[Update] New Whatsapp Update Lag

fuzzybear

Master Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2000
Messages
2,775
Reaction score
0
On the other hand, what about users that still haven't update their WhatsApp app version to the latest one (that has Background App Refresh capabilities built in)? I think they are still being notified of incoming WhatsApp messages even though their WhatsApp is running in the background without that Background App Refresh feature right?

I think someone posted in a prior post that having Background App Refresh enabled for the latest version of WhatsApp simply means when the user launches WhatsApp, there wouldn't be a delay, i.e. the "Connecting..." status when the user gets notified of an incoming WhatsApp mesaage & him launching the app itself to see the message. However, I'd Background App Refresh activated, for for my case, the "Connecting" delay still occurs when I launch WhatsApp to view a message that I was notified of.

ya i till haven update mine 5s to the new whatsppls with ios7 feel

ya old whatppls donthave the backgroud enabled only the new whatsppls and LINE appls support it

maybe the issue u encounter after u enabled it maybe need to wwait for whatsppls to update more version as this is a new revamp too
 

PetPet

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
95,223
Reaction score
311
That isn't Background App Refresh. The reason why your WhatsApp remain connected is because it was 'launched/opened' last 5 minutes ago.

Apple's multitasking policy allows an app (provided the app requires it) to stay connected for up to 5 (Can't remember. I think with BAR, this number is reduced) minutes before it gets 'cut' off.
 

ralliart12

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2003
Messages
8,663
Reaction score
60
...Apple's multitasking policy allows an app (provided the app requires it) to stay connected for up to 5 (Can't remember. I think with BAR, this number is reduced) minutes before it gets 'cut' off.

So what's the difference in app behaviour for WhatsApp with & without its BAR capability activated?

That isn't Background App Refresh. The reason why your WhatsApp remain connected is because it was 'launched/opened' last 5 minutes ago...

Actually, I wasn't the one who stated this point; it's this fellow:

with bkground app refresh whatsapp should download all new messages immediately even when app is not active. previously without app refresh u will receive e notification, open e app, e app will connect, then download e messages
 

ralliart12

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2003
Messages
8,663
Reaction score
60
err I think apple explains it quite clearly.

iOS: Understanding multitasking

err...I think that link, whilst informative, doesn't really specify whether WhatsApp will remain "connected" or only attempt to re-establish connection upon it bring re-launched. I think that link does suggest that without BAR, WhatsApp may use a polling model that is subjected to iOS's policy, i.e.
"Certain tasks or services can continue to run in the background. To lessen the affect on battery life, normal app background refreshing is scheduled for efficient times, such as when your device is connected to Wi-Fi, plugged into a power source, or being actively used."; with BAR, I think WhatsApp should be using a subscription model that will download new incoming messages the moment its servers receive them, i.e. "When Background App Refresh is on, apps that take advantage of this feature can refresh themselves in the background. For example, an app can check if new content is available and download the updates, or retrieve the updated content in the background when it receives a push notification, so the new content is ready for viewing when you launch the app.".

However, I'm curious, based on what you brought up previously:

...previously without app refresh u will receive e notification, open e app, e app will connect, then download e messages

do you mean for your case (I assume you have BAR activated for WhatsApp), every time you launch WhatsApp, you do not experience the "Connecting" delay?
 

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
125,326
Reaction score
6,587
So now with the app refresh, you won't receive the notification????
 

ah_cheng1882

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2006
Messages
1,819
Reaction score
32
After considering many sources I believe that BAR is smart enough to gauge when u are likely to check your whatsapp and pre-download the messages.
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,481
Reaction score
3,166
err...I think that link, whilst informative, doesn't really specify whether WhatsApp will remain "connected" or only attempt to re-establish connection upon it bring re-launched. I think that link does suggest that without BAR, WhatsApp may use a polling model that is subjected to iOS's policy, i.e.
"Certain tasks or services can continue to run in the background. To lessen the affect on battery life, normal app background refreshing is scheduled for efficient times, such as when your device is connected to Wi-Fi, plugged into a power source, or being actively used."; with BAR, I think WhatsApp should be using a subscription model that will download new incoming messages the moment its servers receive them, i.e. "When Background App Refresh is on, apps that take advantage of this feature can refresh themselves in the background. For example, an app can check if new content is available and download the updates, or retrieve the updated content in the background when it receives a push notification, so the new content is ready for viewing when you launch the app.".

However, I'm curious, based on what you brought up previously:



do you mean for your case (I assume you have BAR activated for WhatsApp), every time you launch WhatsApp, you do not experience the "Connecting" delay?

my understanding from e apple article is this:
I assume messaging apps to have this cycle when they r activated > connect > download messages. if they r switched to e background, e connection stays active for awhile (5mins?) before breaking n e app goes to sleep.

so for those apps with background app refresh, when they r switched to e background, instead of sleeping after e default time allowed to work in e ground, they repeat e cycle of activating > connecting > download messages > sleep based on certain patterns as mentioned in e article.
 

n0d3

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2001
Messages
9,821
Reaction score
25
Updated, the lag seems to have disappeared (transitioning to main screen).

#firstpostof2013
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top