying near Taichung tra station, and but I intend to take HSR from Tao yuan airport to Taichung because my flight will reach airport 5pm, then I need to take tra from xinwuri tra to Taichung tra, is that better ?

Can I just buy both tsr and tra tickets on the actual day in Taiwan when I arrive ??
 

ApeTruelove

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2009
Messages
7,139
Reaction score
2,081
If I am staying near Taichung tra station, and but I intend to take HSR from Tao yuan airport to Taichung because my flight will reach airport 5pm, then I need to take tra from xinwuri tra to Taichung tra, is that better ?

Can I just buy both tsr and tra tickets on the actual day in Taiwan when I arrive ??

If you can catch the 6pm bus departing from airport to taichung then i suggest you to take bus directly. The timing to taichung roughly about 2hours 15-30mins. Take train +- also about the same time after including the waiting time and walking. I waited for more than 30mins last trip from xinwuri to taichung train station due to delay.

And yes you can get both tickets on the actual day when you arrive.
 

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2010
Messages
42,720
Reaction score
738
If I am staying near Taichung tra station, and but I intend to take HSR from Tao yuan airport to Taichung because my flight will reach airport 5pm, then I need to take tra from xinwuri tra to Taichung tra, is that better ?

Can I just buy both tsr and tra tickets on the actual day in Taiwan when I arrive ??
Eh... I will prefer to take the bus to taichung then.
Time spent between Taoyuan airport to Taoyuan hsr, then to taichung hsr, then from xinwuri to taichung station... A lot of time spent.
If you have more people, grab a car to drive you easier and in fact can even be cheaper and safe all this hassle.
 

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2010
Messages
42,720
Reaction score
738
If you can catch the 6pm bus departing from airport to taichung then i suggest you to take bus directly. The timing to taichung roughly about 2hours 15-30mins. Take train +- also about the same time after including the waiting time and walking. I waited for more than 30mins last trip from xinwuri to taichung train station due to delay.

And yes you can get both tickets on the actual day when you arrive.
5pm arrival into Taiwan on a weekday, then take HSR, is not worth the hassle. More worse on a Friday.
 

birmingham123

Master Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2011
Messages
3,014
Reaction score
77
Eh... I will prefer to take the bus to taichung then.
Time spent between Taoyuan airport to Taoyuan hsr, then to taichung hsr, then from xinwuri to taichung station... A lot of time spent.
If you have more people, grab a car to drive you easier and in fact can even be cheaper and safe all this hassle.

I thought no cab will want to take passenger from Taipei to Taichung because it is too far ? So can take cab ?
 

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2010
Messages
42,720
Reaction score
738
Friday is very crowded for hsr ?
What other alternative is better ?
Like what someone said, go on the bus to taichung...
Friday is seriously crowded.
No cab? There are some, not totally no.
Or arrange pick up service.
 

birmingham123

Master Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2011
Messages
3,014
Reaction score
77
Like what someone said, go on the bus to taichung...
Friday is seriously crowded.
No cab? There are some, not totally no.
Or arrange pick up service.
Oh. I am arriving on Friday indeed. June sch holidays. And thinking to use the 1 for 1 HSR promotion. Bus not as crowded? I thought HSR or train does not allow pple to stand one ?
 

birmingham123

Master Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2011
Messages
3,014
Reaction score
77
If you can catch the 6pm bus departing from airport to taichung then i suggest you to take bus directly. The timing to taichung roughly about 2hours 15-30mins. Take train +- also about the same time after including the waiting time and walking. I waited for more than 30mins last trip from xinwuri to taichung train station due to delay.

And yes you can get both tickets on the actual day when you arrive.
I am thinking if I skip the hsr but take the train instead?

So from Tao yuan airport take express train to Taipei train station and take train to Taichung train station, is it not so troublesome?
 

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2010
Messages
42,720
Reaction score
738
Oh. I am arriving on Friday indeed. June sch holidays. And thinking to use the 1 for 1 HSR promotion. Bus not as crowded? I thought HSR or train does not allow pple to stand one ?
HSR and train do allow standing.
Only certain cabins not allowed on HSR, people like me will stand in between the cabins, as I usually alight the next stop.
For train, those limited express that I know like Puyuma/Limited express 3000, not allowed to stand.
 

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2010
Messages
42,720
Reaction score
738
I am thinking if I skip the hsr but take the train instead?

So from Tao yuan airport take express train to Taipei train station and take train to Taichung train station, is it not so troublesome?
Taoyuan southwards is Hsinchu then to taichung.
Why will you want to go Taipei and go back southwards?
If that is the case, then you may need to consider if you want to change your itinerary?

Since you are going during June, likely with kids etc.
Alternatively is to just get a private shuttle.
Price is actually not much more but more convenient for you.
 

rrr2015

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2015
Messages
13,240
Reaction score
4,848
i find TRA faster train like puyuma very rough ride. not sure it's becoz of train or old tracks. definitely no no to allow standing
For train, those limited express that I know like Puyuma/Limited express 3000, not allowed to stand.
 

birmingham123

Master Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2011
Messages
3,014
Reaction score
77
Taoyuan southwards is Hsinchu then to taichung.
Why will you want to go Taipei and go back southwards?
If that is the case, then you may need to consider if you want to change your itinerary?

Since you are going during June, likely with kids etc.
Alternatively is to just get a private shuttle.
Price is actually not much more but more convenient for you.
Private shuttle I heard is every expensive... 250 SGD for a 7 sitter to bring you around ? If got 10 pple, means 500 per day gone...

Someone if from Taipei go Taichung, I heard need pay accomodation for the driver.

Reason I prefer go Taichung instead of stay Taipei is because since I already reach Taiwan at 5pm, I might as well spend few hours go Taichung and start my holiday the next day.
 

rrr2015

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2015
Messages
13,240
Reaction score
4,848
If I am staying near Taichung tra station, and but I intend to take HSR from Tao yuan airport to Taichung because my flight will reach airport 5pm, then I need to take tra from xinwuri tra to Taichung tra, is that better ?

Can I just buy both tsr and tra tickets on the actual day in Taiwan when I arrive ??
just take HSR to xinwuri then cab to Taichung. TRA very crowded.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top