Where to tailor clothes, continued...

apriliasiao

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2001
Messages
9,097
Reaction score
770
anyone knows if there are any altercation services which do double needles heming in the East?
 

kaldorii

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Messages
2,385
Reaction score
2
Hi all, I am in need of some new shirts and want to check with the more experience of you here in terms of cutting -

I have had some very poor experiences with tailors here to the point I am dreading going through it again. No matter where I go there is always excess material on my upper back between my shoulder blades. Their solution is always extremely high darts which is not professional and does not solve the underlying construction issue.

To those who understand construction – how should this be resolved?
Is it the shoulders that need to be taken in more? or is it the angle of the arm sleeve?

Do any tailors do cuttings by hand here? I am tired of the front facing sales people that don’t know about construction.


Thanks for the help

I have the exact same problem as you.. even highlighted this common problem during consultation phase but the problem is still there.

Is there any question I could ask to see if the tailors are just smoking me or that they actually know what they are doing?
I'm looking to tailor a few casual office shirts, dont need perfect fit but looking at budget from +-100 for basic fabric.
Any recommendations?

Also any thoughts on Edit Suits? I'm planning to visit them again because they were very honest previously to the point of turning down my business (cant remember for what reason).
 
Joined
Nov 1, 2024
Messages
126
Reaction score
29
Is there any question I could ask to see if the tailors are just smoking me or that they actually know what they are doing?

Do you cut the fabrics for me?

For Edit Suits, the answer is no.

Sadly, majority of fitters and measurer in Singapore are not the ones who draft and cut your clothes. So there may be communication issues because the cutter has not seen your body or posture to rectify/accommodate differences in body shapes and slopes.

I am not sure for+-$100 shirt, you can get a cutter to measure and fit you. At this budget, the measurer is usually in their twenties or early thirties, so their salaries are lower.

If you have more considerations for skill in shirt making, you can ask these tailors: InPersonam Custom Clothiers, Ron and Rich, Son of a Gan Bespoke, Dylan, Kayjen and The Cutting Room but I think their shirt services start from $200.
 
Last edited:

fade_white

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2005
Messages
46,211
Reaction score
5,990
Hi guys, I would like to make a casual sports jacket/blazer for travelling and casual weekend wear.. any recommended tailors? Not looking for a full suit, blazer and at most matching pants. Budget 200-300 for blazer
 
Last edited:

Genesis

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2009
Messages
1,018
Reaction score
1
Been almost 6 years since i require to wear shirt and pants (not suit), i think i grown like 20kg... all my shirt and pants can't fit anymore, but my current company i'm now required to wear it like once every year.
Got any recommendation for quick solution to get the shirt and pants that fits perfectly and doesn't look over size?
 

Moratia

Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
219
Reaction score
62
Been almost 6 years since i require to wear shirt and pants (not suit), i think i grown like 20kg... all my shirt and pants can't fit anymore, but my current company i'm now required to wear it like once every year.
Got any recommendation for quick solution to get the shirt and pants that fits perfectly and doesn't look over size?

Go uniqlo, get the closest fit for the important things (shoulders, sleeve length for shirt), then alter downwards
 
Joined
Nov 1, 2024
Messages
126
Reaction score
29
Just did a few price checks with local tailors for CMT work. Prices have increased about 15% from 2023. Maybe a lot more Indonesians and Chinese expats are tailoring in Singapore now that Singapore is the regional headquarters for their company.

I also just returned from a tailoring trip to HCMC. Took my son to tailor clothes made from the same fabrics. It was fun.
 

jtlyr05

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2024
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Just did a few price checks with local tailors for CMT work. Prices have increased about 15% from 2023. Maybe a lot more Indonesians and Chinese expats are tailoring in Singapore now that Singapore is the regional headquarters for their company.

I also just returned from a tailoring trip to HCMC. Took my son to tailor clothes made from the same fabrics. It was fun.
Could I ask which tailor(s) did you visit?
 
Joined
Nov 1, 2024
Messages
126
Reaction score
29
The HCMC tailor whom I visited, no longer accepts CMT work. I am an exception as I am a long-time customer/friend. His prices for Scabal, Dormeuil and Drago super 130 fabrics are 20M VND. Otherwise, there are still many tailors in HCMC who can CMT a half canvas suit for 6-10M VND

I did price checks with red dot bespoke, Sakal, seamless bespoke, home-based tailor, they still accept CMT work, but the price is like their basic line, ie workmanship price is the same as their basic line which included fabrics (likely wool polyester blends)
 
Last edited:

frozenfridge12

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2023
Messages
11
Reaction score
1
Looking to make a suit for meetings every now and then so looking at VBC 110/120. Budget is around $1k to $1.6k.

Considering visiting BKK since their turnover is fast, J&S seems to be decent. How does their quality (mainly fit) compare to Singapore tailors in similar price range like Ron and Rich (I have good experience making trousers in interesting designs) or Yeossal. From social media, it seems that these Singapore tailors have a better fit and style for their MTM suits, but it could also just be better photography and body types.

Hoping to get advice on this, if the fit from a BKK tailor with a week turnover can match a Singapore tailor which sources from Chinese factory (long turnover given Chinese New Year for them) and any recommendations on other tailors to try in BKK or Singapore.
Thanks!
 
Joined
Nov 1, 2024
Messages
126
Reaction score
29
Looking to make a suit for meetings every now and then so looking at VBC 110/120. Budget is around $1k to $1.6k.

Considering visiting BKK since their turnover is fast, J&S seems to be decent. How does their quality (mainly fit) compare to Singapore tailors in similar price range like Ron and Rich (I have good experience making trousers in interesting designs) or Yeossal. From social media, it seems that these Singapore tailors have a better fit and style for their MTM suits, but it could also just be better photography and body types.

Hoping to get advice on this, if the fit from a BKK tailor with a week turnover can match a Singapore tailor which sources from Chinese factory (long turnover given Chinese New Year for them) and any recommendations on other tailors to try in BKK or Singapore.
Thanks!
Ron and Rich has the widest variety of designs for trousers in Singapore. From what I know, Ron and Rich can cut patterns themselves, so I do not think they outsource.

Fast turnover is not necessarily good as it indicates the construction could be fused. Cost should be your main consideration for going to BKK, as even with shipping the entire finished suit over, the cost will still be lower than in Singapore unless you go for branded fabrics (tax for imported fabrics is higher in Thailand than Singapore).

$1.6k can get a suit using VBC 110/120 in Singapore.
 

frozenfridge12

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2023
Messages
11
Reaction score
1
Ron and Rich has the widest variety of designs for trousers in Singapore. From what I know, Ron and Rich can cut patterns themselves, so I do not think they outsource.

Fast turnover is not necessarily good as it indicates the construction could be fused. Cost should be your main consideration for going to BKK, as even with shipping the entire finished suit over, the cost will still be lower than in Singapore unless you go for branded fabrics (tax for imported fabrics is higher in Thailand than Singapore).

$1.6k can get a suit using VBC 110/120 in Singapore.
Cool, thanks!

So I have been quoted around S$1.1 for a half-canvassed entry-level VBC110 suit in BKK by Jesse & Sons, and S$1.6 in Singapore by R&R. Are there any other Is there a difference in the fit? J&S says a half-canvassed construction is doable in a week (I can tell the difference between half-canvas and fused), so I would like to know if I'm getting a 50-60% as opposed to a 70-80% of the quality of something made over 2-3 months in Singapore. Happy to shell out some money for something made on an urgent basis, since I will need multiple suits anyways.
 
Joined
Nov 1, 2024
Messages
126
Reaction score
29
Cool, thanks!

So I have been quoted around S$1.1 for a half-canvassed entry-level VBC110 suit in BKK by Jesse & Sons, and S$1.6 in Singapore by R&R. Are there any other Is there a difference in the fit? J&S says a half-canvassed construction is doable in a week (I can tell the difference between half-canvas and fused), so I would like to know if I'm getting a 50-60% as opposed to a 70-80% of the quality of something made over 2-3 months in Singapore. Happy to shell out some money for something made on an urgent basis, since I will need multiple suits anyways.
Your best help will be Instagram because I doubt there is someone who visited both before, around the same time to have the same body shape when tailoring at both tailors, to compare the fit in apple to apple comparison.

If you one shot make 3 suits, then I think it's a no brainer to go JS, since you get 3 suits for the price of 2 suits in Singapore. Btw, the service by JS is top notch, just that I have other suit tailors to go to. JS can make Milanese buttonholes now.
 
Joined
Nov 1, 2024
Messages
126
Reaction score
29
If you maintain your weight and body shape, there is an advantage with tailoring overseas. Provided you are happy with the fit and workmanship, you can reorder new suit using your old measurements and save some money in future.
 

Moratia

Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
219
Reaction score
62
paladin above would probs have more experience than me with J&S, but personally wasn't impressed by their product, even on a price point level. And I got them before price hike too
 

HappyGoGo

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2025
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Not sure if this had been recommended in earlier posts… can visit Chinatown (e building in front of OG shopping centre), there are shops selling raw materials (Cloth, buttons, zips etc) for making clothings and also tailors/seamstresses shops (under one root, same building), can go there see see look look 👀

Unable to recommend any shop cos i just happened to know/passed by those shops (when i went there to purchase my toiletries). :)
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top